HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im relatively new on these excellent HK handguns ... and got really hooked. Have acquired 3 pistols over a period of 30 days or so. Currently I have the P2000 9mm purchased brand new, USP 45 full size (pre-owned) and recent addition two weeks ago is the USPC 45 (pre-owned). I have always been liking the HE finish on this units as I dont have to bother about sweat, etc.. especially for CCW.

After inspecting the USPC 45 when it arrived, I noticed that there some rusting in speckle form on the rear serrations of the slide. I have tried scaling some of it off which had turned to someone rust color. I have cleaned it with hoppes #9, oiled and wiped clean.

There are still a few left which I think has penetrated the finish. Is this something that I should be concerned about? What can be done to keep it from becoming more rusted? (assuming that this is rust as I seem to see the same color on the sights) Should I just have the slide hard chromed?

Having it refinished by HK is out of the question as I live in Asia.

Your thoughts would be most valuable and most welcome! Love the info on this site.

Tried posting the picture but it does not seem to allow me, I guess it has something to do with being new in the site.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
HE finish still requires proper maintenance. Humidity and salt will rust anything, given the proper circumstance and time. In summary, the HE finished weapons still require a periodic wipe down to avoid what you are now experiencing. HK doesn't refinish anyway, I'd scrub it with Ballistol (if you can get it), allowing it to soak. Then routinely wipe down the slide as a part of daily ritual.

BTW, any pistol finish will rust.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply gtmtnbiker98. I appreciate the tip, I will have to look for Ballistol one way or another as I want to recondition the slide. Im seriously thinking of having it hard chromed... but also worried that the rust will just continue on the inside getting out. If anyone have had a similar experience and had their slides chromed, would appreciate your thoughts if all went well or should I just keep it as it is while maintaining it regularly.

I guess, none of my guns rusted before as I got the earlier ones brand new and religiously cleaned them right after shooting them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 gave you good advice. With sweat and humid conditions any pistol may rust-even a Glock. A wipe down after range use or carry with a quality gun oil/CLP will prevent this. If it was my pistol I would remove the rust and keep it coated with a thin film of oil.

Welcome to the forum !!! Bill

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome Sarge. Im looking forward to more activity in the future. Im doing that now already with it. Cant wait to take it to the range soon... 400 rds when I got it seemed not enough:) Really love the way it handles the recoil... I sold by Glock 23 by the way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sorry to hear about your gun, hope you can get it sorted to where you are happy with it.

on a side note i was wondering what you guys would use to wipe down the slides with if you had to choose....would you use MPro 7 Gun Oil LPX or Birchwood Casey Barricade? Im sure either would suffice but is one that would be 'better' than the other to use? Ive been using the Barricade so far on my AR15 and HKs.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
if oil and a little going over with a rag won't remove it, oil and 000 steel wool and a "very light" rub will,
it won't scratch it don't worry I use it all the time. I live in a humid place like you do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Each people's skin has different PH level, sweat can do the damage if not wiped down.

·
Registered
794 Posts
sorry to hear about your gun, hope you can get it sorted to where you are happy with it.

on a side note i was wondering what you guys would use to wipe down the slides with if you had to choose....would you use MPro 7 Gun Oil LPX or Birchwood Casey Barricade? Im sure either would suffice but is one that would be 'better' than the other to use? Ive been using the Barricade so far on my AR15 and HKs.
I have used Weapon Shield for the past 7 years and I don't know what rust is. Fact is Weapon Shield is the only product that touches my guns. Cleans good, excellent lube, and smells good. Bill

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use Mil-Tec, works like magic. You apply first, and heat it up with hair dryer to get it to work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you are looking to refinish your gun you should look at a nickel boron finish. It will hold up to almost anything.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
There have been many rust/corrosion-preventive product comparisons made about this. The one product that consistantly stands TALL above all the rest is Eezox. It has repeatedly been shown to be highly effective in stopping corrosion on guns.

The triple action truth - Eezox premium gun care products

Clean your rusted slide serrations with a bronze brush and some oil. The bronze brush will not remove nor harm your HE finish. It will leave a bronze colored residue on top of the black HE, but that will come off. Wipe the oil and brushed-rust away. . . first with a rag with more clean oil, and then with a dry cotton rag. Apply Eezox liberally to the field-stripped slide and barrel, polish it in with a cotton rag, repeat and let air dry. Use Eezox as your final wipe-down every time you clean your pistol. Do not apply to any plastic parts, just slide and barrel, and maybe the slide release if you want. . . it is not for plastic.

Corrosion ended. Slide refinish unnecessary. Shooter happy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, HK Pro members do truly support members here. Many thanks for the info/tips/instructions on different types of anti-corrosion products. Looks like there is quite a bit that I have never tried. I will see what I can find over here. Im very happy with my USPC 45 as it is but would like to protect it more as it is difficult to come buy HK pistols here. Will try to get any of the recommended and will show some pics.. in future on results.

Looking up the internet, Nickel Boron seems to be also an attractive finish.... doesnt look very chrome and give this distinctive aged look which I think should look good on an HK with character. A bit flashy for my taste but functional in terms of corrosion resistance and self lubrication.

Going a bit off here.. but does this mean, no more lubrication necessary on the slides?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used a silicon impregnated rag as a quick preventative maintenance on all of my firearms for as long as I've been a gun owner. They are a cheap and easy piece of maintenance gear that hasn't failed me yet. Hoppes and most other big maintenance equipment companies make them. I wipe down my carry weapon after carry and and handling.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have my Noveskie MK18 BCM and upper and my geissele trigger all coated. Being that I can run with no lube does not mean that I do. On a HK there is no need to run it wet so you could probably get away with no lube and the Nickel boron coating. I had my work done at Gun Coating | Firearm Coating .

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Eezox is a great product. According to what I've read over the years, it seems to be potentially more harmful to the body if you get it all over you than other CLPs (Ballistol seems to be the safest) but its corrosion protection is second to none. Just wear nitrile gloves and work in a ventilated area. Wipe a little on, let it sit a minute, wipe off excess and you're good to go. No problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the inputs. I found a local company that does nickel boron finish:) perfect! Just wondering if all the internal parts of the slide and the receiver needs to be treated the same way? What are the pros and ons to it?

Gun ownership is allowed in the Philippines for purposes of sport shooting or defense for the civilian market. It only sucks in buying HK here as purchase of brand new units is limited to Law enforcement or if you can get any excess from an order from the govt. This drives prices hig higher even with pre owned units. I have been drooling over HK45C for a while now and feeling sucks that it can be purchased online in USA and we can't. But that's another story...I'm happy for now for what I have and will post some pics if I'm allowed to once it get the slide treated. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts