HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang!

Just read that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children are going forward with the M27. Good enough for me. I have a NFA M-16 style lower. Would love to put HK on top (God that sounds kinky!). The question is... will the full auto still function?

Thanks in advance for any information you have!

Cheers!

Dguildguy

·
Registered
700 Posts
Try to get your hands on the 416A5, they were re-designed to work excellently with 3rd party AR lowers/uppers. Civilian product line models will not work with FA/Burst lowers/uppers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was afraid of that. HK being their usual dork selves in that regard. I've seen two 416 uppers for sale so far, one was $4K the other $5K. Practically need to sell the NFA lower to afford the upper.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was afraid of that. HK being their usual dork selves in that regard. I've seen two 416 uppers for sale so far, one was $4K the other $5K. Practically need to sell the NFA lower to afford the upper.
I would happily give you 5K for the lower.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I poked around with this idea for a while and eventually (upon recommendations here) went with an LWRC 10.5" upper for my M16 rr. Overall, teh cost to take an MR556 upper, mod it to run FA got to be somewhat cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You know I considered this as well for my Hydromatic M16 RR but then kind of sat back and rethought. I've actually gone the other way the last few years on my uppers - started out with pricey PWS uppers and then realized I was burning up the barrel shooting paper with cheap ammo at 25 yards on a range. Short of a zombie apocalypse, it would be the last weapon I'd grab for serious defense. Like why? Got a screaming deal on a Colt upper <$500 and shoot it until it smokes. I think the HK 416 is just my unhealthy fascination (gun addiction) with high speed gear writ large. At any rate, love to have one but not at these prices. Matt

·
Registered
122 Posts
You know I considered this as well for my Hydromatic M16 RR but then kind of sat back and rethought. I've actually gone the other way the last few years on my uppers - started out with pricey PWS uppers and then realized I was burning up the barrel shooting paper with cheap ammo at 25 yards on a range. Short of a zombie apocalypse, it would be the last weapon I'd grab for serious defense. Like why? Got a screaming deal on a Colt upper <$500 and shoot it until it smokes. I think the HK 416 is just my unhealthy fascination (gun addiction) with high speed gear writ large. At any rate, love to have one but not at these prices. Matt
Agreed, I purchased several 6920 uppers for 500.00 each and burn them up. I only test fired the HK416 10.4" upper, save it for later. But it did work great.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Agreed, I purchased several 6920 uppers for 500.00 each and burn them up. I only test fired the HK416 10.4" upper, save it for later. But it did work great.
No question the 416 is the all that and a bag of chips when it comes to uppers - I on the other hand suffer from old age, low metabolism and too many chips so I'm forced to leave it for the HK collectors and high speed, low drag gents with bad attitudes ;-)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Just to be clear, HK didn't change the function of the semi auto to not work with a full auto lower be cause they wished to be "their usual dork selves". HK is a German company and needs to follow German law along with US law to sell here in the states. It is my understanding that German law requires the change in the 556 carrier, not US.

IMHO a 416 upper is more of a collector's item. While the short stroke piston mechanism allows longer sustained function than the direct impingement, the mechanism does not address barrel fiction and heat. Pound too many rounds in a row and the 416 barrel can be ruined. So for myself buying multiple DI uppers for the half price of a used 416 upper, seems more cost effective. Run a Beta C (or four 30 rd mags), push two pins, install fresh DI upper, and repeat. With rotation of multiple uppers no single barrel gets excessive heat and wear. Certainly a first tier operator can't carry multiple uppers with him. I sincerely doubt any collector here is a first tier operator and is buying a used 416 for mission use.

I agree that the HK 416 upper is certainly a great upper. If any member has the resources to purchase and wants one, more power to you. As a collector, I personally don't think the value for money is there for me. I'm not or have ever been a first tier operator. My shooting is done with no one shooting back. So I take a bunch of uppers and change uppers at my leisure. But that is just my opinion.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts