HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used HK 4 a few weeks back. This version came with only the 22 and 32 barrel/mag. When I first went to shoot I configured it for 22. The first 5 shots went OK then I started having fail to eject (FTE) problems. The shell would be pulled out of the barrel but stayed in the gun so the next round would not seat. Trigger felt nice, accuracy was fair to poor I thought. Went home and installed the 32. Still good trigger, accuracy better than the 22 and no FTE problems.
First question to someone who has one of these, when you have it set up for 22 does the ejector stick out more than 1/8 inch? I have never seen an ejector stick so far out. When set up for 32 the ejector only sticks out a little when there is a bullet in the chamber, similar to all the other guns I am used to. The 22 just plain is about 3 times further out. I know there are new style/old style ejectors and even a universal ejector but I do not know what I have as mine came with only the one ejector. When I bought it it was set up for 32. Any Ideas?
I sure like the size and ergonomics of this pistol, I have hands on the small size and this HK4 just fits me good.

PSP
9 mm Expert
HK4
USP 45c
Kahr CW9
S&W 686+
Sig Trailside

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here is some info on swaping between the 2. Hope this helps

To strip the pistol: with the hammer cocked, put the safety on safe (the lever angled to the axis of the bore). Remove the magazine. Close the slide, if open, by pulling the trigger. Note that the hammer remains cocked. Push the latch located at the top of the inside front of the trigger guard down with your thumb. This will release the slide assembly, it will slide forward about 1/2" or so, and then may be lifted up and off the frame. This is similar to the Czech CZ-52. To remove the barrel from the slide merely push it forward about 1/4" and lift it up, angling it out of the front of the slide. Re-assemble in reverse order.
To change calibers: strip the pistol as described above. To switch to .22 you must remove the breech face plate, and change the position of the firing pin from center fire to rimfire (direct the firing pin through the hole at the top of the plate). The plate is at the rear of inside of the slide, where the base of the cartridge case is held by the extractor. To remove the plate you need to lock the extractor out of the way of the breech plate, by pushing it out with your finger until the red dot and hole through it are visible. Put a paperclip through the hole to hold it out. The pistol should come with a little metal rod for just this purpose. It will also come with a rather cheezy plastic handled screwdriver perfect for removing the screw securing the breech face, located at the top of the face plate. You must have the letter "R" side of the plate facing out (R = rimfire). If you are switching from rimfire to centerfire, you must put the firing pin through the center hole, and ensure the breech face plate has the "Z" facing out. The barrel will not go into the slide unless the proper breech face plate side is facing out for rimfire and centerfire, respectively. Once the plate is in the proper position (no change need be made to it when switching between centerfire calibers), re-install the barrel and re-assemble the pistol.
The manual speaks of having to change extractors between calibers, but my pistol has a "universal extractor" and requires no changing, so I will assume that was a very early feature, and not cover it. If yours came with multiple extractors you will need to interchange them or get a universal one. Gun Parts Corp. lists parts for this pistol, and they have an exploded diagram of it in their catalog (#18).

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I was talking to someone here about these pistols but figured I had bugged them enough about it so I will just post another question here. What are the mag capasities for the 380 and the 22?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, my HK4 came with a manual and the instructions are pretty good on how to switch between 'calibres'. What I'd like to find out is where I can obtain a universal extractor. Gunparts does not have any right now, heck, even a good pic would be nice so I can see if what I have is the universal one. I rather hope not cause that would mean there is some other reason for the FTE's. Changing/replacing the extractor is pretty easy.

Capacitys are 8 in the mag for 22, 25, and 32. The 380 capacity is 7.

PSP
9 mm Expert
USP 45c
HK4
Kahr CW9
S&W 686+
Sig Trailside

·
Registered
498 Posts
http://hkp7.com/hk4/

this site has pictures of the different extractors and parts the author has seen and some explanation

try ammo that has a higher velocity (a little more umpf ) something like CCI minimag. Of the things in this list this one could have the most to do with the FTE

Also, some other thoughts.
I've heard that it helps to use a gun cleaning product that has silicone on the ramp. I don't like silicone in general, but it may help on the ramp. That won't help the ejection prob. but may help overall.
Be sure the spring on that 22 is still strong.
check for lead buildup in the 22 barrel, a good cleaning may help. I do NOT like silicone in the barrel. check out this product. You can find an extensive thread about this product by doing a search here at HKPro.
http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks softmentor,
I'll try a good cleaning then some minimags next Sat. and let y'all know how it works. I wasn't able to open the site
http://hkp7.com/hk4/ . I'll try later and see.
I'll call around tomorrow and see if the big 45 cleaner is available locally.
Sure like to be able to shoot .22 in this, excellent ergos for my hand.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just started the dros on my "NEW" HK4 yesterday. OH WOW it is in genuine mint condition. Even the boxes are gorgeous.
I just read in the papers that came with this one that HK test fired the HK4 .22 with "Remington Hi-Speed and Hi-Speed hollow point" ammo. That tells me that HK used a cartridge that had a little more power to it than a standard cartridge. If I read Remington's web site correctly it looks like the current (may not be the same as 1982 when HK wrote this note) Hi-Speed rounds would be Thunderbolt LR (lead round nose), Cyclone LR (Hollow point) and Game Loads (Hollow point). The Thunderbolt are 1255 fps, 140 ft/# and Cyclone are 1280 fps, 131 ft/# rounds. I'm thinking we may want to try a few rounds of that. Hotter loads from Remington include Yellowjacket and Viper which are 150+ ft/#. http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/rimfire/22_rimfire.asp

CCI Mini mags are 1260/127 which is right in there with the Remington Hi-Speed rounds.
CCI Velociter get up there to 1435/185
CCI new QuikShok are way up there 1640/191 CCI cautions that QuikShok are not for match or target grade barrels. I'm not sure where that leaves us with the HK4 barrel, if it can handel that kind of pressure. That's something like 28% more, that's a lot.
I'm sure there are some other good rounds out there, but I thought it was interesting that HK used the Remington, and I thought I'd pass that along.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
I have had 100% reliability in 22 with any of the HV 22 ammo I have used, Stingers work very well, but CCI, Augulia(sp) have been the ones I use the most often.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the info land. Good to know about stingers. They are the same pressure load as the new QuikShok. I may just give them a try!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just returned from the range, I shot CCI stingers and still had FTE's. Rats! Being as this is where I bought the gun I asked for help and was told that I needed the .22 extractor, they felt that the extractor in there was one that was dedicated to the .32. BTW the stingers shot with much better accuracy then the Federals, I had also very thoroughly cleaned the BBL so maybe that helped.
My next step is to try and find a .22 or universal extractor, shooting just .32 does not appeal to me too much.
Ah, the joys of owning and shooting a 30 yr old gun.
Sure like the fit and feel of this thing.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Aguila .22LR Sniper Subsonic round will probably eject when others wont. The shell casing is about half the size of a standard 22. Can't vouch for the accuracy of the 60 grains of lead heading down range, but the shell always ejected from my HK4 when nothing else would.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts