HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a Sp5k European version was under the impression they were imported by HKI. I noticed that these were marked with TAI. They told me they imported them and had to be marked so can any FFL import these?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Of course, anyone can import them that wants to. HKI was the first. TAI is THE ATTIC on gunbroker. With as much money as they are making on them I'm sure many people will be bringing them in.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'm happy with the price I paid. U figure the rail is a little price so kinda makes up for the cost. And only thing left is a tri lug and paddle mag release. Don't want to pay the way over price of a pdw add on the rail well over 4K. I got my sp5 from shells out of state so I was very happy with that purchase under 3k

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks I'm happy with the price I paid. U figure the rail is a little price so kinda makes up for the cost. And only thing left is a tri lug and paddle mag release. Don't want to pay the way over price of a pdw add on the rail well over 4K. I got my sp5 from shells out of state so I was very happy with that purchase under 3k
Yours did not come with the MLI rail? Odd, thought all Euro SP5Ks came with those.

·
Registered
666 Posts
the only issue is that if there is a problem you will have to return it to Germany for repairs. HK-USA has stated on several occasions that they will not honor the warranty.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the only issue is that if there is a problem you will have to return it to Germany for repairs. HK-USA has stated on several occasions that they will not honor the warranty.
Yes I know but honestly I have owened HKs since 2002 and have never had any problems. I am not putting 30k rounds in it at least I don't think so. Are wear and tear parts covered under warranty? I mean how many times has anyone actually had to send in thier firearm for warranty work?

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,333 Posts
Yes I know but honestly I have owened HKs since 2002 and have never had any problems. I am not putting 30k rounds in it at least I don't think so. Are wear and tear parts covered under warranty? I mean how many times has anyone actually had to send in thier firearm for warranty work?
wear and tear is not covered by HK's warranty but they will replace/repair their current line up and charge you if you send it to them with a worn out part. Guys have had to send their HKs back to HK USA for issues covered under the warranty, but everything I've seen was related to QC problems. I think there was some issue on the SP5Ks with the scope mount having holes where it joins the body, some finish related issues, some rust, stuff like that. That said, I would have no issues buying one of the HKI or TAI or other imports that are NOT covered under the HK USA warranty. It's a little bit of a dice role, but the odds are in your favor. Also, for those commenting on "you'd have to send it back to Germany for warranty work" - I'd have to wonder how expensive and time consuming doing something like that is given the strict controls on imports and on weapons Germany has. I'm sure it's doable, but man, I bet it's a hassle. I doubt it's as simple as throwing it into a DHL box and writing "HK, Oberndorf, The Fatherland" on the box...

Reactions: dan40

·
Registered
201 Posts
warranty aside, if it had any issues I would just send it in to a top HK builder here in the states, the cost of shipping and import would negate any cost you have to pay by getting it fixed here in the states. not to mention the time frame involved.

No way in hell would I send my HK back to yermany. browse the board when needed and find a top notch builder.

Reactions: dan40

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go to B&T and buy their barrel ASAP they are sell for a good price compared to Hk parts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
warranty aside, if it had any issues I would just send it in to a top HK builder here in the states, the cost of shipping and import would negate any cost you have to pay by getting it fixed here in the states. not to mention the time frame involved.

No way in hell would I send my HK back to yermany. browse the board when needed and find a top notch builder.
Yeah my thoughts exactly I would probably send it to TPM. I'm actually thinking of sending my Sp5l and having them do the mp5sd conversion. Thier website says hk94 and other configuration. I would assume the Sp5l is a great candidate. I called yesterday but no answer will reach out again today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you send your SP5K to TPM I would be very specific on the work you want done if you have your heart set on TPM doing the work.

I had them do an SP5K to MP5K-N conversion with a B&T barrel for me a couple years back that I was not super thrilled with the results. The gun came back with the bolt gap really low for a brand new barrel install IMHO (~0.011"), I asked them not to install a paddle release because I had a German paddle I was going to install (but they did using a US paddle release part I didn't want in the gun) and they also kinda messed the top rib of the gun in the remark procedure. There is nothing I could do to fix the remarking issue.

Instead of welding over the top rail markings and then properly dressing/blending the welds back into the top rib, it looks like they put the receiver in an vertical mill and just milled the welds down. In the process took away too much material on the top rib. This left the top rib on the receiver with an odd "step down" appearance in front of the optic rail weldment where the markings now reside.

Am I being too picky....maybe....but if you care I would specific what you want the bolt gap to be and how the top rib remarking should be done.

Its an SP5K with a B&T barrel so its not the end of the world but I would be pretty pissed if this work was done on an SP89 with a German MP5K-N barrel.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you send your SP5K to TPM I would be very specific on the work you want done if you have your heart set on TPM doing the work.

I had them do an SP5K to MP5K-N conversion with a B&T barrel for me a couple years back that I was not super thrilled with the results. The gun came back with the bolt gap really low for a brand new barrel install IMHO (~0.011"), I asked them not to install a paddle release because I had a German paddle I was going to install (but they did using a US paddle release part I didn't want in the gun) and they also kinda messed the top rob of the gun in the remark procedure. There is nothing I could do to fix the remarking issue.

Instead of welding over the top rail markings and then properly dressing/blending the welds back into the top rib, it looks like they put the receiver in an vertical mill and just milled the welds down. In the process took away too much material on the top rib. This left the top rib on the receiver with an odd "step down" appearance in front of the optic rail weldment where the markings now reside. View attachment 297672

Am I being too picky....maybe....but if you care I would specific what you want the bolt gap to be and how the top rib remarking should be done.

Its an SP5K with a B&T barrel so its not the end of the world but I would be pretty pissed if this work was done on an SP89 with a German MP5K-N barrel.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
mph wow I thought Tony was pretty good from what I've been told by others.I am not sending my sp5 but thinking of sending my sp5L for the mp5SD conversion. I will keep what you said in mind. Do you have any other recommendation. Does Tommy built convert sp5s?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not sure who Tony is.... TPM is run by Matt and Ken. I have seen TPM do good work but also some not so perfect work as well based off other posts from others in the past.

I am not sure what the issue is regarding consistency but it could be when they have too much work and decisions are made to get guns back out the door. Communication is also not their strong suit either in my experience That is why I recommended that if you are able to get a hold of them that you be very specific on how the work is to be done in writing.

In terms of other HK gunsmiths, I have had great work done by both Mike TSC (he is not taking new work right now) and Mike at MM.

One of the challenges right now is that it appears that most of the high quality reputation HK gunsmiths appear to be oversubscribed with work given all the SP5K/SP5 work that is coming in the door. There also seems to be a bit of a resurgence of interest in the HK roller locked platform over the past couple of years across all platforms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts