HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question mostly directed to people that have seen a bunch of selling prices for USPs over the years. I'd like to know what general trends are observed in price depreciation with respect to time and use for all HK USPs. I feel like the models that stray away the most from the normal full sized variants tend to demand the most money upon resale. I have seen this even with variants that aren't really that hard to find, like the stainless steel slide models.

A related question i also have is why the compact models command the prices they do? I have seen some sell with the same round counts, date codes, etc as their full sized counterparts, but at significantly higher prices. The reason i find this odd is because at my local gun shop the compact models are always cheaper new than their full sized counterparts.

I realize that much of this might just come down to demand creating inflated prices, but i'd like to see if there may be other factors at work.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think the compacts command a little more due to their versatility and comfort. The full-size USP line is a large gun...more difficult to conceal and the larger grip is cumbersome for others. I for one don't have that problem, but have heard that numerous times on this forum. The USPc is a great gun with an admirable capacity of 13 +1...conceals well with the right holster.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Agree with rocket. Would like to add the the stainless and colored frames add to the value due to the limited quantities and most of the people that own them will probably keep them so it's harder and handed to find them

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have also noticed the price difference. Probably something along the lines like Rocket mentioned. I carry a USPc 40 for over 3 years now and wouldn't be without it. I carry it year round. A great all around piece. As far as depreciation, i'm not concerned because my HK's are priceless:62:

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
I'm pretty sure I could post my pistol for sale at what it cost new and get that immediately. But I bought it new in the 90s.

IMO guns are a terrible investment unless you've got decades to waste waiting to sell them.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a question mostly directed to people that have seen a bunch of selling prices for USPs over the years. I'd like to know what general trends are observed in price depreciation with respect to time and use for all HK USPs. I feel like the models that stray away the most from the normal full sized variants tend to demand the most money upon resale. I have seen this even with variants that aren't really that hard to find, like the stainless steel slide models.

A related question i also have is why the compact models command the prices they do? I have seen some sell with the same round counts, date codes, etc as their full sized counterparts, but at significantly higher prices. The reason i find this odd is because at my local gun shop the compact models are always cheaper new than their full sized counterparts.

I realize that much of this might just come down to demand creating inflated prices, but i'd like to see if there may be other factors at work.
This and supply really are the driving factors in the firearms market as with any other. "Other factors" just influence supply and demand. The only wildcard is the "I gotta have it" buyer that appears ever so often and throws off the average for selling prices. Like anything else you get what someone is willing to pay.

The use of the word depreciation hints at investment. If that's your reasoning behind collecting USPs of any sort I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed in all but the most rare of circumstances.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a USP-40 that I bought in 1992 or 1993--when the gun was first released. I still have it and it is still my bedside gun, equipped with an Insights SLR-3 with a special attached mount designed to fit the HK USP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my USP Compact .40 in maryland and I paid $600

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I could probably actually sell my USP compact tactical for $100 or so more than I paid for it. I don't think my USP-f 9mm is worth any less than the $550 I paid for it back in the day but it does have a JF kit and UTL on it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts