HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a P7 two months ago, gave it a good cleaning, and took it to the range (awesome). Now I'm doing more of a conditioning and further cleaning (not going into the clockwork though). I haven't worked with older steel of this quality before and wanted to post what I'm doing and ask some opinions to make sure I'm not doing anything detrimental.
First of all, I cleaned out the gas cylinder, bore, feed ramp, basic run through with M-Pro 7. It came with a light layer of grease on the rails. Grease didn't look dirty so I left it, though I might de-grease and CLP lube it later.
I started cleaning the magazines tonight, took them apart, M-Pro'd the insides, and then put a very fine layer of CMP Break Free on the springs with a rag. That's it, they were pretty dirty. I found tons of grease inside one of the mags when I took it apart, I don't know who thought that was a good idea. Cleaning all that out.

My main question is conditioning. When I'm doing a gun, I usually always run an oiled patch through the barrel after cleaning it and then use a rag to apply a light layer of CLP oil over every external and accessible internal surface just to have a layer to keep moisture out, paying extra attention to friction points. I'm not putting any lube whatsoever in gas cylinder. Good idea or bad idea with the P7??
I noticed these textures (the lines and pockmarks) on the slide, I don't know if they're something I need to worry about?? Sorry about picture size, I can't seem to get them smaller.
Any advice is appreciated, I can only afford one.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You should not have any problems with what you are doing. The cleaner you keep it, the better. I DO NOT recommend using the carbon scraper to clean the gas cylinder, it can cause more damage then good. You should only use the factory wire brush to clean the cylinder. I would also recommend pulling the firing pin assembly and cleaning/oiling it as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you plan on carrying it, remove the lube from inside the magazine. It attracts dust and can bind the follower.

Renaissance wax can be used to preserve the exterior steel (my preference on blued guns). Other good options include Eezox and Ballistol. Breakfree is fairly toxic and evaporates too fast.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to try to pull the firing pin assembly. Will have to look up how.

Renaissance wax can be used to preserve the exterior steel (my preference on blued guns). Other good options include Eezox and Ballistol. Breakfree is fairly toxic and evaporates too fast.
Ah I use Renaissance wax on holsters. Maybe I'll use it on the exterior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts