HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have googled but not yet sure of my next step. Bought a used HK VP 9. Finally got to the range last week and had 3 misfires out of about 100 rounds. It has the red tip recoil spring. Some say get 124 gr, and I was using 115. Others say to change the spring.
Pretty concerned, as I got rid of my Glock, which never had an issue in 10 years of shooting. Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Were all 100 rounds the same ammunition?

I had 2-3 FTEs in the first 500 rounds (mix of 124gr NATO and 115gr FMJ) through the VP9 and then never again even when I swapped to the long slide kit with all sorts of ammo from 115gr FMJ crap range stuff to 147gr HST...

Sounds more like a bad batch of ammo, try some good quality ammo and see if it does it again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
Before you start burning through precious ammo, can you describe the misfires and give details on the ammo?
If it's light strikes on the primer, first check the striker is moving freely in the channel.

And welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I have had Many vp9s when first fired they tend to be tight meaning not always extracting and ejecting after 500 rounds I never had a problem again they where designed to work with 124 grain ammo. you can lock the slide open for a day or so to help loosen up the spring or shoot 124 for the first 500 and after that you should be good. I have seen other types of pistols with the same issue too

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Not one of my six VP9 and VP9L pistols has ever had any kind of malfunction, except for deliberately set up malfunction drills in training classes. They have all functioned perfectly no matter what ammunition I have run, from 115-150 grains.

Was the ammo you used brass case? Steel case ammunition is the cause of most VP9 issues, and is specifically called out by HK as not to be used in any of their pistols. The VP9 has a stepped chamber for more accuracy, making steel cases even more incompatible.

And, by the way, a “jam” is a stoppage that cannot be solved without tools- “malfunction” is the word you mean.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Was it in battery when it misfired? Early VP9s were easy to get pushed out of battery or in some cases return to battery.
When you say jammed what kind of malfunction? Did the next round not feed, did the previous cartridge not eject, was there a stovepipe?

what specific ammo were you running?

Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a used VP9 a couple years ago, and it looked unfired. My first mag of 115gr ammo produced a failure to return to battery, and required a slight bump on the back of the slide. I dropped the mag, cleared the chamber and ran 100 rounds of 1214gr ammo through it with no problems. And I haven't had a problem since. I suspect the problem is the stiff spring...but I could be wrong.

·
HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
1,198 Posts
My new VP9 would not function on 115's even after a few days with slide locked open. Put a mag full of 147's down the pipe and after that all was well. It's seen nothing but 115's since. I had to do the same with the long slide kit as well. As anything, YMMV

·
HK Shooting Team
2,786 Posts
I find it amusing that a guy that joined 6hrs ago and complains posts about a USED VP9 “jamming” gets so much attention when he provides absolutely no specifics.....The only answer for Cardioscott with no useful info is to call HK customer service and send the pistol in for inspection if he doesn’t know what he is doing. The will tell him if something has been altered since it is USED or if it is fine and user error

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
This new look is hard to get used to!

Nato ammo, and +P ammo!
American + P ammo is about the same as the nato pressures.
euro guns are tested w nato pressures.
I use +P for all HD rounds.

Reactions: WolfieRules
1 - 11 of 11 Posts