HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
With out clicking on the link, it's the pistol companion to the MP7 using the same round.

4.6x30

We'll see it in about 20 years.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It's like FN's P90 (sub-gun) and the 5.7 USG (pistol). Both are chambered in FN's 5.7mm round.

HK has the MP7 (sub-gun) and the UCP (pistol) both chambered in HK's 4.6mm round. Only thing is the MP7 isn't sold to civillians, so I doubt the UCP ever will be either. HK has stated they have no interest in bringing the 4.6mm round to the civillian market.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What's the little lever-lookin' thing just to the rear of the rails?

I'd be pretty psyched if they finally were able to get a lever that locked the slide for ultimate suppression like they tried to do with the Mk23. But that lever looks like it's too easy to accidentally manipulate to be there for that reason.

And look at the rear of the trigger. What is goin' on back there? A newer style overtravel mechanism?

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is no civilian application for this round.
Sure there is. It's called the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. That's all the application I need.

There shouldn't be any difference between what the military can get and what civilians can get as far as rifles and handguns go.

I think it looks like a pretty snappy little round!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sure there is. It's called the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. That's all the application I need.

There shouldn't be any difference between what the military can get and what civilians can get as far as rifles and handguns go.

I think it looks like a pretty snappy little round!
While I agree with what you're saying... all he's saying is that the round it shoots will be labelled as an armor piercing round, and will be illegal for civilian sales. So it will have to use slower rounds that don't have sufficient numbers for self defense use. Debatable, yes... but you get the point, probably...

Much like the 5.7.

But it could make a good target/match gun...

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
While I agree with what you're saying... all he's saying is that the round it shoots will be labelled as an armor piercing round, and will be illegal for civilian sales. So it will have to use slower rounds that don't have sufficient numbers for self defense use. Debatable, yes... but you get the point, probably...

Much like the 5.7.

But it could make a good target/match gun...
I believe this round is either already, or very soon will be available domestically. Just like the 5.7 there will likely be a non armor piercing (err umm, what ever that means, probably lacking a steel/heavy core) round. We shall see...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Funny you should say that, because Midway has it in stock!...it has now hit the civvy market.

Fiocci Brand
30gr "sinterfire"
40gr FMJ
40gr Soft point

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
that's what I thought....

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
What does this round beside being armor piercing?
For collectors OK, but other then that it's a smaller diameter, so you would be stupid to use it for precision shooting, since you are better off with a larger bullet on paper.
Hunting? There are better rounds out already!
Stopping power? Again, a bigger round does a better job!
It is however interesting, that even China is going with a small diameter handgun!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hunting? There are better rounds out already!
Stopping power? Again, a bigger round does a better job!
It is however interesting, that even China is going with a small diameter handgun!
Well, yeah, it's all about (body armor) penetration.

Besides, the Russians have been using small diameter handguns long before the Chinese. The PSM handgun with its 5.45x18 round has been around for decades.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It does the same thing the 5.7x29mm round does ;)

It would be a fun shooting gun, with low recoil, and longer range... Probably good for bullseye and target shooting, and mabey even some IPSC useage IF they are allowed.

Now im not gonna say "Yay HK is definatly gonna do it!" but then again... HK within the past few month's attitude was "Nope, you'll never get a 416 even if we COULD import them!!!"

and now they're making US made 416's (or will be) and 417's.

Will the UCP come to the civie market? who knows... only HK knows if they're going to try or not.

But in any case, with the 416/417 switcheroo, and the US-based manufactor capabilites (especially with the HK45) they have ALL the assets they need to do it.

just sayin.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
My understanding of the situation is as follows. The 5.7mm round will only penetrate soft armor if it is loaded with SS190 bullets. These have a steel core for penetrating armor and are not sold to civillians. After extensive testing by the BATF they determined that the 5.7 round and the subsequent firearms associated with it could be sold to civillians provided only non-armor piercing rounds would be availible.

It is my understanding that the 4.6mm will penetrate soft armor no matter what type of bullet it is loaded with. Which means the BATF would probably never approve of it's sale to anyone other than LE anyway. I still fail to see the hype because a rifle will penetrate soft armor easily and they are everywhere. However, I'm sure their fear comes from a pistol that is easy to conceal and able to hold 20 rounds of armor piercing ammunition. It's far too easy to deem a weapon with such properties as a "cop killer".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts