HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this ’03(AD) built lightly used usp compact with night sights for a pretty good price. Upon inspection of pistol I noticed a little bit of chipping where the recoil buffer would contact the frame. I know that the frame is reinforced with steel underneath the polymer. So I am hoping that this chipping isn’t a cause for concern.

Other than that chipping there isn't very much wear on the pistol at all. The barrel hood looks great and the slide finish has very minor holster wear.

So if anyone can chime in on this for me any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance,

Drew

·
Registered
854 Posts
Could be an inept former owner who tried to 'speed up' cleaning...had an acquaintance whose Dad used a Dremel Tool with a polishing wheel "because it was faster" on a Glock...ended badly!

I *could* be results of a bad recoil spring assembly not contacting the locking lug properly (?) And striking the frame...

That is kind of a strange place for that sort of damage...looking at my USPc .40 frame I rightly do not see how it could be caused by anything rational...might be something to have the experts at HK-USA check out in case its a recurring issue, wouldn't want to cause further damage...

Maybe one of the other USPc guys here will have an epiphany! Keep us informed!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
That step in the frame is the stop for the recoil absorber bushing. The bushing is the white nylon ring on your recoil assembly.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Can you show us pics of your recoil assembly and your slide tab? Also your barrel so we can try to guesstimate whether or not the pistol has alot of rounds through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting orfeo,

I will post more pictures when I get home. I went up north when I had the chance to get a LEO armorer take a look at the compact and shoot a few of their issued weapons so it was worth the ride.

He stated that it looked like the previous owner was inept. He used many more coarse words, but I edited for some readers. I put about 300 rounds through it to day and the chips on the frame didn’t get any worse.

I will upload the pictures when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some of the pictures.

The wear on the barrel didn’t look that bad, but I think what didn’t help was that the previous owner didn’t lubricate this usp at all. This is just a thought; I did purchase this from my LGS about 2 min after it was traded in and it was bone dry. So I think that lead to a little bit of wear on the barrel.

I was also sold this for what the trade in price was so I don’t think I did all the bad.

Drew

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It's a little too blurry for me to see the nylon absorber bushing clearly, but if you notice any chipping or impact stress damage to the white bushing, then you need to change it. The easiest way to do that if and when the day ever comes, is to mail the recoil assembly to HK, and they can replace the bushing in one minute or less. . . possibly at no charge. If you send the whole gun, then you are looking at substantial shipping costs, but mailing the recoil assembly by itself will be very cheap (maybe two or three dollars), and that's what I would do if it ever appears to need replacement.

From what I can tell looking at your pictures, my opinion is that your pistol will be fine. The point where your frame is chipped does not have metal close to the surface of the polymer, but the two sides of that step in the frame do have metal inserts which the nylon bushing bears upon if the slide bottoms out. These two metal inserts are designed to take the impact, not the exact point where you see the chipping.

Good luck with it, and congratulations on getting a GREAT gun. Oh, and before I forget: Welcome to HKPro, the best firearms site on the Internet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey 54,I told you these guys would figure it out.Orfeo is a wealth of knowledge on HKs,along with others I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . In any case, that damage is caused by the slide tab impacting the frame stop.
I was mistaken on this part. Now that I double check, I can see that the tab won't go all the way to touch the step. . . even without the barrel and recoil assembly. Not real sure how that damage occurred, but the rest of my post is good.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I was mistaken on this part. Now that I double check, I can see that the tab won't go all the way to touch the step. . . even without the barrel and recoil assembly. Not real sure how that damage occurred, but the rest of my post is good.
Could it have been someone who was not aware installing the slide back on the frame without completely properly seating the recoil spring assembly?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Could it have been someone who was not aware installing the slide back on the frame without completely properly seating the recoil spring assembly?
Maybe. . . somehow. . . I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't duplicate that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Recoil Buffer

Sorry about the other pictures of the buffer. I took those at about 3am before I left to head back towards the city.

And thanks Rex this forum is great ever since I joined I have been reading all over the place trying to see if there were any posts like mine. There was so much great info to read that it was over load, but it’s a great way to learn a little and kill some time all at once.

Drew

The chips on the frame did leave an impression of the nylon buffer. After my shooting session yesterday, it doesn’t seem that those marks have shown up any where else. I shoot 200 115gr Winchester white box and 100 Federal HST 124gr plus p. And there didn’t seem to be any excessive wear or any more marks on the buffer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts