HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 USP full size (.45apc)

The old magazines have a flat floor plate. I just picked up some new USPf magazines and they have an extended finger rest as the new floor plate. Is there any advantage to them? Do they work as well? Opinions, suggestions???

The new magazines are not completely aligned flushed with the base of the grip of the gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2001 USP full size (.45apc)

The old magazines have a flat floor plate. I just picked up some new USPf magazines and they have an extended finger rest as the new floor plate. Is there any advantage to them? Do they work as well? Opinions, suggestions???

The new magazines are not completely aligned flushed with the base of the grip of the gun.
No universal answer. It is different from user to user. Try it on the firing range if it suits you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greetings neomedic,

Is it possible that your new magazines are made for the Mark 23? The reason I ask is that there was a recent thread where Turbodreams purchased some new magazines and they are for the Mark 23.

Not to fret however, as they should perform very well in your USP45F. It is just that there will be a small step/gap with the magazine. As I understand from previous posts, the problem would be if you had a Mark 23 and had purchased the mags for the USP45F, they would not be compatible.

Here is a link to the Mark 23 question/photos.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66452

·
Registered
851 Posts
I like the old school flat bottom mags on my USP Tactical .45. The finger extension does serve a purpose, but my hands are so small, it's almost negligible.

Now if you live in a high capacity mag allowed state, then you should be able to find flat base plates to replace those finger extensions on your hi-cap mags. If you have ten rounders, you are better off trying to look for complete mags with the flat bottoms. The flat base plate replacements are meant for hi-cap mags only.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Based on your photo, the magazine looks like it is seated normally. Unless I'm missing something. I still prefer the flat bottom mags. :D

PS: There's an icon in the response tool bar that lets you insert the link for your pic directly into the post. It's a yellow button with what looks like mountains. Put your cursor over it and it should read "Insert Image".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys!

It seats normally and functions like its suppose to. I just don't like the "new floor plates" which is not flush/level with the base of the handgun grip (by just a little bit...just being annal)

I was wondering if there was reason for the switch in floor plates and any issues with them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Neo,

I believe you're a CA resident correct? I have a 99' datecode USP .45 that came with flat baseplates. IMO I do prefer the flatbaseplates since it sits flush with the gun, but really... unless you have LARGE hands the extension most likely won't be a factor. The grip of the USP is long, so most shooters probably wont feel the extended finger baseplates.

The USP 9/40 10 round magazines (thus bringing up CA res) come with flat baseplates also, and I can't feel those either, even if it came with extended baseplates.

I personally prefer flat baseplates purely for the look. I've switched all my HKs to flat baseplates.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The mags with finger rest are from USP45 Tactical, the normal USP 45 mags have the flat bottom. I'm not sure if new production USP45 are still using the flat bottom. It appears that HK is favoring the finger rest version. Aside from age, the mags are otherwise the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The extended ones actually make reloads simpler as it is easier to seat the mag fully. I have found though that the tabs on them tend to be weaker than the flat base plate version.

·
Registered
239 Posts
HK is making and shipping their 45 mags with the extended curved tactical floor plates now. I have an '02 USP 45 and it came with those mags. Recent purchases from CDNN also were sent with the extended version as well. Numrich gun parts sells the flat base plates if you must have them for the 10rd 45 mags. I tried some and prefer the extended version on the 45. I am just the opposite for my 40 compact and have converted to flush mags for that weapon. Numrich's price if I recall was about $7 each plus shipping, just under $20 for the two I bought to try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weaker tabs...that sucks especially for the price of HK mags. They are pretty expensive, when compared to glocks for example.

Thanks for the replys. I think the extended floor plates with finger rest looks pretty good. I guess I'm just use to the flat ones and they seem to be a little more tough.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Weaker tabs...that sucks especially for the price of HK mags. They are pretty expensive, when compared to glocks for example.

Thanks for the replys. I think the extended floor plates with finger rest looks pretty good. I guess I'm just use to the flat ones and they seem to be a little more tough.
If you are ever going to carry concealed, you'll want the flat baseplates. . . they conceal MUCH more easily. Otherwise, for all-around shooting, the extended ones with the finger rest are just fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just got my USPf 45, there's about enough room to stick a penny or dime in with the finger rest mags. Not going to worry about it unless I have problems at the range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts