HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
PTR91 GIR FDE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a few surplus HK steel magazines but they're having issues feeding. It will load the first round fine, but the bolt just glides over the second round without picking it up. I can get it to work by tapping on the magazine a few times, then it'll load the 3rd round fine but then the problem repeats on the 4th, 6th, 8th, etc every other round isn't feeding.

Then I tried using my Lula mag loader on it and it didn't seem to seat all the way properly, so it wouldn't put enough tension of the spring to allow the 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc, round to drop in or out freely. So I had to press the loader down to get it to work right.

What it seems like to me is that the cutout for the magazine tab isn't in the right position or they're cut out to tall and it's not seating all the way.

I've never had this problem with my aluminum mags. Does anyone have any insight or know how to fix this?

Here's some pics for reference, I have one of my aluminum mags next to the steel one for comparison. And yes the steel mag is full of Tula, and yes it does the same thing when I fill it with brass.

Attachments

·
Banned
151 Posts
I've used them in the past and never had any issues, other than the additional weight and cost.

·
Registered
325 Posts
maybe the spring is weak, have you tried to swap out springs from your alumium mags? and checked that the inside of the mag body is clean and there is no signs of rust or crude and dents, that might impede the follower from moving up freely ?

I have more steel 91 mags then alumium and they all function perfectly in my CENTURY clone

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've seen surplus mags full of sand or some such impediment to cartridges moving freely.

Take 'em apart, clean 'em out good. A rub with a SLIGHTLY oiled rag to just barely coat the insides will do wonders.

Naysayers will say never lube mag insides as it will collect dirt. Well, surprise, surprise. Clean 'em out every so often. Better than having them stop working.

DG

PS...I don't like steel mags, they beat up the mag well. The mag well will beat up an alloy mag instead, much cheaper to replace...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I saw a video from 1911 Syndicate recently where feed issues from HK mags was discussed. Might be worth checking it out. I don’t remember how far into the video they start discussing mags.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've used them in the past and never had any issues, other than the additional weight and cost.
'

wow, you're right the alumium mags weight only about 5 Oz. vs steel mag that weighs a staggering 9.5 Oz, a whole 4.5 Oz more! o_O don't see how you can even lift the rifle that weights 9 LBS with one of those in it, you would need a tripod

·
Registered
325 Posts
PS...I don't like steel mags, they beat up the mag well. The mag well will beat up an alloy mag instead, much cheaper to replace...
wow, is your mag well made out of paper mache?

I swear you guys are something else when it comes to HK, "HELP, I got a scratch and am devastated how do I fix it?"

·
Banned
151 Posts
I was very fond of them back around 04-06.
I never would have paid the going rate on them for myself though.

While weight and size were cons, there were no function issues.

They were not a good choice for months in a humid, rainy environment.

1. Spring life didn't seem that great.

2. If I recall the springs cannot be replaced with any other spring.

I also noticed when dropped they tended to eject rounds, and were more sensitive to becoming am issue after repeated drops.

I became not fond of them after that.
When all is said and done though, I would load up those 50 mags, put them in a dry container, and be plenty cool with them.

·
Registered
929 Posts
wow, is your mag well made out of paper mache?

I swear you guys are something else when it comes to HK, "HELP, I got a scratch and am devastated how do I fix it?"

I don't baby my rifles. They get shot. A lot. Between 5 and 10K/year.

Due diligence on maintenance. Springs wear out. Once in a great while something else does.

No steel 7.62N mags allowed.

DG

·
Registered
PTR91 GIR FDE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe the spring is weak, have you tried to swap out springs from your alumium mags? and checked that the inside of the mag body is clean and there is no signs of rust or crude and dents, that might impede the follower from moving up freely ?
Just tried swapping the springs, no joy so far. And aside from what looked like a bit of cosmoline the insides are just about spotless. Not a pit of rust from what I can see.

·
Registered
PTR91 GIR FDE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update: When I was swapping out the springs I noticed that the followers on the malfunctioning magazines seemed out of plac*e a little. It seems like the back of the follower isn't coming up high enough. I'm starting to be convinced that the problem is that the feed lips are miss shaped slightly.

These mags seem totally unused. Not sure if this is how they are out of the factory, or if they need to be broken in somehow. I'm willing to put the time in to adjust them, anyone have any pro-tips on feed lip adjustment?

Malfunctioning mag on the left, Working mag on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Update: When I was swapping out the springs I noticed that the followers on the malfunctioning magazines seemed out of plac*e a little. It seems like the back of the follower isn't coming up high enough. I'm starting to be convinced that the problem is that the feed lips are miss shaped slightly.

These mags seem totally unused. Not sure if this is how they are out of the factory, or if they need to be broken in somehow. I'm willing to put the time in to adjust them, anyone have any pro-tips on feed lip adjustment?

Malfunctioning mag on the left, Working mag on the left.
Magazine looks out of spec. All the G3 magazines, even aluminium ones, have steel inserts inside the feed lips and along the inside to help reinforce the magazine. There is a very, very clearly defined gap between the insert and the magazine body on the malfunctioning magazine. The inserts are welded to the body, something went wrong with that one I believe. Looks to sit too low or just not have been shaped correctly. Maybe I am completely wrong, but that is the only visual indicator I see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts