HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen a bunch of USC to UMP conversions with a majority of them black in color. when looking for a USC host, i came across a slate (or light grey) colored version. is this color any more collectible or much rarer than a black or do most people just prefer the black rifle?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Gray versions came out first in both USC's and SL8's (the SL8-1 is gray, SL8-6 is black)
I wouldn't say one color is necessarily more rare than the other. However, it does seem that the black ones bring somewhat more money than gray ones..
Personally, if I was going to do another conversion and I had a choice, I would start with the black version because dying a gray version only goes so far. My G36 clone started life as an SL8-1 and is showing gray on the shell case deflector.
So either way really, different strokes for different folks. Hard to beat either the black or classic gray look!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anything the gray is less valuable than the black.
Black seems to be easier to convert because of the dye job. When I went looking for one, the black ones were way more than the gray. I found a couple of folks who could do the due job along with folks who had them done. That said I took the gray route. Also I'm not that motivated to dye it and actually like it the way it is minus the longer barrel. I saw the same thing with the SL8 and got lucky finding a decent priced black one and bought that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I held out for a black USC for that very reason. Tommy does a great dye job but on high wear areas I think it's inevitable that some grey will start to show through. I just bought mine less than a month ago and all the black models were significantly more than the grey. I got a good price and I think that it was worth it for the black. Very excited to get the vents cut...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts