HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HK416 flash hider questions (A2 style)

1. Does the HK416 flashhider have vents all the way 'round, or closed on the bottom like a Colt-pattern A2?
2. Is the MR556 flashhider the same as the HK416 flashhider?

Question applies to an HK416, A1, and A2 variants

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The MR556 and HK416 both have a flash hider that has cutouts all of the way around. They are the same.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying @hkpsp, here is why I am asking:

Based on the typical vendors for MR556 and HK416 parts, I see that what is claimed to be an MR556 flashhider, has cuts all the way around, and what it claimed to be an HK416 flashhider, has a closed bottom (Colt A2 style).

Thoughts and suggestions?

HK HAUS lists
"Flash Hider HK MR556" and the item pictured has cuts all the way around

HK HAUS also lists
"FLASH HIDER HK416" that has the closed bottom like the Colt A2

HKParts.net lists
"HK 416 Flash Hider - German" and the item pictured has the closed bottom

HKParts.net also lists
"German HK MR556 Factory Compensator, Flash Hider" that has the cuts all the way around

MGW lists
"Heckler & Koch MR556 Flash Hider" and the item pictured has cuts all the way around

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
This is what I have ordered from both hkparts and MGW. Both had vents all of the way around and were marked 416 on the packaging.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Every factory upper I’ve had of known origin all had the milspec a2 flash hider closed on the bottom.

mr556s all came with full cage flash hider...ports all the way around.
That said, not shocked to see some mr556/416 parts marked interchangeably for one-off parts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every factory upper I’ve had of known origin all had the milspec a2 flash hider closed on the bottom.

mr556s all came with full cage flash hider...ports all the way around.
That said, not shocked to see some mr556/416 parts marked interchangeably for one-off parts
Thank you @dms16, I was starting to come to the conclusion that vendors were just using stock pictures and mixing them up. Now I see that HK seems to be mixing them up. :oops:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thank you @dms16, I was starting to come to the conclusion that vendors were just using stock pictures and mixing them up. Now I see that HK seems to be mixing them up. :oops:
to be honest, if you want a superior A2, get one of Roger’s/FCD that’s machined like artwork. Or step up to a better Muzzle device...even HK figured it out going back to the prong on the newest Gen guns

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to be honest, if you want a superior A2, get one of Rogers/FCD that’s machined like artwork. Or step up to a better Muzzle device...even HK figured it out going back to the prong on the newest Gen guns
Shhhh! Don't distract me from my goal! I'm building an A1 10.4" clone. ;)

Kidding. Do you have a link for that Rogers/FCD A2? I can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have been collecting HK 8 slot flash hiders for a while. I like them because I don't have to index them, I don't have to use a crush or peel washer, they look better than 6 slot A1 flash hiders, and I can mount my Gemtech HALO to them.

My MR556 came with one, and since then I have been trying to find more. I found that many places advertise an MR or 416 flash hider, show a picture with 8 slots, then ship an A2 style. It got to the point when I found one, I'd order one to see what showed up, and order more if it was the right one. I did manage to find a few, some may have come from MGW, and I think I got some from the HK web store also.

I assumed that which flash hider that shipped on a rifle (416 or MR) was date code related. Interweb photo searches, as I recall, had earlier 416s with the 8 slot flash hiders and later ones with A2 style...but it's impossible to tell from random interweb photos which are factory, and which have been swapped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts