HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to HKpro and also relatively new to gun world in general. I picked up my first gun back in February and that was my Mossberg 590. On saturday I ended up buying the HK416 .22 from my local gunstore, you could say it was love at first sight.

I have been scouring the web for any sort of info on how to clean the 416 specifically. I purchased a winchester rifle cleaning kit from Walmart but none of my brushes seem to go through the muzzle to clean my barrel. I apply pressure, but not too much force to cause damage.

I've already put 200+ rounds through my gun and I plan on cleaning it relatively soon I just need to get a bearing on the correct supplies needed. My next step is probably buying a Otis .17-.22 rimfire cleaning kit from amazon. But I would much rather prefer any advice.

I'm a bit of a rookie in this so please go easy on me ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Get a .22 boresnake from Walmart. The first time through will be tough but it'll get easier. Also some Hoppe's #9 solvent. Soak the space between the 2 brushes in the boresnake with the solvent and run it threw the barrel from the chamber side first. Keep running it through the barrel until it's clean. Last time through, use oil on the snake instead to coat the barrel.

Use a tooth brush dipped in the solvent on the rest of the "guts." Once clean, lightly oil. Wipe off excess. Use microfiber clothes. Put a little oil on a mf cloth and wipe down any/all metal parts on the outside. Wipe off excess. You're good to go!

Same applies to the shotgun. Get a 12 gauge boresnake for it as well. Cleaning this way will only take 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since these .22's don't break down as well, I remove the lower with trigger assembly group and literally hose it down with clp. A boresnake needs only a few passes down the bore and some qtips, ap brush, patches to finish the job. Most .22 plinker ammo out there is very dirty but have found spending a few extra bucks on the match grade stuff has kept my mp5sd much cleaner after an outing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts