HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this post on another board and thought I would pop in over here and see what's what.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

I had 2 USP .40 compacts some years ago while working "UC" narcotics and mine were both very good weapons. About a year and 1/2 ago one of our officers was involved in a shooting with his compact .40 and had a real problem. When he returned fire at a suspect he had his weapon canted slightly to the left. After his first round was fired, the "slide stop" worked its way out a bit and caused the weapon to lock-up (bad deal). This effectively put him out of the gunfight, fortunately the BG was out of rounds, fled the scene and no one was injured.

I never had any similar issues with my USP compacts, but I normally don't cant my weapon while shooting. H & K would not acknowledge the problem and dismissed it as the shooters error (maybe). We tested his weapon extensively after the incident and the problem repeated itself. My dept. has since "Banned" the USP compacts from our carry list. This issued was tested with the "full size" USP's and did not occur. After checking with other dept.'s, we found that this type of failure is not uncommon with the USP compacts .

I would reccommend that one test their USP compacts to see if your weapon is prone to this malfunction, just for your personal safety and knowledge of your weapon. The 2 I had owned never had any problems and I love the ergonomic's. One could also argue "why is he shooting his weapon Gangster Style", I can't answer that. I feel it is better to test and know if your weapon will be prone to this type malfunction than to not know and find out at the worst possible time (during a gunfight), Good Luck

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I haven't heard of it. I wish I could test it for you.

I have tested my USPf to make sure it can fire from all angles. No problems here.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have to say my first thought is user error. Either the slide stop was not fully seated to begin with or it had gotten broken during range sessions and was never inspected prior to reassembly after cleaning. I have no doubt the the slide release could have somehow broken, but I still have to chalk it up to user error for not catching it. I highly doubt its a defect because there would be more occurrences noted over the years, its so rare that a defect only happens just once.

One question on the USPc is the slide stop platic or steel?

·
Registered
349 Posts
What is a "slight cant" according this guy? Was it just a tilt or was he actually holding it side ways? OBviously we don't know the situation he was in i.e. day or night hiding behind acar door or wall, etc. but I would venture to guess he'd have to be in a pretty awkward position to have to tilt or hold it "...Gangster Style".

·
Registered
616 Posts
What is a "slight cant" according this guy? Was it just a tilt or was he actually holding it side ways? OBviously we don't know the situation he was in i.e. day or night hiding behind acar door or wall, etc. but I would venture to guess he'd have to be in a pretty awkward position to have to tilt or hold it "...Gangster Style".
even so, there is constant tension on the slide stop except for maybe a very small fraction of a second, I would think it takes a lot more than a magazine full of rounds to move a slide stop unless you havent checked your weapon for a long time or something is broken.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The slide stop is steel. I'd be surprised if you could even get it to catch if you tried to press it out from the other side while firing. Anyone want to test that out? :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
The slide stop is steel. I'd be surprised if you could even get it to catch if you tried to press it out from the other side while firing. Anyone want to test that out? :)
you first.

If its steel deformation is less likely of an issue, but a small piece of the slide stop could have broken off along the line causing it to fail I suppose. I really think we are missing part of the story here...These are guns that people try to beat up and fail...they dont just break unless someone does something very stupid or negligent..or they fail to check their weapons over. Its the statement that they can duplicate it that concerns me more than anything.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would test it out if only I didn't have a stainless. I baby my stainless like there will never be another one for sale.

But a USPc could be in the cards for the not-so-distant future.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would test it out if only I didn't have a stainless. I baby my stainless like there will never be another one for sale.

But a USPc could be in the cards for the not-so-distant future.
I think you are would get VERY bored testing when nothing happens after a few thousand rounds.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just saw this post on another board and thought I would pop in over here and see what's what.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Was there any follow up on details of this or any additional comments made by other users who had any knowledge of the issue? I really feel like we are missing some important details.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NFI so far. I haven't seen any reports of this myself, which is why I thought I would post it over here.
I have a UPSf, personally, but it was a weapon I bought on it's rep to go bang every time the trigger was pulled.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds fishy to me so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an AA date code USP 40 Compact that i've had since then, with thousands and thousands of rounds thru it. I have fired it canted, and even inverted, and i can't even recall one malfunction.

Strange things happen when people are involved in a gun shoot out "hot lead flying by your head!". Even the most seasoned of law enforcment officers degress into a blubering idiot in such instances, though rare.

Now if he had said it was a glock i wouldn't even question the malfunction, but an H&K? As others have said there's a peice missing, and he should have sent it to H&K. Even the most trigger happy shooter on here will never see the amount of ammo those guys go thru, i'm sure the've perty much seen it all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I did a ton of research before going with the USP, and I had never heard of any stoppages in combat.

It was this line from the OP
After checking with other dept.'s, we found that this type of failure is not uncommon with the USP compacts .
That made me think WTF? Why have I never heard of this?

I'm starting to doubt the credibility of the OPer far more than the gun at this point... thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have fired my weapon in every position you can thing of, upsidedown on a line included. Never a single failure attributed to the gun, maybe a reload or two, but with duty ammo, never.

There are MANY reasons that one would shoot the gun sideways, infact on my quick one hand speed draws it gets pretty canted. I can just manage the first shot a little better.

I will tell you there are some shooting systems that train holding the weapon in close at a cant while doing clearning. Of course for standoff range shot they all return to a verticle stance to get the sights lined up. Now with this officer in a gun fight, lord knows what he was doing, and it does not matter, his focus was to return fire. Now why the HK failed... I have no idea, I just cant see it when I look at mine. The only thing I could see is a faulty / missing part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've shot mine at angles and never had a problem, nor have I ever heard of this problem.
I'm not going to say the guy's lying...but if this was such a common problem why hasn't it happened to other people?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts