HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new-to-me P7M8 to the range for the first time a couple days ago. I loaded my first magazine and squeezed the cocker to release the slide. The gun went off unintentionally and successfully chambered another round. I was pleased that I had kept the muzzle pointed downrange, but also upset I had apparently discharged a weapon negligently. Because the P7 trigger is lighter than what I am used to, I assumed I had either pulled it by accident or had just been too close to it and bumped it. I've heard many excuses from people who claimed to not have been on the trigger, so I humbly reminded myself to be more vigilant about trigger finger placement for the rest of the day. I and two other people shot it that day and there were no other issues.

Earlier today the exact same thing happened. First magazine, gun locked back, loaded magazine inserted, consciously made sure trigger finger was nowhere near the trigger, squeezed the cocker and bang. Another unintentional discharge. Different ammunition than last time too. Attempts to replicate this malfunction were unsuccessful. In fact, during my testing, I found that the gun will not fire if you drop the slide with the trigger pulled. If the slide is forward, holding down the trigger and then squeezing the cocker will fire the gun, as is stated in the manual. But, if the slide is locked back, either with the magazine or with the slide lock button, dropping it with the trigger pulled will result in a dead trigger. Either Releasing and squeezing the cocker or pulling the trigger again will fire the gun. I assume this function is intentional.

My conclusion is the gun has now malfunctioned twice with almost exactly the same conditions. I.e. first magazine and dropping the slide with the cocker.

Question 1:
Has anyone else had/heard-of this problem?
All I've found so far is vague posts on the NJ state police having unrelated problems.

Question 2:
Is the gun supposed to fire when the slide is dropped with the trigger depressed? I haven't found any documentation on this. Not firing as described above seems awfully useful to be a malfunction.

Thanks in advance!

·
Priest of the P7
5,243 Posts
I’ve not heard of that, but I would cease using that gun and send it to James at Teufelshund Tactical for him to inspect it. There is definitely something not right, obviously.

What is the date code?

Man, REALLY SHlTTY if someone sold you that gun knowing about that malfunction.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Can’t answer question 1 but the answer to question 2 is yes the gun will fire when trigger is depressed and cocked. That is considered double action so Iv heard.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I am not a P7 expert but that describes a firing pin spring that is too weak to resist the inertia of of the slide. As others have said, I would not use the pistol and either send to Teufelshund Tactical and/or replace the FP spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
1,190 Posts
Ship it to an experienced smith - mine have worked flawlessly for decades - other than to take off the slide / clean piston - I would not even attempt to further take down. Have lots of tools & consider myself somewhat skilled - but P7 is one of the more complicated pistols.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not a P7 expert but that describes a firing pin spring that is too weak to resist the inertia of of the slide. As others have said, I would not use the pistol and either send to Teufelshund Tactical and/or replace the FP spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The P7 doesn’t have an inertial firing pin. It has a one piece striker that is held in the cocked position whenever the grip cocker is squeezed.
I agree with the rest of your post. He should send it to a qualified gunsmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I have done a little more research and....I think I may have found the problem.
DSC_0089.JPG

All I have done in this picture is remove the slide and firing pin assembly, as per the manuals takedown instructions. Am I going crazy or is there a piece missing? Isn't there supposed to be a drop safety in there?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thank you all for your advice. I have done a little more research and....I think I may have found the problem. View attachment 298847
All I have done in this picture is remove the slide and firing pin assembly, as per the manuals takedown instructions. Am I going crazy or is there a piece missing? Isn't there supposed to be a drop safety in there?
Yes there is and yours is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
In the meantime, I think you would not be remiss in excoriating the individual who sold you that weapon, in that condition. Very fortunate you have good muzzle discipline.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. Good job diagnosing it, but kind of obvious given the issues.

Seeing these chromed P7s makes me feel better about chroming mine (and potentially reducing value).

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I’d still send this to James. If it has this issue, who knows what else. Peace of mind is worth the investment.
I 100% agree. Clearly your firearm was reassembled by someone who was careless or clueless. Either way it is unsafe and there could be other issues. A trip to James @Teufelshund Tactical is well worth the peace of mind, protection of your investment and prevention of possible injury or worse.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
1,190 Posts
@StuG
I commend you for your due diligence - years ago bought several GO / NO GO gauges for my fav rounds - my friends think I am too anal when I check most every firearm which I buy - even “new”
You can never be too careful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts