HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 748 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Gewehr 416 that's a great set of pics to really show people the guts of the 416 and very much appreciated buddy!:D

It's probably a stupid question but do you know aywhere I can get a 14.5" 416 upper for about $3,000??

I had a chance to get one but I didn't want to pay the $5,000 that they wanted for it.
Short version is you cant... i'd be suprised if you got one for under $3800 or so :( If they could be had at the $3K range I *might* be conned into buying another LOL

·
Registered
383 Posts
GtpPrix I almost got one for $2,750 on here but JMacken37 couldn't come through.

GtpPrix I almost got one through a group buy on here from JMacken37 but he couldn't make it happen.:( At that price I would have bought two of them!;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome guns! Interesting to see a lot of 'plain-jane' weapons! Is it a preference of most to keep their 416s KISS or is the upper so expensive it leaves no money for anything else?!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, KISS isn't bad, but since the HK416 is relatively new I suspect lots of people are in the process of getting the accessories and putting them on. Kilo1-1 has got a pretty good complete setup. He's got an ACOG ECOS with BUIS and Docter built in as well as a Magpul UBR and MIAD. There's also a Surefire M600 Scoutlight I believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am sure you guys all love the 416/417 but I have pretty much given up on htat set up for my M4 with 30 mags and about 10k worth of 5.56 ammo. i think all of it cost me around 2500.

i would love to have one, but I am not sure see I can see the cost efectiveness of owning one. They are great and have read where they flat out beat any type of AR variation, but at 3500 for the upper...that is steep.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Don't hate LOL

yeah I hear you and sure you can get to "There" in a Yugo but who's the cool kid? the Yugo driver or the Land Rover?

And what will make it further?

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
yeah I hear you and sure you can get to "There" in a Yugo but who's the cool kid? the Yugo driver or the Land Rover?

And what will make it further?
Not to get too far off topic here, but I have to admit there are a number of high quality DI AR's that certainly give some of the newer piston operated guns a run for their money. The Noveske N4, among others, is at the top of the list in my honest opinion.

Tspeis

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think the 416 is definitely the gold standard for the piston platform. LWRC makes a fine fine gun too from what I hear. That being said, there are many good DI guns too. Noveske, Colt, LMT are some of the best. Lots of the custom built uppers by MSTN, LaRue Stealth Upper, and such are great guns. Also, there's nothing wrong with a Colt 6920 or M4. It's a good gun. Not as reliable or clean as the HK416, but nonetheless I'm willing to bet that it's more than good enough for 99% of the civilian and law enforcement population.

I'd also like to chime in on where I think the piston guns really shine. That's with the short barreled weapons and when you're running a can. It's been said over and over that it's extremely difficult to get a 10.5" or 11.5" AR to run reliably......especially on full auto. When Spec Ops guys dump magazine after magazine in heavy contact with the enemy, the DI 10" and 14.5" guns usually don't function all that well. This is where the HK416 shorties really shine. While a 20" HK416 may be somewhat better than an M16A4, it's also very heavy. Some people may actually prefer an M16A4 in that case. However, most would agree that the 10" HK416 is much much better than a Colt Commando 11.5".

·
Banned
64 Posts
For that very reason our MK18's were replaced with 10.5" 416's I am kicking myself in the ass daily for buying a 416 when I got issued one soon after. However the only can we could get the 10.5" 416 to run on was the OPSINC. All others increased the bolt velocity so much that bolt was actually faster then the follower on the last round and sometimes if you had an old mag faster then it could feed a fresh one.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Not to get too far off topic here, but I have to admit there are a number of high quality DI AR's that certainly give some of the newer piston operated guns a run for their money. The Noveske N4, among others, is at the top of the list in my honest opinion.

Tspeis
For your standard LEO's and plinkers yeah. But lets not forget someone who has to haul it through all sorts of crap. DI guns get FILTHY under suppressed fire. I think I clean my issue 416 every 1000 rounds. When we went to shot we were approached by all the reps from POF, LWRC, PWS, LMT, Bushy, colt etc on thier piston systems. The one question we asked them was the following:

"Can you assure me that this system straight out of the box, zeroed and put into action will not fail me at the most in oppertune time?"

All the answers were the same: "No one can tell you that"

Our Reply: "Sure but 60K rounds is a pretty warm and fuzzy"

The fact is that the difference between a 416 and a DI gun with an "Adaptor Kit" is that the 416 may have the "Appearance" of an M4 platform but it is a complete redesign.

Ask any of the afore mentioned manufactuers what you should take along as a deployment kit for a 6 month DET and they will give you a list of springs, ancillary parts and sometimes a bolt.

I don't know about you all but it ain't my first time at a rodeo and I don't have time to do depot level maintanance in a fire fight.

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
For your standard LEO's and plinkers yeah. But lets not forget someone who has to haul it through all sorts of crap. DI guns get FILTHY under suppressed fire. I think I clean my issue 416 every 1000 rounds. When we went to shot we were approached by all the reps from POF, LWRC, PWS, LMT, Bushy, colt etc on thier piston systems. The one question we asked them was the following:

"Can you assure me that this system straight out of the box, zeroed and put into action will not fail me at the most in oppertune time?"

All the answers were the same: "No one can tell you that"

Our Reply: "Sure but 60K rounds is a pretty warm and fuzzy"

The fact is that the difference between a 416 and a DI gun with an "Adaptor Kit" is that the 416 may have the "Appearance" of an M4 platform but it is a complete redesign.

Ask any of the afore mentioned manufactuers what you should take along as a deployment kit for a 6 month DET and they will give you a list of springs, ancillary parts and sometimes a bolt.

I don't know about you all but it ain't my first time at a rodeo and I don't have time to do depot level maintanance in a fire fight.
You're right. I should have been a bit more clear with my previous post. For what myself and most LEO's or civilians will be using these guns for, a decent DI AR will do just fine.

Having said that, if you're going to be running an SBR, running a suppressor, doing lots of full auto fire or racking up very high round counts in short periods of time, the piston guns are definitely the way to go. Among all the piston operated platforms available, the best choice in my opinion is still the HK416.

I'm am curious, however, as to why your 10.5" 416's would not run properly with any other cans. I've seen them run fine with everything from Surefire, AAC, and KAC to Gemtech and AWC. I had heard rumors that some of the initial guns were having some issues a with suppressors some time ago and IIRC, HK made some changes to rectify the issue. I know there's also a two position, adjustable gas regulator available for the 416 (similar to the one found on the 417) with settings for suppressed and normal fire. Maybe that would help alleviate your suppressor complications.

Anyway, thanks for your input on the subject. :)

Tspeis

·
Banned
64 Posts
Always happy to offer advice

Like I tell my friends regarding firearms or mil gadgets

"Before you buy it ask me 'cause I have probably used it"

·
Registered
297 Posts
Very nice! What kind of lower is that? I take it that's your personal weapon and not your issued gun. I'm guessing that people let their military guns get beat up to hell because that's their fighting tool and survival device. Then in the civilian world, everyone more or less babies their rifle since it's their hard earned money put into it and their survival doesn't depend on the civilian gun.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Awesome studio quality pics SMGLee.

21 - 40 of 748 Posts