HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so now BushMaster is making a Gas Piston operated upper as well.

So all four are gas piston operated, my question is; has anyone shot one or all of these weapons and can you tell me the differences/similarities, pros/cons of each system?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bushmaster is actually Gen I POF. Both are based on the FN System and POF actually uses an FN gas block. L&W uses a short stroke piston like HK. A friend is getting delivery his LWRC next week and I am curious to see it next to my HK416 and a Robinson.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Haven't shot any of them, but my friend just got his LWRC about a week and a half ago. Hopefully I will get to shoot it this weekend.

I have held the Sig 556 and I can tell you the gun is very front heavy when compared to my S&W M&P15T. For a sporting rifle (in semi only) it seems to give the gun a poor balance. In a full auto setup I think the extra weight and its bias probably would help out. Overall the Sig is just longer and heavier than a standard 16" AR-15. Strip down of the Sig is extremely simple and would seem to be easier to clean, but this may be a moot point with a piston AR setup. Sig is solid, but there are some who question the first run guns.

LWRC has a good reputation for their quality and gas piston AR's. They are pricey though.

Don't know too much about the POF/Bushmaster gas piston AR's.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can tell you first hand that the 556 is sweet set up. Almost 800rds thru mine and not one hic-up.Nice trigger, moa accuracy.It felt front heavy with the original handguard but since swapping that out with a set from a 551, it seems to balance much better.I swapped out the rear stock for a magpul too. Some say that sig missed the mark with these but I like mine.The early ones had some issues(mainly cosmetic) but Sig has those taken care of. Check out a R.A. XCR while your at it.Wonderful platform,very innovative.Haven't nearly the rounds thru that as the Sig but not a gripe about it either. I bought both to compare thinking I'd sell the worse of the two, but they both are staying. At least for now. You can buy either for about what some of just the piston uppers cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LWRC

I would say that due to the high cost of the HK 416 upper, the LWRC is most economical alternative available to the HK 416. I just got mine several days ago and will post a range report shortly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Haven't shot any of them, but my friend just got his LWRC about a week and a half ago. Hopefully I will get to shoot it this weekend.

I have held the Sig 556 and I can tell you the gun is very front heavy when compared to my S&W M&P15T. For a sporting rifle (in semi only) it seems to give the gun a poor balance. In a full auto setup I think the extra weight and its bias probably would help out. Overall the Sig is just longer and heavier than a standard 16" AR-15. Strip down of the Sig is extremely simple and would seem to be easier to clean, but this may be a moot point with a piston AR setup. Sig is solid, but there are some who question the first run guns.

LWRC has a good reputation for their quality and gas piston AR's. They are pricey though.

Don't know too much about the POF/Bushmaster gas piston AR's.
I am looking into purchasing a S&W. Your model to be exact. How has it fared for you so far? I can get it for 1,200 at my dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I could also add, for a low cost alternative. Armalite makes the AR-180B. A gas piston AR variant. MSRP is $750, but you can pick them up at the gun shops for about $600. It has a poly lower that is perminatly attached to the butt stock. Maybe I can find a pic to post later. I have heard good reviews about it, but bear in mind you get what you pay for. It's no LWRC or HK 416, but it does look promising as a cheap alternative.

The AR-180B is a 5.56 (NATO) and uses AR15/M16 mags and trigger groupings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
AMEN

I would say that due to the high cost of the HK 416 upper, the LWRC is most economical alternative available to the HK 416. I just got mine several days ago and will post a range report shortly.

I can save you some words on your report writting ........ rifle functions 100% the only problem I had was bad ammo old LC SS109 failed to ignite other than that ...... I love mine ... specially the price 1/3 of the 416 price and a true short piston upper unlike the BM ... :1200000:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Predator upper IMHO is the ugliest thing I have seen, at one time I hade a 11.5 upper and took off the rail, I manage to adapt a ARMS SIR on my 11.5 and that made a cosmetic difference however I end up keeping my LWC since it's truly a SSP upper unlike the BM, LWC self regulates the BM you have to turn the plug to suit your ammo needs .......:83:

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,701 Posts
Locked. This thread is taking no time to veer away from HK completely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.