HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i already own a HK USP9 compact and love the gun, but was wondering what the 45 version was like?? I see that it is slightly bigger and only holds 8 rounds, so that is the obviously different. I just wondered if it felt anything close to the 9 version? Would love to have a .45 in stainess someday, but wondered if the loss of capacity is worth it for the harder hitting round? What say you, those that own both? Is the .45 version as sweet of shooter as the 9 or should i just look for another 9 in stainless this time? Does the 45 feel pretty close to the 9 as far as grip circumference?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The USPc45 SS is a bit wider and a tad larger than the USPc9. They are beautiful and definitely worth having in one's HK collection.
The USP series handles the 45 round with ease, making it a great shooter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 3 compacts. 2-9mm and 1-45.

One of my 9's has the match trigger upgrade and it's a great trigger, that said, as soon as I shot my 45, it became my EDC. I shoot it better than any of my handguns, with the exception of my 45 tactical, but that one is not carry friendly.

I will be upgrading the trigger in the others when I can, because I really to like the match trigger.

I have a stainless in each caliber and I love the look. If you get the chance, it's worth the extra cash to get the stainless.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wish mods didn't just remove that "benefits of each caliber" thread on the USPs. Was some actual, useful discussion in there that wasn't caliber debate. Now I'm stuck wondering these same questions too

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello, i already own a HK USP9 compact and love the gun, but was wondering what the 45 version was like?? I see that it is slightly bigger and only holds 8 rounds, so that is the obviously different. I just wondered if it felt anything close to the 9 version? Would love to have a .45 in stainess someday, but wondered if the loss of capacity is worth it for the harder hitting round? What say you, those that own both? Is the .45 version as sweet of shooter as the 9 or should i just look for another 9 in stainless this time? Does the 45 feel pretty close to the 9 as far as grip circumference?
I haven't shot both of them, but I can compare how they feel in the hand. The USP45 Compact has a noticeably longer grip, front to back, which results in a slightly longer trigger reach than the USP9 Compact. I don't remember if the grip was any wider than the USP9C, maybe just a bit, but it is definitely longer front to back, which angled my fingers a little differently against the front of the grip. My hands are on the smaller side of medium and I think the USP9/40C grip is about perfect with flush magazines, but I thought that I would want to utilize the magazine pinky extensions with the USP45C, just because of how my fingers were angled a bit more "downward" on the front of the grip...kind of hard to explain.

I have shied away from the USP45C and the HK45C due to the capacity. The reason the capacity is so low, I've found, is because the grip was designed to be quite a bit thinner than the full size USP45. When I compared them side-by-side, it struck me that the compact .45's could probably have held 9-10 rounds if HK had stuck with the original USP45 grip width and just chopped the grip height.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't shot both of them, but I can compare how they feel in the hand. The USP45 Compact has a noticeably longer grip, front to back, which results in a slightly longer trigger reach than the USP9 Compact. I don't remember if the grip was any wider than the USP9C, maybe just a bit, but it is definitely longer front to back, which angled my fingers a little differently against the front of the grip. My hands are on the smaller side of medium and I think the USP9/40C grip is about perfect with flush magazines, but I thought that I would want to utilize the magazine pinky extensions with the USP45C, just because of how my fingers were angled a bit more "downward" on the front of the grip...kind of hard to explain.

I have shied away from the USP45C and the HK45C due to the capacity. The reason the capacity is so low, I've found, is because the grip was designed to be quite a bit thinner than the full size USP45. When I compared them side-by-side, it struck me that the compact .45's could probably have held 9-10 rounds if HK had stuck with the original USP45 grip width and just chopped the grip height.

Yea, i really thought i wanted a 45 and may still get it. But, the capacity thing concerns me a little. With my USP9C i have 13 plus one and dont know for sure if i want only 8 plus one! It is a 45 though, and that would be nice. Guess i will stew on it a while, but if i decide to go the 45 route i still have to decide between the USP45-C or HK45. Damn you HK for offering so many go choices!!!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Yea, i really thought i wanted a 45 and may still get it. But, the capacity thing concerns me a little. With my USP9C i have 13 plus one and dont know for sure if i want only 8 plus one! It is a 45 though, and that would be nice. Guess i will stew on it a while, but if i decide to go the 45 route i still have to decide between the USP45-C or HK45. Damn you HK for offering so many go choices!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I find my SS USPc .45 to be a very comfortable shooter. I have not held a USPc 9, so the only size comparison I can offer is with the full-size USP .45 (my thought is that if you've held a FS, maybe this will help you imagine how your USPc 9 compares).

I have medium-size hands (glove size 9). My USPc .45 wears a Hogue monogrip grip sleeve which "fills out" the grip to my hand. My FS USP .45 feels better in my hand without a grip sleeve. My point: given the pretty significant difference is size between a USPc .45 and a USP .45, I suspect the difference in "felt" size between the USPc .45 and the USPc 9 is relatively small.

On capacity, my USPc .45 alternates with a P30 for EDC. I do not feel under-equipped with either (Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot in both).

While I carry a spare mag with both, I'd be comfortable going without the extra mag because the odds of me ever needing more than 8+1 in either gun are lower than the already low odds of needing a gun in the first place (minimizing risk with situational awareness, exercising judgement about where/when to go someplace, etc.). So while I absolutely believe in being prepared to defend self/family, I'm willing to accept that there's a chance that all the stars will line up wrong and the gods will decide I deserve a bad day in which 9 rounds is not enough.

Note: I do not believe the .45 is a talisman, such that "I don't need to carry as many." Rather, I believe that 8+1 of either caliber -- combined with the *much* more important factor of shot placement -- should be sufficient for 99% of what I would likely ever expect to see in my suburban/urban environment. Shot placement is so much more important than caliber (at least once you are at 9MM or higher) that with 8+1 HSTs or Gold Dots in hand, my EDC choice is based on my overall effectiveness with a particular gun, not whether one caliber is marginally "better" than the other.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I own both and the 45C was my first handgun. I EDC'd it every day for close to a decade. If you are worried about being in a gun fight where the difference between 8 and 13 will make a difference, than you should really be thinking full size. Im not not a gunfighter. I have never been in a gun fight and Im not a secret squirrel, but I have had to draw a concealed gun 1 time and "do I have enough rounds for this" is not what was going through my mind.

The USP is one of the finest handguns ever produced. They were ahead of their time 25 years ago and when you compare them to what is out there now, they clearly still have their place.

The only real drawback to the USPc, the price of mags for the 45 are pricey. I have accumulated 20 mags since the late 90's and no chit, I have more money wrapped up in mags for that gun, that I could have bought two USPc 45's.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love my USP45c. Great shooting gun and I carry pretty often. The size difference between it and the USP9c, to me at least, is negligible. Once I can find a nice stainless USP9c, it will be added to my collection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts