HKPRO Forums banner

241 - 260 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I had that nice MR556 lower, I would just have it redone to match a 416 lower. Then you have a real HK lower. Why would you use the precision lower? If you search around on here, there is at least one person I know that does a good job of engraving the auto markings. You could strip down the MR556 lower, then black anodize, then engrave the correct markings (I can send you a few references as well as the markings), then engrave the markings and other than the auto sear hole missing, it would look very close if not perfect.

Are you able to pin the real suppressor and keep the lower non NFA? Sorry if that is a dumb question, just never heard of anyone doing that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
From what I recall you can pin a real suppressor to keep the lower non SBR, but then you will run into problems on cleaning the suppressor or if you move to a state that doesnt allow NFA then your screwed. The main reason why I dont want to convert my MR556 lower is cause well, I have a MR556. I'm not a big fan of swapping uppers around so I rather have two complete rifles than one complete and an upper. I orginally looked at picking up one of the CNC 416 lowers but the cost adds up(almost 1k) and was just not feasible. Next I looked at a standard 80% lower and having HK markings engraved on it but it appears most places wont even touch it due to legal issues. Last option would be a commercial lower(Colt, POF, LMT, etc) but thinking on it since the lower itself is not a high stress area and as long as the lower is made from quality materials(7075, forged, etc) then the only difference will be the roll marks. I personally find Aero Precision marks to be visually pleasing so I have no issues with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok, to each his own. I respect your opinion.

But.......:) If it were me I would sell the mr556 upper, SBR the m556 lower, get some engraving done, and boom, you have an EXTREMELY nice beautiful gun. Just seems a shame to slap that upper on that lower when you have a wonderful option right there in my opinion.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If I had that nice MR556 lower, I would just have it redone to match a 416 lower. Then you have a real HK lower. Why would you use the precision lower? If you search around on here, there is at least one person I know that does a good job of engraving the auto markings. You could strip down the MR556 lower, then black anodize, then engrave the correct markings (I can send you a few references as well as the markings), then engrave the markings and other than the auto sear hole missing, it would look very close if not perfect.
+1. I went the same route with John. He helped encourage me to finish my project lower. And USAnodizing hardcoat was near perfect. If anyone needs engraving art, I made exact replicas of it, I would need a upper serial number (if yours has one) and type set the font for your lower to match numbers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a little free time and was finally able to finish where I left off a while back (somewhere around page 5) and I'd just like to say, there are some great looking setups and paint jobs! Though, to be honest, even the "plain-Jane" rifles are still sweet!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Peeps, I'm trying to clean-up threads so please, only genuine HK416's in this thread. For MR556/MR223 please post in the Club 556 thread. For HK uppers on non-HK lowers please post in the Club Clone thread.
Thanks in advance :)
Joe

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Factory AG 14.5" in original configuration.

Factory AH 10.4" with all the latest upgrades.

Reactions: dc4int01

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Factory AG 14.5" in original configuration.

Factory AH 10.4" with all the latest upgrades.

Awesome! Did either of yours come with the extended charging handle or ambi-safety axle? I just got an AI 10.4 and it has neither :(

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
No, I added the extended ambi handle to the AH model.
Thinking about adding the Ambi Safety next.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
No, I added the extended ambi handle to the AH model.
Thinking about adding the Ambi Safety next.
Did u use the factory handle or use an aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Factory Ambi, to the tune of $140 (ridiculous), but a must for the purist.

241 - 260 of 744 Posts