·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
For what purpose?

Investment?
Recreational shooting?
Actual battle?

And what type?
For the HK, is it sear or registered receiver?
Is the M16 a real M16 or a RDIAS?

Is this another silly hypothetical question, or are you seriously trying to decide on one or the other?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry... gun aginst gun in combat for their intended purpose. Just some chatting at the range today with a buddy and wanted to see what others opinions were for weapon choices between the two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a toy, AR15. I shoot allot of .22 and there is no HK .22 conversion for a trigger pack or host gun.

As a tool, HK. More reliable and at least equal in accuracy, trigger quality and ergonomics.

I own several versions of both, M16 with .22 uppers get more hammering.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
As a toy, AR15. I shoot allot of .22 and there is no HK .22 conversion for a trigger pack or host gun.

As a tool, HK. More reliable and at least equal in accuracy, trigger quality and ergonomics.

I own several versions of both, M16 with .22 uppers get more hammering.
Sure there's an HK33/93 .22LR conversion kit. I've got one and it works great. They're not as common as the .308 kits, but they're out there.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Sorry... gun aginst gun in combat for their intended purpose. Just some chatting at the range today with a buddy and wanted to see what others opinions were for weapon choices between the two.
At this point, I'd go with an HK33, but mostly because I know it inside and out, I can shoot it really well, and I know it can handle any situation I might find myself in. I can literally take it apart and reassemble it in the dark. I'm not nearly as familiar with the stoner rifles. If I knew them like I do HKs my answer might be different, but for now, HK.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Depends on the environment and opportunity for cleaning/maintenance. Harsher environments and closer ranges I'd say the HK. Longer ranges and less harsh environments it'd be the M16.

The M16 should only be a 3 round burst, I don't know if the Govt ever sent out full autos after the initial releases.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anything before the M16A2 was full auto without burst as far as I'm aware ie..M16, M16A1 no burst.

·
Registered
266 Posts
id take the M16A1 over the Hk33 anyday

1.faster reload!
2.about 3lbs lighter!
3.can get parts any place any time!
4.see all the above

(on a side note)
after 21+ years in the U.S.M.C.
and using the weapon from 1981 to 1986
and then going to the M16A2's with there crapy 3rd burst trigger pull.
some of us guys had A1 lowers on the A2 uppers
all the guys in my unit (1st Force Recon Bn)
with the 203 on there weapon would op for the A1 lower on there Weapon
they just like that Full auto thing..it works!

and Nothing Screams! 180 out..then a 11.5"bbl on a M4 with a A1 lower on it..

·
Registered
31 Posts
i'd take an A1. i simply know the gun better, so if i had to pick right this second on one or the other to bet my life on... m16a1.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The M16 is very versatile and a great weapon.Has toooo many accessories available.Mags are cheap.
The HK is a dream to shoot.Smooth and controllable almost like the MP5.
You can tell a very big difference between them when shot back to back.Thats where the extra weight comes in at.For play,the HK.For work,the M16.Just too many people and places to get parts mags etc around the world if it were a work/war situation.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If I was a solider in the U.S. military I would want the M16. If I was in a SHTF situation where I was living off the land/road warrior scenario I would take the HK33. The HK is incredibly robust (and heavy) and likely to be much lest sensitive to dirt/dust, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
If I have to chose right now M16 hands down. I am too accurate with this gun to switch to anything else. If I had ample trigger and training time with the 33 then, well, I don't know. Also, as was said earlier, there so much support for the M16 available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The best deal going now on a .223 machine gun is an FN FNC. A great, reliable and very controllable gun for alittle over $7k. That was my first 5.56mm MG. Some people point to a lack of spare barrels and such as a down side to an FNC.

If you insist on spending $12k +, I would go with the M16 and put a gas piston upper on it. The 16 will run cooler and cleaner than a 33.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
We are talking about the M16A1.
That was a POS, not an M4 of our days!
A HK 33 would be a blessing in those days against an A1!!!

Now, if you ask me about a todays M4 or HK 33, I would take the M4!
And I know, because I have both of them!

·
Registered
187 Posts
the Hk33 is a lot more controlable under full auto fire. The m16 jumps all over.

I would say the hk33 over the M16, but if you want versatility go m16.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts