HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry to bring this up because I know it has been addressed before, but I have an HK45 now and the same issue is present and I can't find the previous discussions about it posted anywhere. On all of the "new style" guns that HK is making, P30, P2000 series, and now the HK45 the slide stops are now metal instead of plastic and develope a purple or warn look on the slide stops almost immediately... you can see the effect in almost any picture of any of these guns... i am sure it is normal and doesn't mean that there is corrosion or anything, but what is up with it? One of the things I liked about the USP series is that all of those parts were plastic, so there was not wear to worry about, but on all of the new ones, the slide stops don't look as though thy have the same finish as the slide does... any ideas? some of you know the answer. =)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Slide release on USP's are steel. Use of harsh solvents causes the purple-ish color on the slide release and extractor. I've used CLP, Hoppes's Elite or Mpro (Elite and Mpro are water based) and have not experienced this discoloration on any USP's or P2000 or other HK's.

I'd bet you're using Shooter Choice or come other such solvent?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I suspect those parts are made of much harder steel than the slide.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haven't even cleaned this thing yet, and it still has purplish tint to it. no solvents involved.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It isn't the solvents, it is the ultra hard steel. Like the P7.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, similar to how my P7M8's have a bit of a purple tinge to them that is what is going on with the slide parts? how is it that the harder steel has that different color?

·
Registered
242 Posts
After several outing's with my HK45, I haven't yet cleaned it, but the black finish on the slide release is getting worn off the high area's, resulting in a copper tone finish underneith. It's something that doesn't bother me in the least though. With that being said, I did observe that the finish atop the slide appear's to be wearing, but don't know why, as I haven't holstered it. If it get's worse, I'll have it parked and Gunkoted in HK black.

I fired about 200 rounds of various rounds through it today. All without faliure. I really like this pistol! I drove up to the store that I bought it from this morning, and they were all sold out of them. They don't know when they'll be getting more. Out of the pistol's that I do have, this one is fast becoming my absolute favorite. IMO, HK did a fantastic job with these. Showed it to a Smith friend of mine this evening, who does alot of custom 1911 work, and after handling it for awhile, is wanting one of his own!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I really don't know and this is just thinking out loud to try to prove my stupidity. (Better to be though a fool and remain silent that to open your mouth and prove it. Oh wait, that's me.)
Could it be something similar to true bluing where the heat and cooling causes some of the alloy in the steel to chemically react with either the air or gunshot residue, and that leaves a color hardened on the surface?
(True bluing process done repeatedly and well is really beautiful!)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Hmm, let me see... some hard-steel and even all-stainless guns got all rusty after contact with my sweat when carrying IWB. Now have a little purplish corners on P2kSK´s slide release. Slide still unaffected. So far so good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts