HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this by no means ever makes me hesitate to pick up another HK. I absolutely love just about everything they make.

My last P2000 had some minor finish issues and HK CS insisted on sending them the slide and got it right back to me with a huge bonus (that I offered to buy). Super customer service!

With that aside, allow my OCD to make some comments.

The slide does have tooling marks all over the insides from being machined out.

I'm picking up my first USP 45 at $849 (great for CA) on Tuesday, which oddly was made the same year as my friends who bought his 3 years ago.
The barrel has very slight wear at the rear edge of the hood as well as the slide which had a small shiny spot near the muzzle.

My friend's USP and P2000SK came with similar blemishes and such.

Is this common with HK's handguns or is our HK distributor juggling their pistols at night?

Those cheap Austrian pistols come absolutely flawless finish wise for much less money, so I'm curious why nearly every HK I've seen at a store seems to have some minor finish wear.

Of course after a couple range trips and drawing from holster the HK looks same as any pistol but holds up even better. The Austrians catch up and pass in wear very quickly. My next purchase will be a P2000sk even if it has a blemish the shape of a unicorn across the slide.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes indeed, they are much less sensitive to the cosmetic nature of their pistols. Metal transfer on slides, wear on the barrel hood, play in the hammer, milling marks inside the slide. All of these were on my P30LS when I got it. Now it has skate tape all over it, a mag well that looks like I took a solder iron to it from reloads, holster wear in all kinds of places, and almost 30k rounds with no breakages or malfunctions.

She's an ugly girl, but she runs like a singer. Happy and safe shooting!!!��

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gotta say, this isn't the norm, nor has it been my experience. Perhaps your dealer plays with them before they're on display? I bought a Glock 30 NIB and the back of the slide protruded almost a 1/4 inch and was snagging on my shirts etc. Glock told me to pound sand basically as it was within their accepted specs (and this was the LE side of the house). In truth, it's a gun, a heavily reliable, built rock solid gun that won't fail you. It's not to be hung on a wall and admired. I'm a bit OCD myself but let it go, shoot it, and have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Facepalm). It's fine, go shoot it.
I know and it's exactly what I do, just curious about the general fit and finish others experience as my friend and I both got slightly worn pistols all 4-5 purchases.

We fixed it by doing hundreds of holster draw dry fires and many many range trips. HK's actually look better well-worn.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I always ask my FFL to take out my HKs and throw them around in the parking lot before I even come pick them up. I believe that makes me more of a man in some way. TOOLS.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Does this get you down ? It's the last operation on the slide. You can either get over it , or get under it . Your HK is normal and will prolly outlast us all .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I don't know about the finish of the Austrian brand. I see them in the case at the gun shop and many, and I mean many of them are marked and scratched. There are numerous complaints about glock finish on other forums. I don't have your experience at all with my hks. And I don't care what a gun looks like on the inside, I assume if it's made with tools it will have tooling marks. Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
On both my HKs I haven't seen anything that I could notice fit & finish wise. The rear or front sights on my P2000SK needed just a tiny adjustment to center them as they were just slightly off center but thats it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My P2000 literally has little round swirl tool marks all inside slide and my friend's USP looked like it went through a retro magpul dynamics handgun course.

Yet they're still some of our favorite pistols and are both closet-HKfanboys.

I just think it's odd all 5 HKs between us came a little weathered for their price. 'It's fine shoot it' I agree with but I hope next time I spend a grand on a gun its pristine. I do however suspect my FFL and plan to go elsewhere and get one still NIB in the back room.

I've never seen an 'imperfect' Glock fit and finish wise when new. Still prefer my HKs.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
One of my SP5K was missing the black matte finish around the end of the barrel but generally every HK I have bought were all pretty flawless. Even both my P7's which were safe queens. :)

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
My P2000 literally has little round swirl tool marks all inside slide and my friend's USP looked like it went through a retro magpul dynamics handgun course.

I just think it's odd all 5 HKs between us came a little weathered for their price. 'It's fine shoot it' I agree with but I hope next time I spend a grand on a gun its pristine. I do however suspect my FFL and plan to go elsewhere and get one still NIB in the back room.

I've never seen an 'imperfect' Glock fit and finish wise when new. Still prefer my HKs.

I'd say every pistol I've ever bought was as nice as could be expected out of the box. But at my lgs there are some glocks with so many scratches on them it's hard to believe they made it out of the factory. Is still buy one without giving it a second thought, though. But I shoot all my guns and end up scratching them somehow:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Machine chatter like that will vary from machine to machine and pistol to pistol as cutting tools dull and are replaced, so you may see more or less from one pistol to another. Performance-wise it makes no difference. In fact, my cleanest looking P2000 is my designated training gun and has the worst trigger pull, while my P2000 with the most chatter has the smoothest, lightest pull.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
WOW! Another new member to this forum and their third post is crying about machine marks on internals? Really?
Machine marks show it was machined and in no way harm performance. I'd rather see marks that fire a cast piece!
If you want pretty, by a barbie doll and paint her with makeup. HKs are made for serious use. they are a tool. A machine to make use of.
They are expected to gain many love kisses from real men and woman that work them out.
The more my HK gets shiny edges the better for me! I am smart enough to have read about the HK and its hostile environment finishes and I do not scare when I see a surface area rub... nor am I unaware that a coat of oil makes them all look purdy once more.
If you buy a HK, please buy it for the purposes HK designed it so well for... USE!
Poor HK has to take it back so they can rub some oil for you or use some magic black which makes one feel better?
Its amazingly protected steel! Go try and wear on out first before one cries about finish! Please... I bet those 200,000 + rounds you fire, just might shake that pre-school OCD out of you for good! We used to spank children and that stuff fell out of them naturally. Now millennials are not allowed real education so they grow up all worried that a fine machinist left some tooling marks where finish smooth was never intended nor needed.
Shoot it already! The USP 45 is one fine battle tank of a desiderata. Take it out and work it out thoroughly and then write a true range report! Otherwise, your new membership becomes auspicious , IMO

·
Banned
2,011 Posts

I won't rag on you, but I can show you major voids in the precision cast HK 416 receivers where you can tell they were noticed at the HK factory and deemed fine for use!! Some on AI date coded receivers so not just a very early mistake..

Weapons of war for MIL/or LEO use!! Bust out the rattle can and spray it..;-)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I've never seen an 'imperfect' Glock fit and finish wise when new.
For you, I might suggest a Block 17! You should be able to find a very low price on one considering that most departments are getting rid of the death traps :biggrin:
I think they are nature's way of clearing out certain DNA. :00000:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts