HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where HK gets their iron ore from for their steel?
Germany got their best iron ore from Switzerland in WW2. That got me thinking of where the iron ore for steel comes from for use in the German & US factories. Then that got me thinking of what process & where they get their bauxite ore or aluminum oxide. What about their polymer?
Does anyone know if the US parts are of the same origin as the German parts & where the raw materials come from?

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,960 Posts
Their barrel steel is provided by a French company, Aubert & Duval. It's a proprietary product that is famous for its durability. As to the location of where it comes from out of the ground, I suspect that is under wraps.

Here's a photo from my HK factory visit in 2002 with blanks as they arrive at the factory.

MVC-328S.JPG

·
1,960 Posts
As for their polymer, I don't have a photo of it, or do I? I remember the sacks of plastic pellets that were next to the G36 receiver injection molder. I distinctly remember the bags being labeled with 'Bayer' same logo as the aspirin manufacturer. Now I need to see if I have a pic of that!
MVC-359S.JPG

Whaddya know, I did take a pic of them. :)

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Cool photos. I wish I could have the opportunity to tour the HK plant in Germany. Once in a lifetime gift!!

·
1,960 Posts
Cool photos. I wish I could have the opportunity to tour the HK plant in Germany. Once in a lifetime gift!!
That it was. Hoping to eventually make it a twice in a lifetime gift. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That it was. Hoping to eventually make it a twice in a lifetime gift. :)
Thanks for the information & the pictures. I’d love to tour either of the US locations.
Are the slides machined from steel made by Aubert & Duval too?
Do you know if the US made firearms use different sources or are just assembled here?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
A little off topic, but I've been in a lot of manufacturing plants. I went to one where they make Boules of glass which are large and heavy enough that they need to be moved with forklifts. While I was there, I overheard the workers saying that most of them where going to Zeiss. Really cool to see how some of this stuff is made.

Another plant I went into was an ITAR site that made the FLIR sensors. Really wild technology at work. Large portions of the plant were dark due to the testing and calibration equipment used. I was not allowed to take any pictures and in most plants they would make you leave your phone with security.

·
1,960 Posts
Thanks for the information & the pictures. I’d love to tour either of the US locations.
Are the slides machined from steel made by Aubert & Duval too?
Do you know if the US made firearms use different sources or are just assembled here?
Probably. They do actual machining at Columbus, so I don't know of the steel sources, or if they are partially finished in Germany first.

You can tour the Grey Room in Ashburn if you take an armorer's course.

Eventually Ashburn is going to relocate to GA, which means the GR guns will go to Columbus and armorer courses will take place there, and a tour of the Columbus facility would likely be offered.

·
1,960 Posts
This is a very interesting topic. i'll throw my wild guess in as Thyssenkrupp Steel.
Did you even read the thread?

·
Priest of the P7
5,086 Posts
Isn’t most ore coming out of the ground Chinesium these days?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts