HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently my son picked up a used HK USP from my LGS. While we both have been shooters for years, neither of us has had any experience with HK. This weapon came with the "HK USP Compact" manual. I didn't think it was a compact even if that's what was on the cover of the manual. Also the gun has no safety or decocker. After searching the net I decided it was a full size HK USP variant 7. Called HK and they advised that it is a full size pistol, otherwise it would say "Compact" on the gun. Further that it was the LEM (law enforcement modification, hence no safety/decock & double action all the way (we'd figured out the DA part. )HK also mentioned "7.5" which I guess is a variant of variant 7. ?? Forgot to ask him. All of the stampings on the pistol are correct. From the date code it appears ro have been made in 1998. He tried to look up the serial number but couldn't find it and said they only kept the SN's in their computer for a certain length of time; at least the USP's. After that they're purged and are on file with ATF. Hmmm? Sounds odd to me. Guy was helpful and is sending the proper manual. I'd say it's probably a LE trade in. Shows some holster wear but is tight overall and no major dings. Looking for comments from any of you folks who are knowledgeable in HKs. Here's what it looks like. I'd appreciate any comments, info, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
looks clean... mind me asking what you payed for it ??

if your happy with it then theres no worries ... there pretty bombproof so what ever abuse its gotten before ( hardly though with the way the finish is still good) its still good for alot more :p:p:p

IMO.... bit dodge havin no safety !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son had a Beretta 9000 9mm he traded with a few bucks. Not sure how much but said it was a good deal. Plus he didn't like the feel of the 9000 and said the HK felt a lot better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice gun...

Im sure he got a good deal on it, or obviously he would'nt have purchased it. More importantly, how does it shoot?

I myself have a USP as well, variant 1, in 45 acp. It is hands down my favorite gun-- in the near future I plan on making modifications to it ie; match trigger, adjustable night sights, ambidexterous safety/decock lever, and rail adapter(fyi- the USP does not have a universal rail, so finding attachments is very limited, unless you buy another rail attachment). If you ever plan on adding to the USP check out the thread "Lets see your USPs" in the members' gallery section of the forum, you can check out some USP's on steroids and get a lot of ideas there.

But definetely, how bout a range report? Im curious to know how older USP's are holding up today.

Regards,
NL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greetings raveneap,

Welcome to HKPRO!

From your photo, your son's USP is definately the Full Size (USPF).

I too purchased a used Variant 7 USP 9mm a few years ago--KE datecode (1994). It has the original rifled barrel; yours will have the polygonal barrel, since it was manufactured in 1998. Mine came with one factory 15 round magazine (pre-ban) and must have sat in someones safe because there is no mark or scratch on it. I would be surprised if someone even put 50 rounds through it. The trigger on my Variant 7 is MUCH HARDER to pull back than my LEM P2000 40 S&W Variant 2. I think my Variant 7 DAO trigger is about 12 - 13 pounds and my LEM is about 8 - 9 pounds. I would be surprised if your son's USP is indeed the LEM version. I think I had paid about $450 to $460 or so for mine. Trading in his Beretta 9000 for the HK was an outstanding move, in my opinion.

I swear someday I am going to send my USP 9mm to HK-USA to have them put the Match Trigger in it and convert it to Variant 1 (DA/SA). I always feel the need to put my money into more HKs though instead of modifying this one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LEM with 7.5lb pull, you can change it to 4.5lbs(I think)
7.5lb pull. Thanks, Landpimp, another "mystery" solved! :) Any thoughts on their statement that older serial numbers (in this case, I think 9 yrs) are purged from their system and only available thru ATF? Not that he needs the info but I'd think a company would keep them all on file.

Also, hope to get out to my son's place this weekend weather permitting - he's got a small range out back of his place and I'm sure we'll wring out his HK plus I picked up a new Beretta Cheetah I want to put thru its paces. Range reports will follow asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings raveneap,

Welcome to HKPRO!

From your photo, your son's USP is definately the Full Size (USPF).

I too purchased a used Variant 7 USP 9mm a few years ago--KE datecode (1994). It has the original rifled barrel; yours will have the polygonal barrel, since it was manufactured in 1998. Mine came with one factory 15 round magazine (pre-ban) and must have sat in someones safe because there is no mark or scratch on it. I would be surprised if someone even put 50 rounds through it. The trigger on my Variant 7 is MUCH HARDER to pull back than my LEM P2000 40 S&W Variant 2. I think my Variant 7 DAO trigger is about 12 - 13 pounds and my LEM is about 8 - 9 pounds. I would be surprised if your son's USP is indeed the LEM version. I think I had paid about $450 to $460 or so for mine. Trading in his Beretta 9000 for the HK was an outstanding move, in my opinion.

I swear someday I am going to send my USP 9mm to HK-USA to have them put the Match Trigger in it and convert it to Variant 1 (DA/SA). I always feel the need to put my money into more HKs though instead of modifying this one.

Thanks for the welcome, 654Boomer. I did notice that it has a heavy trigger pull but we'll check it out further as soon as we get to the range. I agree, trading the 9000 was a good move. I've been a Beretta lover for many years (was issued a 92FS in 1988 and bought it when I retired gfrom LE. Shoots as good today as it did then.) but I never liked the 9000. Bought a few more Berettas since then. But never came across an HK - got my attention now. Also someone asked if the hammer was internal or bobbed. I'd say bobbed as you can't "thumb" it back as it's recessed but does become fully exposed when trigger is pulled. As far as LEM, the guy at HK was pretty sure about that but w/o serial number data, he was going by description only. Also, in the manual (for the compact which this isn't.) it shows a little key type operated whatever in the mag well - it's not on this one and the HK guy used that as part of his opinion. Said it was removed in the LE units. Oh, well, it appears to be a great gun and hopefully we'll have a range report this weekend. Oh, BTW, it came with two 13 round mags - couple less that the 15's but probably because it's a 40SW. Again, thanks all for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts