HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gang. I'm converting the SP5L into a long gun with the addition of a stock. I also want to put a fake can over that stupid long pencil barrel. (can't change the barrel b/c of CA law).

SO..... I know there are all kinds of fake cans out there, BUT, I'd like one that mounts to the tri lug at the end of the barrel, but of course, rather than pointing in front of the barrel, I essentially need a backwards can to mount onto the lugs and slide over the barrel down to the hand guard. I KNOW it's been done, but what's out there for this. Anything off the shelf I can get?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Following, although I must say the fake can made my USC a bit front heavy. However, since this is a metal frame, it should work out better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried Carlos at BPP? He is in the LA area, and could probably make something. I imagine you could sell more than one off these if you had some made.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are other options for you in cali. Google west coast weapons works. They are converting sp5’s in to rifles. They permanetly attach a faux suppressor to reach cail overall length of 30 inches. I myself have one on order.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are other options for you in cali. Google west coast weapons works. They are converting sp5’s in to rifles. They permanetly attach a faux suppressor to reach cail overall length of 30 inches. I myself have one on order.
There isn't much to do to convert the SP5 into a rifle. Slap an A2 stock on it and you will get to over 30 inches. That's not the problem. The problem is the barrel is FUGLY, and looks stupid, so I want a fake can to make it look respectable. AN aluminum tube shouldn't add that much weight to the gun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like it would be easier to fashion is so that it is attached via the threads rather than the 3 lug
Yeah, IDK. Here in CA, no one has suppressors so we NEVER use the 3 lugs for anything other than holding fake cans on so.... maybe I don't know the difference. Maybe use the lugs, maybe use the screw threads. I don't much care I suppose.

·
Priest of the P7
5,381 Posts
That big nose won't look so bad once you put on the nice a$s. I recommend against adding weight in the worst place without gaining any function.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Contact Carlos at BPP, and ask for him to custom fit one of his extensions to your SP5L. I already had to go through this 'song and dance' to assist my cousin in the People's Kommunist Republik of Jersie with his MP5 build, as he is also stuck with a minimum 16-inch barrel length, and this was the absolute nicest extension I could find.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I also thought the classic vented shroud from the mid to late 80's was a really spectacular option as well to eliminate the dreaded pencil barrel effect. I believe HKPARTS still sells these, and I would imagine many custom builders could probably make one.

LA SWAT Team from "Cobra" (1986):

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also thought the classic vented shroud from the mid to late 80's was a really spectacular option as well to eliminate the dreaded pencil barrel effect. I believe HKPARTS still sells these, and I would imagine many custom builders could probably make one.

View attachment 301000

LA SWAT Team from "Cobra" (1986):

View attachment 301001

View attachment 301002
Yep. Totally acceptable and cool. Also ILLEGAL under current CA law. If I put that on the rifle, I'd have to fix the magazine and that is impractical with HK's.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contact Carlos at BPP, and ask for him to custom fit one of his extensions to your SP5L. I already had to go through this 'song and dance' to assist my cousin in the People's Kommunist Republik of Jersie with his MP5 build, as he is also stuck with a minimum 16-inch barrel length, and this was the absolute nicest extension I could find.

View attachment 300994

View attachment 300995
Looks promising! If he can make it fit backwards, we might be in business. Of course I also need it Ceretoked BLACK rather than white metal as pictured. I'll reach out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone tell me how much barrel is showing on the 5L from the end of the foregrip to the end of the barrel?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
West Coast WesponWorks appears to be gone. The web page says their page is being phased out and refers you to CamdonDefense.com
That web page seems to be non-existent

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you can go featureless in ca
As I said, you HAVE to go featureless in CA with the HK guns as there are no real bullet buttons or other mag latches that work well. BUT to be "featureless" you can have only ONE "evil feature". The removable mag is one. The shroud would be a second and then the rifle would be an assault rifle according to CA law.

·
Registered
286 Posts
featureless in ca means no flash hider, no pistol grip and no collapsible stock. its that way or a fixed magazine. Good luck with your build.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts