HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not the most creative topic and I know this is an HK forum, but in .45, HK VS SIG. Gimme the pros and cons. The Sig p220 is an incredible gun - I've never shot a USP .45 but I find it hard to believe that it couldbe better. Then again, Hk's higher-up variables like the tactica and the Mark 23 are beyond anything that Sig offers. The Sig p220 combat is kindof lame - same gun, different finish - no real upgrades. Thoughts?

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I bought my USP 45, I planned on carrying it cocked and locked. At the time I felt I was picking the most reliable SA 45 there was. I remember thinking at the time how I wish Sig made a SAO 220. Of course they came out with one about a year later. I would say they are both good guns, but dont care for eithers DA trigger.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have fired a range rental USP45 and it had a horrible trigger that took three men and a small boy to pull, and afterward you got a merit badge. On the other hand I fired an Expert 45 that was as smooth as hot butter and kicked butt on any 1911 I have shot, including my own. My Sig 220, for the most part I can say nothing but good about, from day one its been reliable and accurate as can be. Since the lower was refinished in NP3 by Robar it's been slicked up and feels like it's had an action job. The finish left a little to be desired when it became wet in my trunk (accidentally of course!) and rust spots appeared instantly, it left me wondering if it was an "indoor only" weapon not destined to be carried in inclement weather. Never fear, Robar rescued me, and it now wears a Roguard black slide with an NP3 silver teflon lower. Both are German, have a business-like appearance, command respect, and are excellent choices. There's an edge in capacity and action versatility with the USP, and I would venture the HE finish on the HK wouldn't have rusted so fast. In favor of the 220, what it may lack in capacity, it makes up in straight-out-of-the-box accuracy, that I have seldom found anywhere else.

·
Registered
765 Posts
One issue - capacity. The USP 45f carries 50% more rounds in the mag than the Sig 220 - but also has the resulting wider grip.
Sig has 1913 standard rail, whereas the USP line has a proprietary rail. Just depends on how important the accessories are to you.

Sight radius is close enough that you won't notice the difference.

Other than magazine capacity (and the resulting grip circumference) most of it is going to come down to personal preference. Weight - lighter is easier to carry, heavier is more stable during shooting. Polygonal rifling vs. conventional rifling.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
Owning both Sigs and HKs, I will say this. I like Sig 9mm's and HK 45's. Keep in mind I have not fired my P7's yet.

I shoot my HK 45's much better than my Sig 45's and shooting the P226 in 9mm has always been second nature to me. Don't get me wrong, both are excellent guns. You really can't go wrong with either one you get,

My advise, get both with a crap load of magazines!

·
None Sluttier
79 Posts
i have found sigs to be finicky about certain types of hollowpoint ammo.

i had a pretty unnerving sig ftf during an armed encounter a few years back.

so i'm pretty biased against sigs, even tho they shoot very well with ball ammo.

just my $0.02, i'm sure others will disagree with me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My USP 45 Tactical has the Match Trigger Parts as it's suppose to and I find it to be much better than my regular USP 45 ans also better than my Sig 220. I guess it's the overtravel that bothers me more than reasonable trigger weight, but smooth is also important.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have found sigs to be finicky about certain types of hollowpoint ammo.

i had a pretty unnerving sig ftf during an armed encounter a few years back.

so i'm pretty biased against sigs, even tho they shoot very well with ball ammo.

just my $0.02, i'm sure others will disagree with me.
That's interesting...I've heard of many issues with Sigs...and that's what has turned me off of to them, so far. I don't usually keep a gun that has FTF FTE etc. issues...

As said before, the USP .45 holds 50% more ammunition, which is a no-brainer for me...

·
Registered
229 Posts
As much as I love SIG. Lately, I've heard a few issue with current production SIG pistols (especially on sigforum). It seem like SIG isn't what they use to be.

Right now I say HK pistol is a much safer bet

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
220 vs USP

I've had both, as most said they are very different. the USP is great for mag capacity but the 220 is easier for concealed carry as they don't make many holsters for the full size HK, and it is one BIG pistol...... If you have smaller hands the Sig is your pistol for carry. I sold my regular USP to get a Tactical to suppress. Never had a hiccup from either pistol. Really there is no comparison between the two.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I agree. I've shot both as my range has tons of sig and HK nuts. :) The 45 USP is large but damn accurate. However the sig has the single stack and has a slightly narrower profile. Becuase of its narrowness it feels better in my hand (since I have small asian hands). I also do like the sig's sights with the white stripe in the middle of the rear sight. Makes spotting a lot faster. But personally if I were to buy one, I'd go for the HK due to reputation, even though its much bigger.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've fired both plenty of times. These are my opinions about the 2.
The sig has longer slide rails than the HK, (they go all the way down the frame) so when you are re-assembling you need to feed the slide in from the front of the frame whereas with the HK you can drop the slide onto the first 1.5" or so of the frame and then use that as a guide, so the HK reassembles quicker but the sig has a nicer fit. The sig seems to have a nicer trigger pull than the HK too. The one thing i don't like about the sig is the location of the slide catch, if you want to manually lock the slide open or use the catch to drop the slide its in an awkward location being so far back on the frame, whereas with the usp its a larger catch and its further forward so you can engage it with either your thumb or your index finger of your left hand. For the sig you need to engage it with the thumb on the hand thats racking the slide back apparently. The last 2 things are that the sig uses single stack magazines and despite that it has some fairly wide grips. The HK uses a staggered mag but this doesn't make the grips any fatter than the sig's. The sig is a steel frame, hk is polymer. Price difference is about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
...i had a pretty unnerving sig ftf during an armed encounter a few years back.

so i'm pretty biased against sigs...
That would have been all I need to sell the Sig...period! FTF could get some one killed...what a frightening experience that must have been.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I know it's not the most creative topic and I know this is an HK forum, but in .45, HK VS SIG. Gimme the pros and cons. The Sig p220 is an incredible gun - I've never shot a USP .45 but I find it hard to believe that it couldbe better. Then again, Hk's higher-up variables like the tactica and the Mark 23 are beyond anything that Sig offers. The Sig p220 combat is kindof lame - same gun, different finish - no real upgrades. Thoughts?
I think you analysis is pretty much right on. I own both HK & Sig and love both ~ both are quite different but never the less they are both great.
No question Sig triggers are better than the reg USP...when you get to the Match Trigger then it is a much closer call. It is a tough call between a P220 and a Tac 45 but I too would give the edge to the Tac. The P220 IMO is still better than a reg USPF or Compact thought. My opinion is primarily based on the trigger/shootability. There are a whole host of other areas you could compare but as you mentioned "The Sig P220 is an incredible gun" ~ I would agree...but shoot a Tac and reg USP you be the judge.
PS..I don't agree with some of the Sig-Bashing comments in some of the other Posts and I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have two Sig P220s (both with action enhancements) and two USPf .45s. I like the USP trigger better. The USPs' DA pull is shorter and they have a much faster reset. The USP reset is about on par with my Glocks, which I like. I like my Sigs, but I'd take my USPs over them any day of the week, even for concealed carry.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i love both of them, the only problem with the usp is the plastic frame, my tact 45 has the rails damaged by a blast 1. the rail version of the sig 220 would not have that problem. however as mentioned before the weight and mag capacity is better with the usp. the real advantage of the usp that sold me over a sig was the tact and its features. but my favs are still glock 21, sig 220r and usp tact 45.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All helpful replies guys - thanks. Unfortunately, you all disagree with each other. lol. But I think I'm gonna pick myself up a Mark 23 if I can find one at a good price. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the Sigs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only thing I HATE about the USP is it's damned mushy trigger, even the match trigger is extremely mushy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had both, as most said they are very different. the USP is great for mag capacity but the 220 is easier for concealed carry as they don't make many holsters for the full size HK, and it is one BIG pistol...... If you have smaller hands the Sig is your pistol for carry. I sold my regular USP to get a Tactical to suppress. Never had a hiccup from either pistol. Really there is no comparison between the two.
The USP .45f is pretty easy to conceal during the winter, warmer months would be difficult.

BlackHawk does offer I great holster. Serpa CQC

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t269/buelow16/CIMG4878.jpg?t=1170570208

I have this same holster.

Paratroop23

USP .45f
USP .45c
USP .40f Combat Custom

1 - 20 of 62 Posts