HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I happened to be over at youtube looking at a detail strip on my usp when the person said if you detail strip the usp you will void the hk warranty you are supposed to send it back to hk to have it done....First is this true.... what would that service cost and how long does it take?

I never heard of such a thing I`m hoping there`s something I`m missing here....hk will void your warranty if you learn to take care of your gun...hum....This may be a deal breaker for me I really don`t get it...as much as I love this gun I will probably sell it and move on...Jim

EDIT.... I now understand the warranty.... and thank the posters that helped...jim

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My understanding is that if you break it while doing something, you are responsible. If you do it correctly, you should be ok. If you mess something up, and need to send it to HK, expect to pay for your mistake and own up to it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I happened to be over at youtube looking at a detail strip on my usp when the person said if you detail strip the usp you will void the hk warranty you are supposed to send it back to hk to have it done....First is this true.... what would that service cost and how long does it take?

I never heard of such a thing I`m hoping there`s something I`m missing here....hk will void your warranty if you learn to take care of your gun...hum....This may be a deal breaker for me I really don`t get it...as much as I love this gun I will probably sell it and move on...Jim
It sounds like you already don't like the gun...

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I`ve had the gun for about 10 yrs. as a safe queen...started shooting it some time back and love it...but it upsets me to hear about the voided warranty...I'm hoping you guys are right but this guy was very clear about once you field strip it the warranty is voided...

How would HK know if you detailed stripped it anyway..are there some unseen hidden seals or something?....

Apollo11...After thinking about it you may be right...if someone puts it back together incorrectly and it does damage to the gun...I would expect to have to pay for it to be repaired...

Has anyone sent it into HK to have it detail stripped? Jim

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
cashinin..You have owned the gun for 10+years and love it so do yourself a huge favor and purchase the factory HK USP Armorer's Manual from HKPart.net for about $25 it'll tell you everything you need to know and how to do it straight from HK it's money well spent..that way all those You Tube videos won't make you believe or doubt anything because you'll already know..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cashinin..You have owned the gun for 10+years and love it so do yourself a huge favor and purchase the factory HK USP Armorer's Manual from HKPart.net for about $25 it'll tell you everything you need to know and how to do it straight from HK it's money well spent..that way all those You Tube videos won't make you believe or doubt anything because you'll already know..

You're right...I didn`t think of the Armorers Manual I`ll do that...I`ve always been a hands on guy with my guns... I`ve built a half dozen Glocks..... it just startled me about the warranty statement I`ve never owned a gun that the Mfg. had that as a policy...Jim

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts

Sell it, move on. Most, if not all manufacturers authorize only a field strip as outlined in the owner's manual. Anything beyond that is not authorized and you assume liability for it. It's not an HK thing. There are plenty of Armorer's Manuals out there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Your Youtube buddy is full of crap. HKs warranty works like this:
It's covered against defects for life regardless if you are the original owner or not. If you send it in for an issue and there is a part that has obviously been modified then that part and any other part that was affected by the modification isn't covered under the warranty and will have to be paid for by the owner should it need to be replaced to restore function/safety. This doesn't however affect the warranty of any parts that were left unmodified or unaffected by the modifications. Detail strip it all you want and the warranty won't be affected as long as you don't damage anything through carelessness/negligence/modification. If you do damage something through or modify something and have to send it back to be fixed they will charge you to replace what you've monkeyed with but once they do your warranty "restarts".

The cliff notes version is that no matter what you do, if there's a defect in materials or craftsmanship HK will make it right for the life of the pistol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sell it, move on. Most, if not all manufacturers authorize only a field strip as outlined in the owner's manual. Anything beyond that is not authorized and you assume liability for it. It's not an HK thing. There are plenty of Armorer's Manuals out there.
Thanks for the advice.....Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Youtube buddy is full of crap. HKs warranty works like this:
It's covered against defects for life regardless if you are the original owner or not. If you send it in for an issue and there is a part that has obviously been modified then that part and any other part that was affected by the modification isn't covered under the warranty and will have to be paid for by the owner should it need to be replaced to restore function/safety. This doesn't however affect the warranty of any parts that were left unmodified or unaffected by the modifications. Detail strip it all you want and the warranty won't be affected as long as you don't damage anything through carelessness/negligence/modification. If you do damage something through or modify something and have to send it back to be fixed they will charge you to replace what you've monkeyed with but once they do your warranty "restarts".

The cliff notes version is that no matter what you do, if there's a defect in materials or craftsmanship HK will make it right for the life of the pistol.
Thanks for the detailed reply..In as much as the warranty says certain things they can be interprated differently by different people...I really like the USP and intend to do the match trigger and a few other things I`ve planned...Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts