HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the way USPs look and feel. The solid craftsmanship and tested reliability of the pistol makes it the only pistol that I would keep if I had to choose one of my pistols to keep.

I was at a couple of local gun stores and got to chat with some of the employees there, and they have said that HK is not very popular in my area. They maybe sell average 2 HKs a year compared to 100+ Glocks. I really think it is the premium price and less knowledgeable customers....but anyone actually hear of this from your local gunshops?
:4:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh yeah, all the time. Bottom line is, Sig and Glock make very nice guns as well. The price and non-mainstream side of HKs is what drives away the customers. Also, around where I am you're close to the Sig plant as well as the Smith and Wesson plant. They seem to also drive many other brands away.

People just know about sigs and glocks, they get the press, the price, and the reputation.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Yeah, I hear that around here too. Not that few though I can usually find 3 or 4 on the shelves at my favorite fun shop. Of course they have more Glock, Smith and so on in stock. But you got the idea as to why. Some just don't recognize the quality difference. As long as it goes pow they are happy but then again so is my 3 year old when I take her out with her BB gun. ;)

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I agree. Glocks have way more media reputation and more people recognize that name over the name HK. If I say to a everyday non-gun person "whats a USP?" they might say a car or something else. If I say "whats a Glock?", virtually all will respond with "it's a gun". So when it comes down to what sells more of course it's going to be the infamous Glock that has been weilded by so many good/bad guys throughout the history of modern movies. Is this the basis on which a handgun purchase should be decided, of course not, but it does happen. Factor all that in with the price comparison between the two guns and it's no wonder why more Glocks walk out the door than HKs.

For the record, I bought my HK first and my Glocks after that. I recognize the name HK as qualtiy and I am sure there are plenty of people out there just like me. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
A big reason that more HK's are not sold is that HK requires gun retailers to purchase a minimum amount of handgun inventory on an annual basis. I've been told that the dollar amount of that inventory could approach $100,000 on an annual basis. That's a pretty big expenditure for a small gunshop. Also, if the dealer does not stock HK guns, they can't go to HK for accessories (of course they could go through a national distributor).

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Oh yeah, all the time. Bottom line is, Sig and Glock make very nice guns as well. The price and non-mainstream side of HKs is what drives away the customers. Also, around where I am you're close to the Sig plant as well as the Smith and Wesson plant. They seem to also drive many other brands away.

People just know about sigs and glocks, they get the press, the price, and the reputation.
I completely agree. Ironically, it's the non-mainstream part that makes me like them all the more.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
A big reason that more HK's are not sold is that HK requires gun retailers to purchase a minimum amount of handgun inventory on an annual basis. I've been told that the dollar amount of that inventory could approach $100,000 on an annual basis. That's a pretty big expenditure for a small gunshop. Also, if the dealer does not stock HK guns, they can't go to HK for accessories (of course they could go through a national distributor).
Maybe its because he's not a retailler, but my FFL orders one or two at a time on an as-sold basis.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I became familiarized with HK because of the vast amount of video games I play(God bless Resident Evil 2, in which the main character carries a VP-70). But even in that medium there scarce, honestly I think it will be this way for a long time. HK's for people who want an incredibly reliable gun for a steep price, and Glocks for everyone else. But don't get me wrong I still think Glocks are cool ,there just not HK's.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I bet Kia sells more cars than Porsche.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Beside that HK are a lot more exspensive then Glock or XD's, there is thanks to CDNN and HK distribution pollicy no money in them for FFL.
As a FFL, my distributor has higher prices then CDNN on a HK and unless I buy $12,000 a year form HK, I can't get them cheaper then anyone can buy them form CDNN.
It's that simple.
So why would a FFL stock them and gues what someone buys, when he walks into a gun store without making up his/her mind?
Right, what the gun store has on the shelf and that is most times Glock, Walther, XD's, S&W, Taurus, ....!
By the way, after CPO and dealer direct I don't stock any more SIG's either!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup.

The only reason I bought the USP is because I bought an HK SL8. The only reason I bought that was because it is one of the few unrestricted 'black rifles' in Canada.

So I bought the rifle and soon fell in love with it. When I went shopping for a pistol I wouldn't have given the HK the time of day had I not had good experiences with the rifle. It is only be sheer, chit-house luck that HK earned my customer loyalty at all. Had I lived in the US I probably would have bought a high end AR-15 and a high end 1911 and would never have discovered the fine HK guns at all.

HK's marketing blows. More people would buy the product if they knew more about the product. As it stands now, many shooters are buying other weapons without giving the HK guns the evaluation they deserve.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I became familiarized with HK because of the vast amount of video games I play(God bless Resident Evil 2, in which the main character carries a VP-70). But even in that medium there scarce, honestly I think it will be this way for a long time. HK's for people who want an incredibly reliable gun for a steep price, and Glocks for everyone else. But don't get me wrong I still think Glocks are cool ,there just not HK's.
Dont forget Metal Gear Solid, in all of those games the main character carriers a Mark 23 SOCOM with LAM and Knights Suppressor.

I can attribute my gun fasicnation with the video games too, especially Resident Evil...now RE 1 and 2 were classics.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have run into the same thing at a very large gun store. I was told that if I bought HK I was buying a gun that probably could not be serviced. They were waiting on parts from HK for almost a year. And they are HK dealers. Go figure. I won't get into the details about CDNN. I tried to deal with them once. It didn't go very well. I choose to go with SCP Firearms. Steve is a little more expensive. But, he makes up for it with class and service. I have bought two used guns from Steve and could not be happier.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Yup.

The only reason I bought the USP is because I bought an HK SL8. The only reason I bought that was because it is one of the few unrestricted 'black rifles' in Canada.

So I bought the rifle and soon fell in love with it. When I went shopping for a pistol I wouldn't have given the HK the time of day had I not had good experiences with the rifle. It is only be sheer, chit-house luck that HK earned my customer loyalty at all. Had I lived in the US I probably would have bought a high end AR-15 and a high end 1911 and would never have discovered the fine HK guns at all.

HK's marketing blows. More people would buy the product if they knew more about the product. As it stands now, many shooters are buying other weapons without giving the HK guns the evaluation they deserve.
I wish that would change. They've been advertising the P30 and HK45 pretty heavily, hopefully (if) the 416s become a reality, they'll advertise those as well. I'd love to start seeing a bunch of 416's mixed in with all the Rock River Arms, Bushmasters, Colts, and Armalites at an upcoming gun show.

I also wish they'd just keep making some of their more infamous models, just for brand recognition, whether they lost money on them or not. Purely for the point you gave - drawing people to the brand. Kind of like how Dodge does their SRT line: I've heard they lose a ton of money on the Vipers because they have such low production numbers, but they still build them because they bring people into the showrooms.

For example, HK could continue to produce the HK91/3/4, and P7s, and maybe a more economical version of the PSG1, just in low numbers. Yes, now I'm REALLY dreaming.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
... now I'm REALLY dreaming.
You will never ever again see a HK rollerlocked blowback rifle beside MP5"s.
HK sold the machines, tools, plans and all rights on the 9x series.
The only thing you might see are guns from Pakistan and/or Tuerky.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"especially Resident Evil...now RE 1 and 2 were classics."

"You were almost a Jill sandwich" LOL!

Seriously, it's nice to see a fellow Resident Evil fan on this board. You have good taste my friend. In video games, and firearms.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
You will never ever again see a HK rollerlocked blowback rifle beside MP5"s.
HK sold the machines, tools, plans and all rights on the 9x series.
The only thing you might see are guns from Pakistan and/or Tuerky.
Don't they still make current PSG1s and MSG90s? Those are just 91 receivers with a few minor modifications.

Never say never. The latest 416/417 news reaffirmed that old chestnut.

Besides that, this is my dream. How in the heck did you get in here? :)

1 - 20 of 114 Posts