HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a HK USP V1 in .40 S&W for about 6 years now. It's been my concealed carry weapon (yes, I know it's huge for that but I find a way) for about 3 years now. I recently handled a P30 and I immediately loved the way it felt in my hand and the pointability of it. Would users of both pistols chime in on whether an upgrade from the USP to the P30 is worth it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Are u sticking with 40sw? How about moving up to a 45acp? The p30 would be slimmer than the USP, but why not just shorten down to a USP compact.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I love my P30's but I shoot my USP's better. So I would say find a way to have both!

·
Registered
596 Posts
SK! SK! SK! SK!

lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have owned the USP .40 S&W in the past. While I found it a high quality firearm I could never get used to the blocky feeling of the grip. It was also very wide and square which did not help with the comfort or concealability of it. I bought a P30 in 9mm last weekend. The edges have been radiused. It is much smoother and the grip itself is almost worth the cost of the entire pistol. It is so comfortable the way it fits in your hand. The back strap and side panels are interchangeable. Until now my Wilson Combat Professional model 1911 has always been my best shooting and most comfortable pistol. I must say that I think the P30 will be replacing my Wilson as my standard every day carry pistol. In my opinion I would drop that USP like a hot rock and move to the P30 if for no other reason than the comfort and feel of the grip. It places the gun in a very natural pointing position and aids in accuracy. I personally am using the medium side grip on the left of the grip, the medium backstrap and the large side panel on the right side to fill the palm of my hand. Aim is dead on with the factory non adjustable sights and the comfort cant be beat.

Hope that helps. I guess to break it down to basics, the P30 is the most impressive pistol I have ownded in quite some time. Im wondering why I never owned one before now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
IMHO, a P30 is not an "upgrade" from a USP. One likes one or the other, or both, for their own reasons. While some complain that the USP has a "blocky" grip compared to the P30, the USP, to me, is way better feeling than a Glock - truly a gun made from two sticks.

My USPs point as naturally as my P30L and my P2KSK.

If your goal is a CCW, the P2KSK is the most concealable. People complain about the P30 grip's rubbing their skin. A USPc model has a thinner grip and is also venerable for CCW. The P2K is about the same size as the USPc in 9/40 frame, and should be another one to consider.

No argument that the P30(L) has an incredible grip.

Anyway, you buy a P30 because you want a P30 for what it is, not as an "upgrade" to your USP.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought 2 P30's two years ago. Shot 1 and saved the other for hard times. I recently got a USPc 9mm and I love it. I shoot it way better than the G19 I traded it off for. I like the blocky, menacing look of the USP.
I'm thinking about trading/selling off the safe queen P30 for another USPc, but in 45.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a P30 40 cal and the thing that sold it for me was the grip. I have small hands and it feels just perfect for me with a medium insert left and large insert back and right. It is about the size of a USP compact but feels like a much larger handgun. The quality is HK standard and it is easy to strip and clean. Personally I think it is the best handgun I have ever owned. In retrospect I might have considered the 45 cal but I am perfectly happy with the P30 40 cal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love the ergos of my P30, but there's no doubt the USP has the better trigger, especially if you upgrade to the Match.
The P30 is a better carry weapon but the USP (or HK45 ;) is the best full size.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Love my p30, it was my first HK. Recently picked up my combat competition and I have to say, that gun will not be going anywhere ever. I love the usp line and even though the p30 melts in my hand, there's just something about the usp that stays with me.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
OP-

Is there anyway you can own both? I know money is tight for everyone but I think you would regret selling your carry peice of 6 years. I know I've been back and forth about selling my USP9mmf to hastily fund a P7 but I'm just going to save, I know I'll regret it because my USPf9mm fills many roles well. Also the P30 is not a upgraded USP, just a different flavor of H.K.ool-Aid. Either way goodluck on whatever you choose, stick with HK and there is no wrong choice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a HK P30S & USP-C,. I like the P30S a lot more but the USP-C is my carry gun because it's available in the caliber I want (.357 SIG). The USP-C is a very good pistol,. And while some would argue that the P30 is not a "upgrade" it is undeniably a "update". I love that I can change the grip panels to fit my hand better,.the ambi controls are very nice,. And mounting accessories are,. Well simpler.

I would say get & keep both if there's any way possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts