HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has done this, but I converted my USP Tactical 45 to fire .460 Rowland cartridges for use as a woods defense gun up here in Alaska. The conversion was straight forward and simple. I obtained an additional threaded barrel- OEM factory barrel - and had Wild West Guns of Anchorage team the chamber to .460 Rowland specifications. It took their carbide reamer to do the job since HK barrels are hardened and my regular Manson reamer would not "bite".. I ordered extra power recoil and magazine springs from Wolff gun Springs - and located a compensator on the internet that was threaded for the 16x1mm LH threads. Everything was assembled and test fired by Wild West Guns - and it functioned 100%.

My chosen "woods defense load" is the Underwood Ammunition 200 grain Xtreme Penetrator load with Lehigh Defenses solid copper CNC Machined bullets for maximum penetration and wounding characteristics. I hope to do a little range work soon with a Chrony and give a report - but for now, here are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Great conversion! .44 Magnum ballistics without the pain and bulk of carrying a huge revolver! Wow! :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've really been thinking about getting a beater USP from gun broker and doing this for a woods gun as well. That or getting a beater .40 and making a 10mm. I'm peanut butter and jelly bro.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Personally, don't want to beat up one of my favorate guns the USP Tactical 45.
But have concidered getting a second FS USP beater, adding 20 lbs recoil spring and running 45 Super.
Underwood makes some heavy hitting rounds in that caliber.
And the gun should be 100% reliable.
Just a thought...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run 18lb springs in my USP, shoot 45 Super all the time. It's been 100% reliable. Don't even have to swap springs back and forth.
It's a great round for dropping Florida hogs.
The USP would be a great platform for .460..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This was a used USP Tactical acquired on Gun Broker at a good price - specifically to do this conversion. I have previously converted XDs and Glocks but wasn't satisfied with the reliability. Usually they were not consistent on feeding the heavy bullets. The HK reliability did not disappoint. The heavy recoil and magazine springs were added for good measure. The compensator helps with the dwell time to allow the projectile to leave the barrel well before unlocking - which prevents case bulging. My budget was $800 for the USP Tactical with soft case and 6 mags, $40 for the compensator, about $30 in springs, and $110 to ream the chamber, install all springs, mark the barrel, reassemble and test fire.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Awesome build!! What comp is that? Never seen one...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Interesting, looks like a great compliment for the heavier load

·
Registered
188 Posts
This was a used USP Tactical acquired on Gun Broker at a good price - specifically to do this conversion. I have previously converted XDs and Glocks but wasn't satisfied with the reliability. Usually they were not consistent on feeding the heavy bullets. The HK reliability did not disappoint. The heavy recoil and magazine springs were added for good measure. The compensator helps with the dwell time to allow the projectile to leave the barrel well before unlocking - which prevents case bulging. My budget was $800 for the USP Tactical with soft case and 6 mags, $40 for the compensator, about $30 in springs, and $110 to ream the chamber, install all springs, mark the barrel, reassemble and test fire.
I'm about to do the exact same thing but with a ported match length barrel covered by one of those fake aluminum USP match weights. Between the weight and the barrel porting, do you think that would reduce muzzle flip enough? Or is a big comp like yours necessary with this round?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Might be the coolest thing I've seen on the web all day.

So, it's a simple barrel and recoil spring change back to shoot 45 ACP?
From what I have read from others seeking this "holy grail", the 460 Roland leaves the 45 Super behind, and by a significant margin.

Congrats on a great build.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Might be the coolest thing I've seen on the web all day.

So, it's a simple barrel and recoil spring change back to shoot 45 ACP?
From what I have read from others seeking this "holy grail", the 460 Roland leaves the 45 Super behind, and by a significant margin.

Congrats on a great build.
My understanding is you can shoot 45 acp in the Rowland barrel no problem, but over time you will erode or gunk up the last ~1mm of chamber that the 45 acp doesn't touch. Given the cost of the barrel I'm guessing most people would take the time to swap back before shooting a bunch of 45 acp

1 - 20 of 41 Posts