HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a usp 40 with ke 1994 dare code, I haven't ever shot it much because I only had one mag with it, I've recently got it our and started shooting it lately and have noticed a few concerns that makes me think I should send it in for service. I searched and could only find info on full mag, my question is this, when I shoot 9 rounds the last 10th round is usually not going into battery, I've had two live round stove pipes and several spent round hangups. Never thought I'd see malfunctioning in this pistol but it happens I guess, I believe it's due to a worn out magazine or spring, my main concern is when the slide is locked back from last round, I can release the mag and my slide automatically goes to battery every time, is this normal? Or should I call customer service for a checkup? Also, I can't find my receipt, how hard is it to get my gun fixed by hk without proof of purchase?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Have someone else shoot it and see if they have the same issue. USP pistols are very reliable. My mags have been loaded for over fifteen years and they function perfectly. I would suggest that you may need to hold the USP differently than the way you may hold other pistols. I typically don't clean my USP9F for about 2000 rounds. Sometimes the extractor gets dirty and I get a failure to eject. I just clean the extractor and move on. Now that I am shooting Cabela's Herter's nylon coated bullets, I almost never have to clean my pistol.

HK has honored the warranty on pistols that I bought used. Just don't bring up that you may or may not have used reloads in the firearm. I believe that voids the warranty.

·
Registered
34,583 Posts
Welcome to the site--- check the magazine internals (or try a new magazine), clean and oil the sidearm, and try 50 rounds of quality ammunition with a firm, two-hand grip--- if this does not work, servicing may be required--- keep us updated!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good info, thanks for the welcome. I agree the usp is very reliable, I have owned a 45 usp in the past as well with zero issues, I believe I'm experiencing magazine problems, but along with that I believe I must have a loose slide release part as well, something internal isn't forcing the slide lock all the way up when last round is fired and slide stays open. I'm curious to know if anyone has the same problem of dropping an empty mag with open slide, mine is closing everytime I drop a mag with the slide open, this isn't normal because when u change mags after the slide is held open, I've always put a mag in and dropped the slide to chamber a round, I'm not really technical with the internal functions but the handling and memory of what it should and shouldn't do tells me the slide should remain open while dropping an empty magazine. If I'm wrong or confused please set me straight, this is going to now be my main home defense weapon and any mishaps won't be good. I just thought that this started happening after I took mag apart to clean it, I may of assembled it wrong, the big diameter of the spring goes at the floor plate correct? I'm making an order tonight for a jet funnel kit and two 16 round jet mags. If this solves my issues then I'll be very happy to not have to send it in for service, however I've read that hk usually puts in a new style trigger and firing pin and possibly a new recoil spring in the 1994 models, that would be well worth a trip to Columbus ga..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I just thought that this started happening after I took mag apart to clean it, I may of assembled it wrong, the big diameter of the spring goes at the floor plate correct?
Correct. And as others have stated, I would try new mags before sending it to HK.
Now is a good time to stock up on mags.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My guess is an older mag spring or it is sticking inside the magazine. Take apart the mag and clean/lube it and manually spit out each round with the mag in your hands and try to feel if the last round comes out of the mag weak. Mag springs are DIY cheap fixes. If you know someone with a newer mag, it is the quickest way to rule your spring in or out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is all you did was take it apart and clean? Did you monkey with the spring and did you put the spring back in the right direction? YouTube may have something for you.

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
Try out the new mags before installing the Jet Funnel, see if it clears up.

The jet funnel is really nice, but a PITA to install, if you may wind up sending it to HK anyways might as well ask them to do it.

-Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
can't see why the slide stop works with one round left in the magazine the follower to keep the slide open is far away from it, are you sure you're not hitting the slide stop while firing ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I'm sure. Sorry for the long intermission, but I've recently bought another mag and it does it on both of them. I also have found out that the slide itself seems loose, it's rattling if u shake the gun. It's not the mag or bullets, the frame and slide have a definite slop to it. I never dealt with hk, I hope someone can give me a little info on how they'll do this. I would like to think it's gonna go like this, I send it in and they check it out and find its most likely a small issue, maybe a recoil spring or something minor. While it's at hk for service, the guy fixing it says hmm, this is a 1994 model, so I will give him the 1995 firing pin update, also throw in the update of the newer style recoil spring, and wth, I'll go ahead and throw in the newer style trigger that came out in 98. Now the dates or years may be wrong, but at least am I correct that after 94 they changed the spring, trigger, and the firing pin?? Anything else? I may be doing alot of wishful thinking but I've heard they've done this to some usp's, thatd be awesome! To be truthful, as long as I've been around he's, I still not sure if I have the new polygonal barrel or not, they changed it in 94 I know but not sure when. I just want to get the old girl in good enough shape to trust like every hk should be, I've recently went to palmetto state armory and seen a brand new usp new old stock tactical with rust on the Square landing of the Barrel, he said he'd discount it for me and knock $150 off, so I guess I'll be getting it soon if he still has it, and I really tried my very best to avoid it, but he literally made me hold my first hk 45 and it was almost like a religious experience! I didn't think it'd be possible to get any more bad ass than the usp, but my God that thing was crazy sweet, it felt like nothing else I've held, like hk took a mold of my hand and specially made it for me, I just can't freaking win, I'm gonna be in the poor house from buying hk's, I refuse to touch a p2000 or a vp9... I never really researched it very much but just now finding out the 40 is very high pressure, it literally wears guns out from shooting them alot, but it is a usp, and they did design it especially for the 40, so hopefully I'll send it off and get it back and fall in love all over again, but if not I'll trade it for another hk. Lol..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts