HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When releasing the cocking handle what is the proper way to do it. I understand either way works, but how do the swat team guys and "professionals" do it ?

It seems like it would be easier on the cocking handle to pull it back and down and then let it go so you're not rubbing the metal as much.

Thanks for answering a stupid question, I'm pretty new to the MP5 world.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Most guys smack the handle with the "meaty part" of the palm in a downward motion. I guess you could describe it as a bad 80's movie karate chop.

I myself am not a swat team member, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

No really I swat guy taught me how to use his duty weapon (MP5N) and that is the method he taught me. YMMV

·
Registered
589 Posts
Slap it! There is no cooler move in the firearms world.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,954 Posts
It really has nothing to do with cool or the CDI (chicks dig it) factor. The "slap" allows the force of the spring to do it's work and properly charge the rifle; put it into a ready to fire mode. Babying it, riding it, or doing anything that might interfere with the full force of the charging process is not recommended because your gun might go click instead of bang.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yea the cool factor is high I admit. A open bolt gun just plain sucks in that regard.

I guess what I meant to ask was, when HK designed the gun, is that the way they meant for it to be charged ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The slap is what was taught at the HK ITD when it was around. The slap is what is taught by HKPRO himself at his MP5 operator's class. Use the slap. It works. If you are worried about wearing some of the finish on your MP5 then don't use it.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,954 Posts
Or to be more direct: yes, that's the way it's supposed to be done.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
2,018 Posts
I'll teach you that and all kinds of other cool stuff, like how to talk down to an open bolt or a Colt guy. Of course they'll be having malfunctions and that's a great time for the Teutonic laugh. Are you coming to Atlanta?

Plus we make them pick up all the brass. ;)

:D

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
The slap is what was taught at the HK ITD when it was around. The slap is what is taught by HKPRO himself at his MP5 operator's class. Use the slap. It works. If you are worried about wearing some of the finish on your MP5 then don't use it.
The other thing about the slap is that it is the quickest way to get it closed. One of the drills in the class that was challenging was something like fire a 2 or 3 round burst, cock it open, swap mags, slap it closed, and another burst, I think we had 7 seconds for that one. I think everybody got it, but it took a few tries. If you wasted time grasping the knob, or pausing in the air before you slap it like in the second youtube video posted above, it would likely be enough to push you over the 7 seconds.

Yessir, I put a few scratches in the magwell of my literally just out of the paint booth MP5 that day.

And that was the only thing that sucked about the MP5 operators course - picking up all that damn brass. There were something like 14,000 -15,000 rounds fired that day, not to mention all the brass that was already there. I think that's what the knee pads were REALLY for. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
It's even MORE important to utilize the HK-slap when you are using the rifle-caliber roller-locked HK's. It's very important that the weapon's guiderod spring be allowed to do its job and force the bolt/bolt carrier fully into battery.

Just do the slap. You know you want to . . .

·
Registered
651 Posts
A member of a nearby SWAT team ended up getting 2 fellow members shot by not slapping the MP5. It was one of his first call outs, and on the ride there he for some reason pulled the handle back, and babied it just enough to prevent a proper feed.

He goes in the door into an L shaped hall, shooter starts shooting blindly, he 'cuts the pie' and tries to shoot back and paniced when he had the MP5 malfunctioned. Rather than side stepping so the line could enter he froze. The team had to step around him and into the funnel of death. Two members took rounds, but not fatal hits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't really slap it, but I'd shake the sht out of one.

But really, I've been told by some training facilities that the slap is ok, but only because the gun is German, and can handle the abuse.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wouldn't really slap it, but I'd shake the sht out of one.

But really, I've been told by some training facilities that the slap is ok, but only because the gun is German, and can handle the abuse.
What are you talking about shaking?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Pimp Hand

You have to keep your pimp hand strong if you own a MP5 like I do.

I give it a good smack to let it know I mean bid'ness!!

But serioiusly.... I was taught by a police range instructor to smack it and I believe the HK manuals mention that too.

The problem with releasing it by hand is that the user may slow the bolt or even try to use it like a "forward assist" like on the AR-15 or M-16. This is not proper and the forcing of the handle does absolutly nothing.

The bolt needs to fly forward full strength so that it can seat that first round and lock the rollers in place.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts