HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

After my house got broken into a couple of years ago they took just about everything i owned while i was getting beaten like an egg in my bedroom, cash, tv, motorbike and the list goes on. I found the need to go out and arm my self and got a HK Mark 23 pistol for sale online, it is very well weighted for me and a nice solid design. I have never been a lover of guns really i would prefer not to use one but after the horrible experience i had, Not again! The pistol has served well now for a couple of years but i haven't had to use it which is a bonus!! all has been quiet. Either way i still once a month fire it off in the back garden and give it a good clean to maintain and let people in the area know i have a gun :biggrin:

Anyway i took it out last weekend to do my monthly ritual and it's jammed up on me.. i loaded it as usual and fired 5 rounds until it stopped firing tried to empty the gun and no look still won't fire. When it comes to cleaning guns i'm ok but fixing them no way.. I don't have the first clue and don't know what will happen if a problem occurs while disassembling the Mark 23.

So i thought i would come on here first get some advice from the professionals. Basically is this going to be an easy fix or am i going to have to visit the local firearm store and see what he says once he got it??

SPECS
Caliber: .45 AUTO
overall length: 9.65 in
Weight: 39.36 oz
Magazine capacity: 12 cartridges
Sight: Fixed (Open square notch rear sight with contrast points)

Any information is greatly appreciated

Example image below

1-Mark-23-LEFT-AUG-19-2014.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may have to describe the problem with a bit more detail, not firing? failure to eject? if 'jamming' how? ..... could be something as simple as a weak magazine spring....more details and I'm sure some will be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If you decide it is in need of an armorer, do not take it to the LGS. Consider sending it to Marine0303 a certified HK armorer you can trust, or HK itself for warranty work if that is required, although rare. Also, pic and better description of what the issue is would be helpful.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You're the first person I've heard of who considers themselves "not a lover of guns" but their only gun is a Mark 23! That's kind of like saying, "I'm not really into cars, so I only have a Lambo Aventador in the garage" ;)

Good luck with your Mark 23, they're amazing guns. Describe the issue in detail to us (failure to eject, stovepiping, whatever the issue may be), and consider sending it to James (Marine0303) or HK Customer Service if it's determined that maintenance is necessary. Myself, I'm thinking it may be the ammo.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Start with the basics. In addition to ammunition, the lack of lube may cause issues, especially in a tight tolerance pistol. Do you use oil or grease for lube? Oil runs off quickly. Put some light weight gun grease (SLIDE GLIDE Lite is my preference) and see if that doesn't improve performance.

And make sure your rounds are loaded in the magazines correctly, not like what HK showed in their ads... :biggrin:

·
Priest of the P7
4,787 Posts
Ammo. What ammo are you using? Try a new box. Did it happen with both mags?

Most failures, especially with a pistol like the Mark 23, are going to be either the ammo or the magazine. In this case, I bet you a dollar it's the ammo.

No offense, but I wish a few more people who are "not lovers of guns" would have an experience like yours and get with the program.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ammo. What ammo are you using? Try a new box. Did it happen with both mags?

Most failures, especially with a pistol like the Mark 23, are going to be either the ammo or the magazine. In this case, I bet you a dollar it's the ammo.

No offense, but I wish a few more people who are "not lovers of guns" would have an experience like yours and get with the program.
or JUST get with the program.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sorry to hear about your being attacked and the problem with your HK pistol.

In addition to ammo being used for self defense and practice please let us know what lube you are using.

The manual gives you the basics on lubing with the most important areas being the steel tabs in the frame that the slide rides on and the slide rail on each side of the slide (inside) where it engages those steel tabs which should also be completely but lightly lubed and also the entire exterior of the barrel and the barrel locking lug where it engages inside the pistol. The image below shows important lube points in red. I lube my recoil spring with spray lube such as Breakfree CLP and then let it drain off the excess on a paper towel but I suppose a Q-Tip wet with oil could also be used but more tedious. I don't use Brekfree CLP for lubing anything else though but use Weaponshield or M-Pro 7 LPX. Also avoid Frog Lube like the plague!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
since you are a pistol rookie maybe you are "limp wristing" the pistol?? the Mark 23 is a handful of pistol and as people have stated an odd first pistol. One thing is for sure, its the holy grail of HK pistols IMO. keep shooting and get good with it and it will never fail you........

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is this a hoax????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow so many reply's!!

At the minute it's not a good time to get the mark 23 out (kids running around) so as soon as i get a minute i will have a more detailed look at the situation. I hope it's the ammo though it would make life a lot easier! when they have gone i will re lube the 23 and try both the magazines and see if that helps.. If not tomorrow i will get some more ammo then if all else fails i will get my friend to record a video of me using it so you can all see the problem

Thanks for the reply's guys really big help already

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
since you are a pistol rookie maybe you are "limp wristing" the pistol?? the Mark 23 is a handful of pistol and as people have stated an odd first pistol. One thing is for sure, its the holy grail of HK pistols IMO. keep shooting and get good with it and it will never fail you........
As it turns out i know pretty much nothing about pistols hence i am on here asking the experts. To me a pistol is a pistol they all do the same thing in the end so when i brought the pistol i went for something a bit heavier and feels like it will do the damage really i dint know what i was looking at... When you say "limp wristed" can you describe this??

Thanks

P.s not a hoax got better things to do with my time haha

·
Registered
929 Posts
As it turns out i know pretty much nothing about pistols hence i am on here asking the experts. To me a pistol is a pistol they all do the same thing in the end so when i brought the pistol i went for something a bit heavier and feels like it will do the damage really i dint know what i was looking at... When you say "limp wristed" can you describe this??

Thanks

not having a firm grip on the gun when you shot it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If all else fails you can always send it to HK and have them look at it cost me like 75 UPS make sure to call them before sending it out 706-568-1906 never call on Monday's!

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts

Thanks

I've got thousands of rounds(probably close to 10k) through a Mk23 and any failure I've had I can directly relate to Ammo or used mags I purchased.

I'd pick up a few different boxes of ammo staying away from steel cased Ammo and see if that helps. If not like everyone has stated try cleaning and oiling it. Did you happen to take the pistol apart? If so did you install the barrel and spring/guide rod into the weapon correctly?

I must say, picking a MK23 as your first weapon based on weight and thinking it would do the job is funny. Or at least it had me laughing reading the post. Doing damage, remember, in case of FTF/FTE eject mag, flip over and use as blunt object. (Joking, seems you have to say that now here)Not judging you at all and I'm happy you picked an HK as your first pistol, yet overkill would be only one of the words I would choose to describe your purchase. You may want to look at a HK 45/45C or even the USP45/C line when/if you go back to your local dealer. If I were you (not knowing your financial situation) I would have picked up a HK45 (if you were set on 45 cal) and spent the remaining 1k+/- on Ammo and a class or two. The MK23 is a beast even for experienced shooters. You couldn't have picked a more reliable pistol, though it may not seem that way to you at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapastalk.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thanks

Advice is of limited, if any, use, in a data vacuum. I'd suggest you bend your efforts first towards describing the problem, and how it occurred, before addressing suggested solutions to an unknown problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help guys i am going to be sending the Mk 23 to a certified HK armorer and just let them sort it out for me being as they know what there doing and i don't. i have learnt a lot already though from talking to everyone!!

Also thanks to all the jokers in this community as well i have laughed at some comments!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts