HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a Practical Pistol Competition at my local range this weekend and experienced FTF or 'Fail to Fire' 3 times (once during each drill of 60 shots). Each round consists of 10 strings of 6 shots (2 strings in 20 secs; 3 strings in 45 secs; 3 strings in 45 secs; and last 2 strings in 20 secs).

Each failure happened around the 5th to 6th string. I'm positive I squeezed the cocker when I pulled the trigger but it didn't fire. I had to rack the slide to eject and load the next round. Then it fired with no problem. I retrieve the ejected round and used it for the next string. No problem.

My P7 PSP has been very reliable before this event and I never experienced any problem regardless of what ammo I used. Though I never shot more than 30 rounds at a time with no cool down period. For practice, I've been using Remington UMC and Winchester White Box. Recently, I shot 100 rounds of Winchester NATO 124gr +P, which is much dirtier and smelly.

Is this a Fail to Feed OR Fail to Fire OR problem with the ammo? FYI, I clean my P7 and the piston before the event. So the gun should be clean. Did the overheating cause the pistol not to fire? Or it's a mechinical issue. I haven't cleaned the firing pin for a while.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Was the gun in battery when you pulled the trigger? If so, it's not a failure to feed.

It is a failure to fire. Failure to fire can be caused by either the gun or the ammo. In the case of the gun, it'd most likely be an out-of-spec (weak) striker spring. When you said that you are positive you were depressing the cocker.....did the gun go click when you tried to fire? If so, it was obviously cocked. If not, it wasn't cocked, and something in the cocking assembly could be broken and causing intermittent problems.

In the case of the ammo, it could be a hard primer.....although the P7 doesn't typically have a problem with hard primers. What ammo were you shooting when you had the failures to fire?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hard to tell, since you said your PSP has been reliable before the event.
I've never used my PSP in any action pistol event. But sometimes during practice, under a little duress, the timing of my squeezing the cocker and pulling the trigger did not always synch, and the P7 will not fire. I don't know if this is what happened to you. I'd go back to the practice range and see if you can repeat the FTF. If it does not repeat, it might be the timing of squeee and trigger pull, or could be ammo.
Like I said, hard to tell from where I sit. Good luck! Would love to hear more about your future experiences using a P7 PSP in PPC events!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the gun in battery when you pulled the trigger? If so, it's not a failure to feed.

It is a failure to fire. Failure to fire can be caused by either the gun or the ammo. In the case of the gun, it'd most likely be an out-of-spec (weak) striker spring. When you said that you are positive you were depressing the cocker.....did the gun go click when you tried to fire? If so, it was obviously cocked. If not, it wasn't cocked, and something in the cocking assembly could be broken and causing intermittent problems.

In the case of the ammo, it could be a hard primer.....although the P7 doesn't typically have a problem with hard primers. What ammo were you shooting when you had the failures to fire?
At least once during the failure, I re-cocked but it didn't go 'click' or fire. I had to rack the slide to eject and load the next round. Then, it fired with no problem. It's strange that it happened around the 4th to 5th string (25th to 30th round of fire).

The next day I went to the range and fired 40 rounds without any problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to tell, since you said your PSP has been reliable before the event.
I've never used my PSP in any action pistol event. But sometimes during practice, under a little duress, the timing of my squeezing the cocker and pulling the trigger did not always synch, and the P7 will not fire. I don't know if this is what happened to you. I'd go back to the practice range and see if you can repeat the FTF. If it does not repeat, it might be the timing of squeee and trigger pull, or could be ammo.
Like I said, hard to tell from where I sit. Good luck! Would love to hear more about your future experiences using a P7 PSP in PPC events!
As a matter of fact, it was the first time ever I did practical shooting (informal PPC at the range but within time constraint). I happened to have 3 magzines (min. requirement) for my P7 so I used it. I'll pay more attention to the timing of squeezing the cocker and pulling the trigger next time.

The ammo I used are 115gr Winchester White Box and Winchester 124gr NATO +P.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I re-cocked but it didn't go 'click' or fire.
If it didn't go click after you pulled the trigger, then it wasn't cocked. So either you weren't depressing the lever fully, or something is broken.

I'll pay more attention to the timing of squeezing the cocker and pulling the trigger next time.
Is there something specific to PPC that would require you to time cocking the pistol? It should be cocked as soon as you know you're on the way to shooting something, and then you just hold down the lever until there's no more targets.....there's not much timing involved. In addition, if you had the trigger pulled before you cocked it, the P7 would still fire after squeezing the cocking lever (provided the trigger is held to the rear). I'm genuinely confused.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TGS,

Thanks for your input. I did hold down the lever until all bullets were fired. I could have accidentally release the lever without noticing and then pulled the trigger. What I refferred to as the "timing" is that I need to pay more attention holding down the lever all the time while firing the gun.

BTW, I was able to fire over 30 rounds in another session with no problems. If something is broken, would I be able to fire the gun anymore?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Did the ejected round that didn't fire have a mark on the primer? If so its a hard primer, which WWB is known to have. If there was no mark, and there was no click when you pulled the trigger, than you probably have a weak firing pin return spring, and the striker didn't reset after firing the previous round.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ah question, why are you re-squeezing the grip? once you start to fire and have already depressed the grip and you fired the round you shouldn't be releasing the grip on every shot. Keep it pressed and the pistol should be going bang on every shot. If I am missing something or misunderstanding please someone clarify.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Might have weak sear lever spring. Causing sluggish sear lever operation. I.E. sear lever isn't coming up fast enough to catch the striker during cycling.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ah question, why are you re-squeezing the grip? once you start to fire and have already depressed the grip and you fired the round you shouldn't be releasing the grip on every shot. Keep it pressed and the pistol should be going bang on every shot. If I am missing something or misunderstanding please someone clarify.
He already addressed this. Emphasis added:

TGS,

Thanks for your input. I did hold down the lever until all bullets were fired. I could have accidentally release the lever without noticing and then pulled the trigger. What I refferred to as the "timing" is that I need to pay more attention holding down the lever all the time while firing the gun.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks TGS, I must of missed that. If I were you I would retune the pistol with a complete spring tune up. Only then you will know
For sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts