HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old HK4 with the 380 and 22LR barrel set. I'm trying to use the 22LR barrel, but the rounds seem to jam every time when feeding. I've flipped the breech plate and all that. Near as I can tell, the extractor on it is the "universal" version, but I think it is interfereing with the feeding. The 380 rounds feed fine, and the 22 LR rounds feed fine if I hold the extractor out of the way when feeding. I think I need the dedicated 22LR extractor, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Anyone else had this problem, and do you have any ideas where to get parts for this discontinued model? Numrich doesn't have it, already checked.

·
Registered
503 Posts
this is a common problem. since it's an aniversery addition, the extractor should not be a problem. they sorted out the extractor issue in the first couple of years.
the first thing is to be sure you are using a high velocity round. If you have an owners manuel, that's what it calls for. Specificly Remington hi-v. If you don't have the owners manuel here is a web site that has it online.
http://www.hkp7.com/PDF/HK4.pdf
You can also try Aquila Sniper Subsonic 60 grain (yes 60 grain in a .22 rimfire) some have had success with that.
Also be sure the gun is well oiled. If it set for a long time, the old oil may have become thick and sticky. Clean and oil a couple times with a little bit of shooting (maybe 15 or 20 rounds) between cleanings.
let us know if this helps
Great little gun by the way.
have fun shooting

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, it's much appreciated. I think I have the problem solved. I cleaned the gun meticulously and oiled it, but there was still a feed problem. I decided to try to make it easier for the rounds to enter the breech. I used a small round file and tweaked the breech a little bit to make it smoother for the rounds to feed. I also tweaked the slot for the extractor so that it could grab the shell casing easier upon ejection. Worked perfectly, and now it's smooth as butter. I got a few boxes of different hi velocity rounds, including CCI, Federal, and Remington, and it looks like the copper jacketed round nose cartridges will feed the smoothest. It's a very neat little gun.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for the tips, it's much appreciated. I think I have the problem solved. I cleaned the gun meticulously and oiled it, but there was still a feed problem. I decided to try to make it easier for the rounds to enter the breech. I used a small round file and tweaked the breech a little bit to make it smoother for the rounds to feed. I also tweaked the slot for the extractor so that it could grab the shell casing easier upon ejection. Worked perfectly, and now it's smooth as butter. I got a few boxes of different hi velocity rounds, including CCI, Federal, and Remington, and it looks like the copper jacketed round nose cartridges will feed the smoothest. It's a very neat little gun.
outstanding bit of gun smithing. Any chance you have or know someone with a fairly good camera and could make some good close up pictures of the work and exactly what you did where?
RE: the path for getting the round into the chamber. I know I used a bit of silicone to help glide the round. That seemed to help too.
RE: ammo choice. copper jacket does seems like a good choice. Some brands use a lot of waxy lubricant and those do not seem to work well.
Well, glad you got it worked out. and thanks for sharing what you did.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
outstanding bit of gun smithing. Any chance you have or know someone with a fairly good camera and could make some good close up pictures of the work and exactly what you did where?
RE: the path for getting the round into the chamber. I know I used a bit of silicone to help glide the round. That seemed to help too.
RE: ammo choice. copper jacket does seems like a good choice. Some brands use a lot of waxy lubricant and those do not seem to work well.
Well, glad you got it worked out. and thanks for sharing what you did.
I have a 35mm film camera that I might be able to get a good closeup with. I'll just have to wait for the developing. If I get a good picture, I'll put it in Photoshop and make labels on the spots that I filed. I wish I had a dremel tool, because I think I could get it even smoother with a polishing bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts