HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with the unique HK slide stop patina? I'm not sure what type of finish they apply to their slide locks but the ones I have seen on well worn HKs (including the P30 I just acquired) wear into a very unusual look.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think it's because the metal used is different than the slide itself. Could be the same finish, but it takes differently to different metal/texture. The extractor/loaded chamber indicator also patinas differently. If you notice some pics, it often turns purplish over time. Totally normal. Even brand new, these parts appear a little different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The heat treatment of the metal will cause the anodizing to not adhere/stay in color. Hence the purple color. P7s had this issue as with certain batches of Bushmaster receivers.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The heat treatment of the metal will cause the anodizing to not adhere/stay in color. Hence the purple color. P7s had this issue as with certain batches of Bushmaster receivers.
It is not anodizing, the part it not aluminum like AR lowers.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
MIM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is this the patina of which you speak?

As stated earlier, the hardening process of the metal prevents the HE finish from adhering to the metal. The metal is still protected, so it is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nah, just gives it character! I have considered sending the slide release levers out for refinishing but there is no guarantee that any other finish won't do the same.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Honestly, the lever in that picture looks rusty. Maybe it's just the lighting?

I know the extractors turn purplish, but I've never noticed a color change on slide stop levers. Well, I shouldn't say no change, mine have gotten shiny on the corners/edges.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's definitely not rust. What you are seeing is the copper-colored underlying metal with a mottling of the remaining black finish. If I keep this up, one day it will be bright as a new penny.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is this the patina of which you speak?

As stated earlier, the hardening process of the metal prevents the HE finish from adhering to the metal. The metal is still protected, so it is purely cosmetic.
This is what I meant. My german made HKs have this issue, the US made one is still black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts