HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today to test out some different ammo on my .40 cal USP.
Was using PMC 180 gr today.
Felt like I was shooting a 9mm with this ammo compared to the federals which are more like a .357 sig.....

The frame felt ok with this ammo, it felt iffy with the federals, some flex involved.

However today I started shooting the PMC and it was wildly innaccurate at nearly point blank warm up shots.
So much so that the employee who was walking by told me "YOU SUCK" LOL...
I told him the gun isn't shooting straight I think it's old.
He was like what 93? That's not old.... Then said can I try shooting it?
I said go ahead.
He took 1 shot and immediately changed his mind.
Said yup not going straight....

So I got a little frustrated and put a mag in and sprayed it. Since I couldn't aim with it anyways. Then the barrel heated up, and the next mags were shooting straighter.....
Thermal expansion is what was happening to the barrel and it was creating a better fit for the ammo...

So I know exactly what was going on but I'm wondering is my barrel worn out? Is this a symptom of something that is pretty bad?

I did a google search and found out snipers put mags in the sun to expand with heat and get better accuracy. Same concept but opposite parts heating.
So I'm wondering how bad is it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone shot PMC and had this problem? My friend brought his brand new 1911 TRP and it behaved similarly with PMC ammo but nowhere near to the degree mine was. Only a tiny bit off when cold, like inches, and pretty good when warmed up shooting full distance at the range. My shots were like maybe 7-8 inches off target at 7 yards, his was maybe 1-2 inches off at 7 yards cold barrel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for bringing up all these other guns, but I simply don't have another HK USP to compare mine to. I'm the only one who owns one out of the shooting buddies.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well FWIW, I think the USP should be superior or at least on par to these other guns at least in terms of accuracy. That's why I see it as a bit of a problem. The TRP costs more and it's real nice, but it's not my style.

I know for a fact that ammo can affect your accuracy too. I've seen my friends glock shoot as bad as mine did today, then we switched ammo to more powerful ammo from a different brand, and it shot much straighter.

But uh yea, it's a little bothersome for me to waste $10-$20 of ammo to just warm up the barrel so I can shoot straight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My gun is super dangerous, I can hardly see myself even using it for self defense, if it's that inaccurate when cold I could easily miss and hit a neighbor or innocent bystander, I can only use it point blank. Maybe I will just take it to a local armorer now to get checked when I get the glock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve never seen a thread where post after post after post after post after post is someone having a conversation with themself.
Yea just adding details and afterthoughts. Sorry I'm rambling. But the details are important if I want to figure out what is going on.

I was seriously considering buying a HK USP expert .45.... but this has been a troublesome experience for me with this first USP of mine. USP is in high demand around here, hard to find at stores, maybe less than half the stores you will visit would have one in stock and it will be a .40 cal because no one wants them around here..... I would most likely have to order one off the internet if I want a decent one. I dunno what's going on with the arms market here, but it's bad, very bad. You should see some of the ammo I got of blazer brass, I'm throwing away a third of it, or not using it, not literally throwing it away, maybe I'll hand it over to the range for recycling or whatever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I would just sell the USP if I were you. I dont think you'll ever be happy with it.
I've already been told that. It's not THE USP that I'm not happy with, it's MY 1993 USP......
If it functioned properly I would love it, when I got it warmed up and shooting straight it was fine.

I can say a lot of good things about the USP, the perfect weight for having my arms extended and pivoting, awesome sights and aim if it's correct, the sights have the least "air gap" of any stock pistol I've used, which gives awesome aim.
I just wished mine worked properly that is all....
and it does work properly usually, the last half of my range session....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, I would just sell the USP if I were you. I dont think you'll ever be happy with it.
I mean really though, who is going to buy this? I'd just lose out too much, and if it's sold to the wrong person who doesn't fix it, it's a danger to them as well.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I did a google search and found out snipers put mags in the sun to expand with heat and get better accuracy. Same concept but opposite parts heating.
So I'm wondering how bad is it?
LOL...say what?

I'll bet good money you were reading about Robert Furlong...Canadian sniper who held the longest kill record with a .50 Macmillan prior to Craig Harrison (.388LM AI AWSM)...and then came the crazy 3.5km stuff of late.

What WAS SAID was they put the mags out in the sunlight to heat up the rounds/powder so they could get slight bumps in powder temp and pressure and eek out as much MV as they possibly could...pushing shots beyond the limits of their optics that were likely already maxed out on elevation adjustment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should look into the HK 433 threads and meet BarnOwlLover...
I've never seen so many irrelevant replies. None of you know the answers?
What's with my barrel?
And what's with the PMC ammo?

I highly doubt you people have to get your barrels HOT to shoot straight, now do you?
And I'm pretty sure a lot of you had to have tried PMC ammo, would you mind sharing your experiences with me?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
9 time out of 10 it’s the guy/gal behind the firearms. Usually not the firearm. I do wish you luck and I would not give up on HK. It’s ultra premium.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL...say what?

I'll bet good money you were reading about Robert Furlong...Canadian sniper who held the longest kill record with a .50 Macmillan prior to Craig Harrison (.388LM AI AWSM)...and then came the crazy 3.5km stuff of late.

What WAS SAID was they put the mags out in the sunlight to heat up the rounds/powder so they could get slight bumps in powder temp and pressure and eek out as much MV as they possibly could...pushing shots beyond the limits of their optics that were likely already maxed out on elevation adjustment.
No sir, I just googled it and it said that. Didn't mention any sniper names at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
9 time out of 10 it’s the guy/gal behind the firearms. Usually not the firearm. I do wish you luck and I would not give up on HK. It’s ultra premium.
Trust me I'm not a bad shot, and the experienced man who cracked a joke off me even changed his mind when he shot my gun...

After the gun is fully warmed up, I can go out the full distance of 25yards at the range and shoot fairly well, headshots and all.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've never seen so many irrelevant replies. None of you know the answers?
What's with my barrel?
And what's with the PMC ammo?

I highly doubt you people have to get your barrels HOT to shoot straight, now do you?
And I'm pretty sure a lot of you had to have tried PMC ammo, would you mind sharing your experiences with me?
You aren't giving us much information to work with here...

How many rounds on the gun?
What is your maintenance regime?
Is it possibly a case of "cold shooter" getting worked out?

Just FYI, PMC is garbage in the best of times, and we're not in those. We're in the times where ammo is being cranked out as fast as possible and QC is an afterthought.

Possible that you had a squib or pressure spike just enough to compromise the barrel in some way?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it's me, the shooter, then why am I good with any other gun that's in good shape? Like I said the USP isn't the only firearm we bring to the range. I can even shoot fairly well with my USP after the barrel heats up, it's the thermal expansion that creates a smaller bore and the bullet doesn't bounce around during exit of barrel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You aren't giving us much information to work with here...

How many rounds on the gun?
What is your maintenance regime?
Is it possibly a case of "cold shooter" getting worked out?

Just FYI, PMC is garbage in the best of times, and we're not in those. We're in the times where ammo is being cranked out as fast as possible and QC is an afterthought.

Possible that you had a squib or pressure spike just enough to compromise the barrel in some way?
150 rounds through gun.
Shot federal before the PMC and it was innaccurate when cold as well.
I'm not a bad shot....

No I never had a squib.
Pressure spike? Never heard of that one, care to elaborate? But I doubt that as well.
I've only shot this gun twice since purchase now.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
it's the thermal expansion that creates a smaller bore and the bullet doesn't bounce around during exit of barrel.
Neat, because metal expands as it's heated so...you're inexplicably defying physics. Meaning the barrel is seeing temp changes WAAAY in excess of anything your ammo is in ambient temps

1 - 20 of 81 Posts