HK USP SD 9 MM TACTICAL

What is best 9mm ammo for

Range or target round
self defense round

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
At the range I use WWB (Winchester White Box) from wal mart. They are cheap and work everytime. But you can use any fmj 9mm round, I just use whatever is cheapest for the range. I like Speer Gold Dots for self defense :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
At the range I use WWB (Winchester White Box) from wal mart. They are cheap and work everytime. But you can use any fmj 9mm round, I just use whatever is cheapest for the range. I like Speer Gold Dots for self defense :)
I shoot WWB also. It is about as cheap as you can find.

For SD, I need to order myself some gold dots.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Many different brands of ball ammo are okay to run in your 9SD for target practice. American Eagle, Fiocchi, UMC, WWB. etc.

For self defense, check Winchester Rangers, Remington Golden Sabres, Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dots, etc. +P loads are good to go in the USPs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Federal hydrashock works really well in all my HKs & Sigs.... never a hiccup. My H.D. Ammo bar none!

·
Registered
291 Posts
For the range, I really like Speer Lawman but with the recent shortages, WWB works just fine. Speer Gold Dots are my favorite for personal defense.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Range ammo: anything

Self defense: 147gr Hydra Shoks, and they suppress well. I use them in all my 9mm handguns.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a HK USP SD too: Here's my personal opinion from my experience:

Best 9mm range ammo:
New, cheap bulk whatever from Walmart, Big5 or you can even buy whatever your local pro-2nd amendment gunshop has in stock. Winchester white box, CCI Blazer, Federal American Eagle all works great. I try not to buy Wolf or S&B or Fiochi. Wolf is usually pretty dirty and steer away from it. Why buy a nice sports car and buy gas that makes it run like s***?
Mine HK94 doesn't like reloads like HSM very well. Unless they are re-sized. The USP tackles them.

The Kassenz Award for Best defense ammo:
My first choice is Winchester Ranger 124gr +P+
They have higher velocity, doing over 1300fps. A slight edge in energy over regular 9mm rounds. The design opens up well, feeds reliable, and has "talons" that open up wicked in when I tested them on pork, phone books, & ballistic gelatin. Plus, the nickel coated brass resists corrosion.

My second choice was (USED TO BE, but no longer is) CorBon, Magsafe, BeeSafe, or PPS but not anymore. Ultra high velocity rounds haven't penetrated well on my own independent testing on pork & gelatin blocks. They don't expand at all in dry wall or when they hit 2x4. They have much less accuracy at anything over 15 yards and loose power fast in the air and once they are in the target.

My second choice for carry is:

Honestly, I really recommend the heavier 148gr stuff!!! My real shooting experience proves the heavier 148gr has greater reliability cycling. I was always a fan of hyper-fast speed with a light bullet, but the heavier bullets cycle more reliable. Go buy some. Also, They have noticeably LESS indoor ear damaging noise, almost no recoil, and feed, feed, feed, everytime! These don't have the raw speed, raw kinetic power or the expansion everytime like the +P. But they will have a better chance sticking together after bone or defeating auto glass and other barriers. Oh, and they sound like a paintball gun once you get a Can on your HK USP SD. There are alot of good suppressors out now for that gun. The paperwork is easy. But thats another topic.

CCI GoldDot is GOOD Stuff! The jacket is bonded to the lead and they don't loose their jacket like the Winchester stuff does. This ammo has really proved itself to me (and the FBI and LE!)

Remington Golden Saber is GOOD Stuff! They make bonded and non-bonded 147gr

Hornady TAP 147gr is GOOD Stuff, (not bonded like CCI and Remington tho) Make sure to TRIPLE check your firearm with this stuff, its black colored brass makes it seem unloaded. Bang! Surprise!

Federal's 30 year old Hydra-shock in 124gr (full load) works fine too. Its not bonded, and the post inside is lead and just goes limp inside meat, but its still the standard all premium hollow points are compared with. The "Personal Defense" 135gr aren't my favorite because it lacks overall power, and is a reduced recoil load. In 9mm, it hits like a 38 or like a FMJ 147gr target load in my experience testing. No jams though (for any Federal ammo)!

Right now, Just trying to find 9mm ammo is the challenge. I had to turn on the TV for the first time in months just to see if there was a zombie invasion! Where did all the ammo go?

Thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
138 Posts
A lot of posts about this here on HKPro. It is said the Euopean guns are designed for NATO spec ammo, so that should work best. But like everyone else said, today... get what you can. None of my HK USPs, 9MM, .40 or .45, have ever had a problem feeding my reloads either...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts