HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a barrel wrench specific to the 416/MR556? If so, where could I get it from?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I have one as well along with the necessary support mandrel. Do you need a barrel removed? Jayson at IGF also does barrel work so I would imagine he could remove your barrel for you as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I made one out of an old spanner wrench I found laying around. It worked perfectly, but I'll be honest, when I started to put pressure on the wrench to break the barrel nut lose, I gave myself a 50/50 chance of screwing something up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am going to slightly hi-jack this thread because it's on the realm of the same thing and pertinent to my question. I see Jayson's name mentioned fairly frequently for doing work. If I ever find a 556 and get it sent in to me, I am probably going to have the barrel re-profiled to be slightly lighter. From this thread I am assuming that I would just send the entire upper to Jayson and he can take it from there and get me to where I want to be and put it back together afterwards?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had Jayson at IGF do some work on my MR556 (shorten, reprofile, nitride, etc). Since, I have several of these guns I just want one if there was a way to get my hands on one. As I foresee myself having these for a long time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
bcoopa,

Nice, sounds like what I will be wanting to do as well. When ever it is I get my hands on one, its the one I plan on keeping forever as well. How do you like the nitride treatment you had done? I might as well add that in with the process as long as its already there at IGF if yours turned out well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The nitride looks great. I just got it back. I have several other rifles nitrided by someone else and I am a huge fan of it. I have three M14/M1A rifles with it. They are the easiest to clean bore, I have personally ever seen. Very little copper fouling. The nitride/Melonite has a slick feel look to it. I have heard that it actually can increase the velocity of the bullet due to the lower friction, but I have never seen any hard data to support this. It would be nice to have some quantitative data on nitriding on barrel life/accuracy/velocity etc.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Pro-tip: The barrel nut on the 416/MR556 is exactly the same diameter as the castle nut on a collapsible stock.

If you wish to make your own, simply use a single tooth(old style commercial) castle nut wrench as a template and make a wrench from a thicker steel. Don't forget to heat treat/temper the wrench when you're done though, otherwise it'll be too soft and actually bend and break rather then remove the barrel nut.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I had Jayson at IGF do some work on my MR556 (shorten, reprofile, nitride, etc). Since, I have several of these guns I just want one if there was a way to get my hands on one. As I foresee myself having these for a long time.

Big +1 for Jayson Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms

He did my work too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts