HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real long time lurker here and need advice for my first HK purchase. I have slowly evolved from Glocks to Sigs and am now ready for the HK experience. Here is my situation:

I can purchase used but in excellent condition HK USPc .40 AND an used but in excellent condition HK USP(fullsize) .40, both with night sights

or

a new HK USPc .45 but will have to add night sights.

The cost of the two used .40s is about the same as the new .45 and a set of night sights. The primary use for any of the pistols will be off duty carry/CCW and home defense. Here are my questions:

1. How does the .40 shoot in the HK USPs? I know it is very "snappy" in the Glocks, and Sigs.

2. How does the .45 shoot in the HK USPc?

ANY advice is welcomed!

·
Registered
101 Posts
JSBcody: I can't answer your exact question, but I have a P2000SK in .40 and an USPc in .45. I tend to generally favor .45ACP over .40S&W in any platform for a variety of reasons, but in shooting both guns side by side I do not detect the "snappy" recoil of the .40, even thought the P2K-SK is slightly smaller. The recoil system of the H&K seems to mute the felt recoil. As much as I favor the .45 I really like the .40 just as much. Just my .02

·
Banned
77 Posts
.40 Experience

Hey JSB,

I can't say too much about about the USPc45 since I havent shot one yet, but I have a USPc and USPf, both in .40 and I love them dearly. At present, I shoot my USPc better than the full size due to the fact that I have been shooting it for a longer time. It is also my preferred CCW.

As far as the "snappy" .40 is concerned, it is surely a factor. I believe a .40ACP will be slightly easier to shoot. However, by using 180gr carry ammo instead of 135/155gr, the problem (not really a problem) is much alleviated. You can feel the difference between a 155gr Winchester silvertip and a 180gr Speer gold dot immediately (180gr more of a push). I still dont mind carrying Silvertips since the recoil is quite manageable and fast follow ups are easy to achieve.

The only reason why I would prefer the USP40c over the USP45c is magazine capacity (12 vs 8). Both are excellent guns and calibers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My personal opinion is that the USPc .40 is a better pistol than the USPc .45.

A lot of people read that as me saying the .40 round is better than the .45 round, but that's not what I'm saying at all.

A full-size USP .45 holds 12 shots, the compact holds 8.
A full-size USP .40 holds 13 shots, the compact holds 12.

Point being, to get the compact frame on the .45 you give up 4 shots of .45 compared to one shot of .40 for the USPc .40.

Regardless of what you think about .40 vs .45, it's hard to justify accepting 4 fewer shots of an arguably equivalent performing round in a pistol of the same size/dimensions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer the .40S&W, carried one on duty for 3 years or so and it was always dependable, accurate, and had good stopping power.
Heck, I trusted my life to it if that tells you anything.
It is a little "snappy", but as with any weapon, practice and training will get you up to speed for quick follow up shots.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank all of you for your excellent advice and responses! I ended up going with the used but great condition USPc 40 for a couple of reasons.

1. Ammo: already have .40 caliber ammo and my department will supply a limited amount to me for shooting.

2. By waiting a week, my gun broker ended up having an "end of year clearence sale" so the USPc .40 with night sights and 2 magazines cost me $459.00

I will post a range report on the USPc .40 soon

I am going to hold off on the USPf .40 right now, quickly saving some cash up for a P7PSP. Going to make this a project pistol: refinish in Robar NP3 and put some Nills wood grips on it, and maybe some night sights. I am going to take some before/after pictures and before/after range reports.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You got an excellent deal on your USPc. $459.00 is a steal for these guns.

·
Registered
27 Posts
definately a good deal, and the ammo that you use on duty works in your off duty gun so that helps cost, familiarity, and availability of ammo.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are you allowed to carry a p2000 on duty? Cause a P2000sk would be a good backup to it.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Great choice on the 40c. I shoot a 40f but buddies of mine own a 40c and a 45c. The 45c shoots well but I didn't care too much for the recoil. At the range doing some speed-shooting, I found the smaller caliber pistols to have tighter patterns and I have always had better scores with the .40 over the .45.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I carry my USPc 40 almost daily. It's my #1 choice of about a dozen different makes/models that I own, with the only mods being Mepro N/S and a hard chrome job at Tripp's. The 45 probably recoils a bit less, in my experience it feels more like an ocean wave than a snap, which is very common to the 40. HK, and other heavy stainless steel weapons like a Sig 226, or Smith 4006 seem to dampen the snap to where it can be controlled and is accurate, the trade of course is weight, not found in the HK. The HK employs a two stage recoil system that allows fast, on target follow up shots in my shooting of the 40 compact. Size difference, the 45 is bigger and carries less rounds than the 9/40 compact weapons, lay hands on both and shoot 'em if you can. If you can't my advice, for what it's worth is go 40.

Well geez... If I had totally read the post I would know that you got a 40 already... how dumb I feel, $459 set up with N/S is a miracle price you probably would search a long time to try and find again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts