HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Is it possible to get the AF Hk416 barrels re-profiled to a lighter profile? Either the 14.5 or 10" version? If so, who might do it and does anyone have any pics/specs of a completed one? Does this affect reliability of the system in any way? Is it worth doing?

I figure if you were never going to ever shoot full auto, perhaps the weight reduction would be a plus after re-profiling. I mean the 416 is a "bit" heavier then other AR's. I was just wondering if it can shed a few ounces.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Mine is at IGF with Jayson as we speak.
Ditto, can't go wrong with Jayson I have had him work on two MP5K's with welding, new barrels etc and now this project. Also he does a primo job on finishes. Prices are super fair and turnaround is quick

I should have mine by next Saturday

It is gonna look schweet! ( and be nice and light too, 11 inches of SBR goodness!)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone reprofiled a HK416 Barrel, or just MR556's? I don't want to be the first one to step into that territory. And come to think about it, perhaps if I am the only one thinking about doing such a thing, perhaps its not such a good idea.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HK also told me that they would honor the warranty of and support my 416 even though I am a civilian. I doubt they would if I reprofiled it though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
HK also told me that they would honor the warranty of and support my 416 even though I am a civilian. I doubt they would if I reprofiled it though.
That's good to hear. When HK 416 uppers first hit the civi market, HK customer service would have had a much different response.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm... So now I am torn. I recieved an email back from IGF reguarding having the barrel reprofiled down to .710" under the handguards. I didn't really think about it possibly ''ruining" the 416. I just figured that I am pretty much going to be the end user on this particular upper for quite some time. I really don't look at it so much as an investment, even though to some degree it could be considered so. I was just quite disappointed by the overall weight of the 10" upper when compared to a "light weight" 14.5" upper that I also have.

I am quite stuck in a confusion as to whether I should go forward with this process or not now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Insinuasian,
Can you post a few photos of your lightweight 14.5 upper with the handguard removed? Interested in seeing the profile on the lightweight barrel. Any way you could take measurements at various points?

Thanks much!
TC

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I mentioned a 14.5" lightweight barrel, I meant a non-hk416 DI gun. Sorry for the miscommunication.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Enough to make it worth it. On the MR556 that is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts