HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at the range with my USPf w/ the Jet Funnel one of my mags would not lock back the slide after the last shot. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or is this mag toast?? Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sounds like the spring is toast. I dont think Wolff makes any springs for the high-cap jet funnel mags, so your best bet it to get a new spring from HK... you may have to send the mag back, or you may be able to just order one from Cals, CDNN or Mark at OPS2.

ETA

If you want to make 100% sure its the spring, an easy way to check is to take the spring out, stretch it out a bit, then put it back in the gun and see if te slide locks back with the spring stretched out. This will only temporarily fix the problem, as the spring will revert to its "compressed" state after a couple mag loadings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to add that the affected mag won't lock the slide back when its inserted and the slide is moved all the way to its rearward position. I'm sure its a spring issue and I'll be calling HK after the holiday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A couple of contributors to the problem could be:
1) Dirty interior of mag.
2) Dirty / sticky between the slide release lever and the frame.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 16rd mags just didn't last all that long, and I don't know of an easy replacement spring; ie Wolff. I would say they were reliable for about 300 rounds, and that was it. I realy liked the added grip area wtih the jet funnel since my mits hang out the bottom and tended to get pinched without it. Oh Well, I went back to the regular 13 rounders and at least it's reliable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to give the mag a good cleaning and take it to the range this week. The Mag is only 6 months old and has roughly 200 rounds thru it. Thanks again for the replies and happy new year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Clean your mag and be SURE to STRETCH the mag spring. You should have at least 2-3 coils exteding past the end of the bottom of the housing for proper spring tention. Simple fix. Springs will wear; not a big deal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Exactly

Doby nailed it. I get guys in in my club all the time that don't ever check their mags out. If they have a problem they buy new ones. Mags should not be wasted... you may need them in the future. They should also be cleaned from time to time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is probably a cleaning issue. I have 3 18 round clear mags and have had zero problems. I have them loaded all the time for the last 2 years, but i clean them at least 2 a month due to lint from carrying the mags and the HK itself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was definately a spring issue. I cleaned the Mag first, and then assembled it and checked the function of it. Racked the slide and it still didn't lock back. So I disassembled the Mag again, stretched the spring a little bit, assembled and Mag and did a function check. The slide locked back with no problems. I will be taking it to the range this week to see how it works after it is loaded for a couple days. I'll be calling HK soon to order some replacement springs to have on hand just in case.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Stretching the mag-springs is a useful way to see if increased spring-tension will solve your problem, but it is in no way a fix. As F22_RaptoR said, it will only temporarily solve the problem. In fact, stretching your springs will make them even weaker in the long run. You need new mag-springs.

The problem is that HK original mag-springs are often underpowered, and buying an aftermarket spring can be a difficult find. So, you may have to use new HK springs even though they might not last any longer than the previous ones did. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts