HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tactical .45 and am considering a Tactical .40.

Had a MK23, and know the thread pattern was reversed on that.

But -- if I get the .40, can I use the same .45 can on the .40? What I'm asking here -- is the thread pattern the same?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,652 Posts
The thread pattern is not the same and the performance of using a .45 can on a .40 will be anywhere from dismal to dangerous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thread pattern is not the same and the performance of using a .45 can on a .40 will be anywhere from dismal to dangerous.
Care to explain why?

I've seen .30 cal cans used on .223, .308, and 7.62x39 -- screw on one gun, removed, and screwed on another.

I don't understand.

·
11,652 Posts
Sure...
Optimal performance in a suppressor is achieved by close fitting tolerances. The difference between a .40 and a .45 may not seem like a lot, but it is. The expanding gas is not controlled in the same (or intended) manner, so performance degrades. Sure, it will be quieter than without a can, but it will not perform as well as can designed specifically for that caliber. Now, when you take into account baffle stack design, spacing, and expansion chambers, that extra room *could* cause the projectile to begin to yaw, cause a baffle strike, etc.

It's not a prudent course of action. Sort of like firing a 9mm in a .40 gun. It can be done, but it's not the brightest maneuver. Does that help?

As an aside, intentionally firing a can with a caliber other than what is designed for is one of the very few things that the company that I work with does *not* warrant.

And to correct an earlier statement that I made... you can certainly get an aftermarket .40 barrel threaded to M16x1 LH or RH from several sources.

·
Registered
266 Posts
on the other hand i use a 308 can on my 223 guns.(YHM). and it runs just fine.
and at 2800/3150 fps..has no probs AT all..

and running right nexed to a 223 can made for thet size of rd..not much of a diff..in how big of a bang it makes...

now my .50 cal can..at 6+LBS would not look good on a hand gun.. but i dont think baffle strike would be a prob!

·
11,652 Posts
Can it be done? Sure. Is it prudent? Whole 'nother story. As in Duke's description, you can run a .308 can on a .223 and the performance will not degrade that much (YMMV, of course). But if something goes wrong, there will be absolutely no recourse to the manufacturer because the item was intentionally used outside of the performance spec.

Just because your car can drive 140mph does not mean that it's prudent to do so. Eventually, something bad will happen. Either a ticket, a wreck, or worse. Even "professional drivers on a closed course" have accidents. I'm not necessarily advocating a life without risk, but I'm also not recommending taking unneeded ones.

·
Registered
266 Posts
also in my case..the maker YHM.. tell's you it's OK the use there 308 can on a 223..

and driving 160mph on a freeway is also bad. as. the slow cars always get in your way... 160mph with overdrive at 5400rpm and Pulling.. and still 2400rpm left..and half way to the floor!..BUT!
even a bunny turns into a cannon ball...at that speed.. and the other drivers get in the way all the time..anyway...LOL

1/4 mile 10.54 @135MPH
with 60' times in the 1.54
EFI and a 3300lbs car baby
IT'S NOT A FAST CAR TILL IT PULLS THE WHEELS AT THE TRACK!
and you can drive it home from the track!

guns are cool to!

·
Banned
60 Posts
The thread pattern isn't the same, but if you get a can with a nielson device of some sort,you can usually buy them in different thread pitches. A 40 out of a 45 can won't be quite as quiet as a 40 out of a 40 can,but it'll be very close. I tend to run my can wet so it is pretty quiet to begin with. It isn't dangerous though. I did it with my evo45, works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts