HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have wanted to obtain a 416 for the longest time. I waited and watched as the various dealers attempted to sell the 416 upper kits/uppers for 3-4 times purchase price and I still did not buy. When Tom announced that HK was planning on introducing a civi 416/417 might heart jumped a beat. I then thought that I would just wait it out until 09 when these would become available. However, I am now debating on if I made the right decision and here are the reasons why I am having this debate:

1. The civi 416/417 would be 50/50 USA/German parts. Assuming the 50% USA parts are mainly the barrel (due to the barrel ban) then I get nervous about whether USA manufactured barrels would be of the same quality as german made barrels. I have heard the HK is shipping or would ship to the USA their cold forged hammer barrel machines but has this been confirmed? I dont know. But is there any truth to the hypo that Hans (a fictitious german name) who works in the HK German plant has the experience and patience to produce a better german made barrel than the USA HK plant? I would like some thoughts on this.

2. The civi 416/417 would be really great but they would only be offered in barrel lengths of 16" or greater. I really enjoy shooting 10.5" and 14" much more than larger barrel lengths - so this point is also factoring in my mistake in not buying a higher priced 10.5" 416 upper. Anyone know if the civi 416/417 will be in shorter barrel lengths?

3. The civi 416/417 following the suit of the M4 might not be shipped with full auto carriers. IF this is the case, then waiting for the civi 416/417 would be an effort in futility since I plan on shooting this weapon with my DIAS. I would like to hear from the experienced members on their knowledge if the civi 416/417 will keep the F/A carriers if known at this time.

Now, based on these issues, I am still wondering if I should pursue a 416 upper from a dealer at this time. It would be german made, 10.5" barrel with the F/A carrier. If you guys were in my position what would you do
?

thanks
Conrad

·
Registered
276 Posts
1) HK will probably ship in their hammer forged barrel blanks. If so, the contouring and final machining would be done here in the USA. I see no problems with that.

2) HK will probably not offer NFA options to civilians. However, LE agencies will be able to get NFA guns/parts/uppers. If LE can get them, civilians can too (except post May '86 MGs) in roundabout ways.

3) See above.

I'd just buy the upper if you want one that bad. Your other option is to sit and wait around for two years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm waiting. As for the bolt carrier, Colt sells their current police semi line with M-16 carriers and have a letter to do so . It is possible that one of the German parts will be the standard 416 select fire carrier.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i'm guessing, seeing as HK wants to sell to PDs they will be looking to make sub 16 inch uppers in the US. I'm sure you will be able to get your hands on one just like any other LMT, Bushmaster, POF, or LWRC upper that is shorter than 16 inches. the question is, will they sell you a whole rifle with a 10 or 14.5 inch upper as a SBR?.?.?.?.?.?.?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts