HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I recently purchased an excellent condition full size HK USP 45 from cdnn and was wondering what parts I should switch out to improve the feel and reliability of the gun. I would like a lighter, smoother, crisper trigger, and was wondering whether to install a match trigger, or send it out to GGI or Mr Springfield for custom work/polishing. Also, I was wondering if police trade on are usually refreshed by HK before being sold by dealers (ie springs replaced with new ones, etc). What aftermarket or factory alternative springs are available to improve the feel of the gun, like lighter recoil springs, hammer springs, etc?

Thanks all in advance -- the gun will be primarily for range and home defense. I look forward to being part of the HK community!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Welcome to HKPro! You bought an icon in the USP 45!

If it seems in excellent condition, then there is almost surely nothing that needs to be replaced. There was a member on here who put over 100,000 rounds through that same pistol before replacing even a single spring or part of any kind. . . and even then only as an afterthought. It is as overbuilt as they come. So much so, in fact, that it can be boringly reliable and accurate.

Seriously. . . all you really need to do is feed it, and run it hard. Congrats, and welcome again!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As Orfeo said, it is doubtful that anything "needs" to be replaced. Most LEO trade-ins have not been fired a whole lot, even if they look a little rough from being carried all the time. Sometimes it is even better than a new gun as it has been broken in. That said, there is a lot that you can do to customize or tune your new USP to suit your needs. Wolff makes great after market springs for the USP, although be advised that their recoil springs are wound the opposite way than the factory springs are. For trigger upgrades I personally like the Match, and lots of folks are into the LEM trigger. Do some searches on this forum for reviews of custom work. I've heard very good things about Bruce Gray and Bill Springfield, but I have not worked with either of them personally. You should definitely shoot through at least a few hundred rounds before you change anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rad, thanks so much for the warm welcome, guys! I'm really looking forward to putting some lead down range and seeing how I can wear in around the gun before I make any drastic changes. Very rarely are hobbyists in any forum (whether guns, knives, cars, motorcycles, woodworking, etc) so happy and content with a factory stock product. I guess this speaks volumes for the quality and engineering of HK!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Very rarely are hobbyists in any forum (whether guns, knives, cars, motorcycles, woodworking, etc) so happy and content with a factory stock product. I guess this speaks volumes for the quality and engineering of HK!
This is due primarily to a lack of third-party support, I am sure. Gun people tend to want to "tinker" when able.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Look is a big dictionary for "police pistol" and you find "See carried but rarely fired." for the definition. Really, these are usually like new inside. There may be major holster and seatbelt wear though, so look at them closely.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
155 Posts
Shoot it, enjoy it. If you want to customize after you shoot it awhile, you can ask here about making do what you want it to do.

Average police use will not break in the internals of a USP .45. The external appearence may be a different story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree that nothing should need to be changed. Additionally, the .45 is such a low pressure round, I doubt there is hardly any measurable wear on the internals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Enjoy your pistol, the only thing you should change out are the empty magazines for full ones.
Haha! Will do, sir, will do! What is a recommended range ammo and what's a good source for buying in bulk? Also, what's a recommended self defense load? Thanks again all!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Most use the Winchester white boxed 230 gr FMJs or the Remington 230 gr UMC from Wal-Mart for bulk target shooting (with good results). This ammo is mostly just fine. Occasionally, you may get a defective box or two, but really, that can happen with any ammo. Personally, I handload all my own ammo, so I rarely buy any in a store anymore.

230 gr Federal HST or HST +P is considered by many to be the top performing cartridge in 45 ACP. The other perrenial undisputed favorite is 230 gr Winchester Ranger T series RA45T and RA45TP +P. Either the Federal HST or the Winchester Ranger T will undoubtedly serve you well should you ever need them as a self-defense load, and both fit & function perfectly in your USP 45.

** STAY AWAY from Hornady, and specifically Hornady TAP cartridges in your USP 45. They have been repeatedly shown to be overlength for the chamber leade in 45 caliber HK pistols ** You've been warned.

Also, be aware that the cheaper, non-brass-cased, steel and/or aluminum cased ammo is specifically advised against by HK. Many have used these lesser grades of ammo reportedly without problems, but many, many other guys have had ongoing issues with them. Saving a very few dollars is not worthwhile nor fun if it causes failures with your pistol. You can certainly try it if you like, but be aware that they are generally much less reliable as a group. If your pistol has issues while running it, the first thing to look to will be the ammo, and not the gun.

** Edited to add: DO NOT USE ANYONE ELSE'S RELOADS IN YOUR GUN. This ESPECIALLY includes gunshow reloads. If you want to learn to do your own handloading, that is fine and dandy, and we'll help you get it worked out. But don't assume that anyone else's handloads are okay to use in your gun. The 45 caliber HK chamber leade is shorter than in many other brands of barrels, and what supposedly seems to work fine in your cousin's father-in-law's best friend's 1911 will not necessarily work fine in your USP. Keep in mind that 99.9% of all blown-apart HK handguns were caused by reloaded ammo. HK does not warrant against any damage attributable to ammo. If a big name-brand commercial ammo-maker blows apart your HK, they will necessarily assume liability for your gun and for your injuries.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Most use the Winchester white boxed 230 gr FMJs or the Remington 230 gr UMC from Wal-Mart for bulk target shooting (with good results). This ammo is mostly just fine. Occasionally, you may get a defective box or two, but really, that can happen with any ammo. Personally, I handload all my own ammo, so I rarely buy any in a store anymore.

230 gr Federal HST or HST +P is considered by many to be the top performing cartridge in 45 ACP. The other perrenial undisputed favorite is 230 gr Winchester Ranger T series RA45T and RA45TP +P. Either the Federal HST or the Winchester Ranger T will undoubtedly serve you well should you ever need them as a self-defense load, and both fit & function perfectly in your USP 45.

** STAY AWAY from Hornady, and specifically Hornady TAP cartridges in your USP 45. They have been repeatedly shown to be overlength for the chamber leade in 45 caliber HK pistols ** You've been warned.

Also, be aware that the cheaper, non-brass-cased, steel and/or aluminum cased ammo is specifically advised against by HK. Many have used these lesser grades of ammo reportedly without problems, but many, many other guys have had ongoing issues with them. Saving a very few dollars is not worthwhile nor fun if it causes failures with your pistol. You can certainly try it if you like, but be aware that they are generally much less reliable as a group. If your pistol has issues while running it, the first thing to look to will be the ammo, and not the gun.
Not trying to hijack, but are there known issues with Hornady or Hornady TAP in other HK models or calibers. I interested in the new Hornady Critical Duty ammo.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Not trying to hijack, but are there known issues with Hornady or Hornady TAP in other HK models or calibers. I interested in the new Hornady Critical Duty ammo.
All different ammo should be chamber-checked in whatever barrel you intend to use it out of.

·
Registered
313 Posts
All different ammo should be chamber-checked in whatever barrel you intend to use it out of.
Granted. I had a few factory .38spl SWCHP's that were loaded long. The cylinder would close, but the long ones stop it from rotating when they bumped into the forcing cone.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Granted. I had a few factory .38spl SWCHP's that were loaded long. The cylinder would close, but the long ones stop it from rotating when they bumped into the forcing cone.
To answer your other question more directly: I am not personally aware of any overlength issues with Hornady's other ammo. However, even with that said, I would be careful about it. In fact, if I were to buy factory self-defense ammo, I would stick with HST which has never been mentioned in a bad light on this forum, ever.

·
Registered
313 Posts
To answer your other question more directly: I am not personally aware of any overlength issues with Hornady's other ammo. However, even with that said, I would be careful about it. In fact, if I were to buy factory self-defense ammo, I would stick with HST which has never been mentioned in a bad light on this forum, ever.
Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
As to the OP, most police trade-ins are in a "refurbished" condition. Springs are usually replaced, whether needed or not, and the weapon has been fully disassembled and parts inspected by a qualified armorer. Any agency large enough to auction off their supply to a distributor will have a qualified armorer in the department that can do it. Smaller agencies will trade-in directly to a factory rep, who sends them back to company armorers for it.

Not doing so would leave them open to too many liability problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys truly have a great community here -- all my questions have been answered and then some. Thanks a bunch again folks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts