HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals what would you spend $3500 on a HK416 upper or a HDPS UMP?

I'm leaning toward the 416 but have two concerns:
1) HK will release a semi auto version to the US civilian market. It would be
a hard pill to swallow if some day I could buy a complete rifle for far less
than just the upper. I know this is highly unlikely but still a concern.
2) The current sources of 416 uppers. I've had bad luck purchasing from
private individuals in the past and that's the only source I've seen for
416 thus far.

Mike

·
Banned
4,248 Posts

416 thus far.

If I were you, I would not lose ANY sleep worrying or waiting for anything to hit the civilian market....especially a complete 416. Look around the boards a bit more, and you'll get a feel for HK's concern (or lack there of) for the civilian. I'm amazed that they brought back the SL8 and USC. Either way you're going to have a half HK weapon mated with other non-HK parts. With the 416 though, you have options to have it be full auto someday, should you decide to go that route.

As for the second aspect. I get a little urge to pull the trigger when I see a 416 upper for 3500, the couple of times i've seen them posted. However, I have no clue as to who some of these guys are. If you decide to go the 416 route, I'd wait until you see a seller that has a decent reputation. You may pay more, but peace of mind is priceless.

And if you still can't decide, compare what the amount would be if you decide to go another route. For example:

1 HK 416 upper = Cold 6920 NIB + ACOG NIB + 10 HK 416 Mags + 1000 rnds

That's the final test for when I struggle to make a large purchase.....consider your "opportunity costs"

·
Registered
114 Posts
Go with the 416. USC to UMP conversions will just multiply in numbers rapidly, where the 416's will very slowly get to the civilian market. Just my .02 cents.
-Jason G

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree that the 416 is a little more rare and hard to find, but...
My HDPS UMP is by far my favorite rifle, if you dont get one now you should get one soon.
And I know you could build one for well under $3500, well under $3000 for that matter.
Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I could walk into a store and they were both on the wall I would walk out with the 416 upper.
I guess that means I should be patient and try and find an "acceptable" price+source for an 416 upper.
However in the mean time I'm thinking I should pick up a USC and save it for a rainy day. ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would have to go with the UMP. I guess for me there are options out there for a piston driven AR other then HK. POF and LMT both make a upper or complete upper for a lot less then the HK's that are available now. I know it does not say HK on it but its the same technology and design and they have had perfect reviews. Its not like its a clone, in fact I am not to sure HK was the first with the design. I would buy the UMP which isnt going to be all HK either since its converted and go buy an upper at half the cost when you can. I have seen that Bushmaster is also getting into the game and would suspect others are soon to follow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LMT actually has a piston upper? I heard they had one in the works but ...

It's not that it's a piston upper it's an "HK" piston upper and I have room in my safe. :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
416 upper for the right price. anything over $4k-$4500 is too much ( as if $4k is not alot of money for an upper! ).

·
2,832 Posts
I say the USC/UMP......I LOVE mine(TE) very fun gun and its not something you see everyday, they will not be getting cheaper. The 416 would be cool.....but they look to most folks just like a normal AR and the cost "may" come down.....maybe

if 416 uppers were(and they aint) $2K.....then I'd say the 416

·
Registered
870 Posts
if 416 uppers were(and they aint) $2K.....then I'd say the 416[/QUOTE]

If 416 Uppers were $2K, I'd get a 10 inch and a 14.5 inch LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts

416 thus far.

Mike

UMP, unless your reasons for purchasing the 416 upper are purely esthetic. The 416 is a terribly expensive animal for what it really is, while a UMP conversion is pretty unique. There are tons of options for quality AR15/M16 uppers that will all pretty much do the same thing as the 416, for ALOT less money.

It floors me what people will pay for a 416 upper. For that kind of money you are basically in the ballpark for some of the cheaper transferrable MGs.

HTH

·
Banned
34,574 Posts
Personally, UMP!

The HK416 upper would be more of a collector, than shooter, item in my opinion as they will probably never be available to the civilian market.

The UMP conversion as a shooter, and they are readily more available.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pistons are coming...

My vote would have to be the UMP.

EVERY company will have a piston soon enough, alot already do. that is the draw, other than two letters.

Your talking MP5 & MP5-K host money which I would think would have more value as a collectable.

You are getting a complete weapon, not the 416, your able to interchange calibers, not the 416, and everyone will have a piston soon....just like the 416!

V

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the status of the USC? Is it still being imported?
I've read (in an ad) that they are no longer imported but my local gun store said that the USC is on backorder and that they should have one before the first of the year.

·
Registered
335 Posts
UMP. Without a doubt. Not that I would mind getting a 416 but having a UMP-like USC, it is without a doubt my favorite gun. And now that I can swap out barrels and bolts in say 5 minutes, it's a no brainer to get a gun you can get caliber conversions for. Besides, 223 ammo is nowhere near 40SW or 45ACP in price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My choice: 416 vs UMP

416- without question. The 416 is a serious tool, for serious work, with serious performance. How many videos of beta mag dumps and you seen from $15-20K+ MG's but you are supposed to collect a 416 upper- not me. Mine is a tool... not a toy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts