HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirming. I was pretty sure the P9S was used by at least one agency (possibly the GSG9) maybe others too like police forces, customs, etc. Any more info to add to this topic?

·
Registered
188 Posts
They both were. The HK4 was the P11 before the P11. I suspect the P9 had more success internationally as well as in Germany. Both are very interesting.
Hello Mawashi, where did you get this information that the HK 4 was the P11 before the P11? Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find any verifiable evidence of this. All HK 4 pistols delivered to the German authorities (customs and judicial agencies as well as the Berlin police) are marked "HK 4". The same applies to the packaging and the official instruction manuals.

HK 4 service pistol with .22 LR conversion kit of the German customs police

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vielen Dank für die gute Auskunft collani!!! I better do the rest in English to keep everybody in the loop. The link you provided was outstanding. I once had an HK4 pistol in 9mm kurz that had a test target proofed in 1986, so it must have been lying around the HK factory for a while after production stopped which you say was in 1984.

Can you shed some light on the use of the P9S in German police service? Thank you again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Vielen Dank für die gute Auskunft collani!!! I better do the rest in English to keep everybody in the loop. The link you provided was outstanding. I once had an HK4 pistol in 9mm kurz that had a test target proofed in 1986, so it must have been lying around the HK factory for a while after production stopped which you say was in 1984.

Can you shed some light on the use of the P9S in German police service? Thank you again.
Hello kaschi,
from 1972 until the early 1980s, the P9S was used as a service weapon by the police of the German states of Bavaria, North Rhine-Westphalia and Saarland, as well as by the special unit GSG9.

Bavarian Police
Starting in 1972, the P9S was issued to SWAT units (Spezialeinsatzkommando, SEK), precision rifle squads and border police. They were marked "ByP" (Bayerische Polizei) and with the acceptance stamp of the "Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung - BWB", eagle 983 and later eagle 415. Unfortunately, it is not known how many P9S were purchased for the police in Bavaria.

Police North Rhine-Westphalia
From late 1973 to 1978, approximately 3.350 P9S in the serial number range 103xxx - 110xxx were issued to the SWAT units (Spezialeinsatzkommandos, SEK), police personal protection commandos and riot police. These were marked only with the BWB acceptance stamp eagle 983 and later eagle 852.

Saarland Police
The Saarland State Police (German: Landespolizei des Saarlandes) is one of the smallest German state police forces with approx. 2,700 police officers. The police received a total of 2.600 P9S between 1972 and 1982. They were marked with an "S" (Saarland).
P9S Saarland Police

Regards und viele Grüße!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hello Mawashi, where did you get this information that the HK 4 was the P11 before the P11? Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find any verifiable evidence of this. All HK 4 pistols delivered to the German authorities (customs and judicial agencies as well as the Berlin police) are marked "HK 4". The same applies to the packaging and the official instruction manuals.

HK 4 service pistol with .22 LR conversion kit of the German customs police
Collani
On the internet who needs verification?? lol.
Seriously, I don’t remember what I was obsessively reading when I posted that but I just quick searched and found Military-history fandom stated that 12000 HK4s were produced for German and other government agencies, serial numbered 40000-52400 designated the P11.
I would like to have posted a link to that here for you but that’s beyond my abilities with a computer. I would not call that information verified at all but it is oddly detailed if inaccurate.
Either way I enjoy your posts and knowledge in the area and interested in your take on it? I would be inclined to believe your conclusion on the matter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you collani for the in-depth info about the use of the P9S in German police service. I have a P9S that I believe falls in the NRW serial number range. I'll look and let you know. Also, I checked out another one of your posts and must say that your HK collection is very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Fascinating. Had no idea that ballistics and politics were related in that way.
You do know that a 9mm “can blow your lung out of your body” right? (Can’t remember who said that but pretty sure they were involved in politics at some level...)
Yeah....politics and ballistics tend to go hand in hand...
In fact the last cartridge I can remember that was completely ballistically unaffected by politics must have been the Black Talon. I think Winchester had to make them ballistically safer by renaming them “Cupcakes” or something like that.
Ok...I’m out of sarcasm now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts