HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting another class III gun to supplement the MP5. I want to get something in a rifle cartridge. I've been looking at some M16's but they seem so cheap compared to the HK stuff. I like the HK53's but don't really want another short gun. The HK33 seems like a pretty good competitor to the M16.

Were these converted from another gun (i.e. HK94-MP5) or did they just take semi HK33 and make it full auto. It seems like most of the .223 HK guns are HK53's, did they not convert that many ? They seem to be hard to find.

Also if I do decide on the HK53, what is the effective range ? Is it accurate past 100 yards ?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The HK33 is the real-deal... 5.56 F/A rifle.

http://www.hkpro.com/HK33.htm

In summary:

G3 - F/A .308
HK91 - S/A .308

HK33 - F/A 5.56
HK93 - S/A 5.56

All HK5x series rifles are products of U.S. arms makers modding one of the above listed rifles.

HK51 are from HK91's
HK53 are from HK93's

If you find a genuine HK33, it's more than likely going to be a registered Class-3 and expect to pay $15k+

Optionally, you could purchase an HK93 ($2.5k-$3k) and get a registered sear ($12k-$14k)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crazy thing is they're cheaper than a lot of M16's out there. The only reason I would rather have the M16 is because all the parts that are out there for them.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The crazy thing is they're cheaper than a lot of M16's out there. The only reason I would rather have the M16 is because all the parts that are out there for them.
Remember, all those HK53's you see for $4k-$5k are semi-autos built more than likely from U.S. made clone receivers. Add a registered sear to make it F/A and you're in the $20k ballpark... still cheaper than an M16?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually talking about F/A on both. The M16's seem to be anywhere from $13,000-$26000. And the HK53's are about $19,000 for a sear gun and $22,000 for a RR. I'm maybe overstating it a little bit, but for the quality of a the weapon it seems like the HK's are head and shoulders above the M16's. Also the M16's mentioned for $13,000 are pretty rough looking, all the HK stuff is in pristine shape.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Ok, so we're on the same page then :) WOW, I assumed M16's were in the $15k range (in great condition).

I'm not the guy to give you a solid answer to the "why" question. I own a few AR's and M4's and really like em. Do I think an HK is a better gun? I think that can go to the old argument, which is better, a Chevy or a Ford -- both have their strengths and weaknesses -- in the end it's your individual opinion on which you'd have more fun shooting :71:

Parts for 33's are far less common than that of G3's (.308) and thus will command a higher price. The M16 is US made and there are a ton of companies now making them... and of course military surplus... hence readily avail parts are very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm looking at getting another class III gun to supplement the MP5. I want to get something in a rifle cartridge. I've been looking at some M16's but they seem so cheap compared to the HK stuff. I like the HK53's but don't really want another short gun. The HK33 seems like a pretty good competitor to the M16.

Were these converted from another gun (i.e. HK94-MP5) or did they just take semi HK33 and make it full auto. It seems like most of the .223 HK guns are HK53's, did they not convert that many ? They seem to be hard to find.

Also if I do decide on the HK53, what is the effective range ? Is it accurate past 100 yards ?

I would buy an M16 while the prices are flat. You can pick up an M16 for anywhere between $9500 on the low end for a non-Colt registered receiver to about $20K for a Colt A2.

The prices I would expect to pay for an M16 are as follows:
non-Colt RR or Colt SP1 RR: $9500 - $10K
Colt 614: $12500 - $13500
Colt M16: $13k - $14K
Colt M16A1: $14k - $15k
Colt M16A2: $16k - $20k

As far as the M16 feeling cheap, I have to disagree. I love my Colt M16s and also love my MP5K (built on an SP89 with a DLO trigger pack). The M16 is the most flexible MG you can own right now. It is easily user maintained. Parts are plentiful and tier-1 quality parts are relatively inexpensive (especially when you compare it to HK and Sig 55x parts). Innovative new products are continually being released for the M16....Magpul, Tangodown, LaRue, Noveske, Knights Armament....Piston uppers from LMT, LWRC, HK.....the list goes on and on. Reliable short barreled uppers with barrel lengths ranging from 7.5 to 12.5 inches. Easy caliber changes - to 6.8mm, to 7.62x39, to 22LR. As for the 33, I have a good amount of trigger time behind a buddy's 33. It is a neat rifle and I'll likely pick one up eventually, but personally I like the '16 better than the 33.

Keep in mind, I am not saying the M16 is better or worse than the 33/33K. In the end it is all about personal preference; if you like M16s get the M16, if you like the 33 get the 33. I like owning a wide variety of fullauto items. If you can purchase both that would be ideal.

If you do pick up a '16, you can always give it some Germanic HK character, put a 416 upper on it ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what sucks with class III, there's almost too much stuff to choose from. Would you say with all the aftermarket M16 stuff they're as reliable as anything out there ?

After reading your post I looked at some of the M16 piston uppers out there. I never realized there were so many parts available. Do you like the POF uppers ? Also those magpul magazines look pretty tough.

Anyways I don't want to get too far off of the HK path, I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
.223 is an awesome round. I've always loved the 93s and the MP5s, so of course I've been a fan of the 53s. Here is a few that show the differences between the stocks and lengths. The Urbach 53 has the extension to make it Title 1 and a MP5-F stock. It shoots great in full auto, as does the 33k that RDTS just built from a 93. If I could only have one, it would be the Colt M-16 lower with HK 416 upper. Works great with the AAC M4-2000 suppressor shown in the picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts