HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to advise that the new PMAG30 polymer magazines will NOT function with the HK416 weapons. The magazine will not seat due to the design of the 416's extended magwell. I passed this information on to Adam Webber who had sourced the item for me (as a demo) and he promptly checked with the manufacturer regarding this issue. We found out that they are aware and that although they are not going to redesign their PMAG30, they have incorporated changes into a new 20-round magazine (PMAG20?) that will be able to function perfectly with the 416.

I had not seen this posted anywhere else so I posted it up here to pass along. Kudos to Adam and MagPul for their prompt attention to this situation!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just thinking out loud here but... is it possible for the user to "modify" the PMag (like file or sand a certain portion of the mag) to make it fit onto the 416? Just wondering.

A

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never handled a 416 lower, but I do own a few PMAGs. I think you could probably get it to work if you sand down the ridge that fits right up against the normal AR/M16 magwell.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are pmags even that great!? I haven't heard too many positives about them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 7 and they have replaced my GI mags as my duty mags. I like them so much that I ordered 4 more.

I like that they seat when loaded to a full 30. They are very smooth feeding and have been 100 % reliable for me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They have had problems, but Magpul has so far been 100% committed to the recalls and replacing with functional magazines. Any new product will have a few teething issues, but i'd be confident with them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do they offer anything over current USGI mags or 416 mags?

·
Registered
39 Posts
A friend of mine bought 4 to try out in his LMT rifle and none of the worked! He finally sold them off to someone for nostalgia. Each one jammed in his gun. I lent him some HK416 mags and we fired the rest of the day with no problems out in the Nevada Desert with the extreme heat last summer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
They are great mags IMO, they wont dent or rust and are easier to grip I will be buying more and they are my go to mags

They have had problems, but Magpul has so far been 100% committed to the recalls and replacing with functional magazines. Any new product will have a few teething issues, but i'd be confident with them.
The only problems was with the Gen 1s, they didnt like heaver rounds or guns w/o feed ramps but that was addressed and a few werent cooled properly so they had some issues but they have all been resolved

They are light, you can load 30 rounds in them and still easily do a 'tactical' reload w/o having to smack them so hard and they have a window built in so you can see your remaining rounds, they can be produced faster than GI mags and for cheaper, no rust etc. i love them

·
Super Moderator
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are great mags IMO, they wont dent or rust and are easier to grip I will be buying more and they are my go to mags

The only problems was with the Gen 1s, they didnt like heaver rounds or guns w/o feed ramps but that was addressed and a few werent cooled properly so they had some issues but they have all been resolved

They are light, you can load 30 rounds in them and still easily do a 'tactical' reload w/o having to smack them so hard and they have a window built in so you can see your remaining rounds, they can be produced faster than GI mags and for cheaper, no rust etc. i love them
Much more. PMAGs are the best M16 mags made, far surpassing the HK mag.

See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdesKUSUchA

Celt
PMAGs are fabulous mags. There's no doubt about it. I'm certain there were teething problems; however, they are a fantastic product. I don't know that I want to modify them to work with the 416 though, as I already have 7 of the HK factory mags. I picked up a Spike's Tactical AR15 lower from Kilo-1 and I'll be using PMAGs with it. And when the 20-rounders come out, I'll get a few of those.

·
Registered
297 Posts
MagPul is a great American Company and they make wonderful mags in my opiinion.....at least the current ones. For the price, the MagPuls are awesome! I haven't had a single malfunction after over 2000 rounds through 2 mags. I know this isn't that much but it's definitely good enough for me. I have lots of HK mags too, and they have worked flawlessly too. PMags, HK Mags, and GI mags with Magpul followers and braided springs all work good from my limited experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Larry Vickers (one of the people behind the 416) recently opined a recommendation of dumping the HK magazines for serious use. He now recommends the Magpul PMAG's or enhanced GI issue mags.

It seems quite a few people who were 416 magazine fans no longer want anything to do with them after using them in combat.

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=88803&postcount=43

He made another pretty bold statement against the HK magazines, but I didn't look for it. With the atmosphere as of late I'm sure I'll get called a poo poo head, get told I'm a liar, have people calling me other random insults, etcetera, but all you have to do is search his posts on the site referenced above.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ahh, I love the "the new mag will surely fix my AR-15's problems" cycle. There is always something that is going to make it work. For a while, HK got to sell their mags. Now, PMAG's (no, not the recalled ones, the new gooder ones) are magic.

Whatever.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
So, what is the issue with the HK mag? I haven't had any problems with mine?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Supposedly they lost their mojo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How does the breakdown ...

go again...

Problem solving "101" for the AR familyof weapons:

1. Operator

2. Ammo

3. Magazine

when all else fails....add oil!!!

Really, just ask Crapsmasher.

Great video though. I triedto order about 3,000 of them for my guy's here, and they were giving me a smoking deal, but the bean counters would not spend the extra $1.95 per for the PMAG.

I wish i had some out here.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Are you still supposed to keep the cap on them to keep them from bending the feed lips?

·
Registered
60 Posts
From what was posted in public by some of the most credible people in the industry, the feed lips are incredibly prone to being damaged, and the springs wear out prematurely. The spring problem would be easily addressed, except HK refuses to sell replacement springs.

Ahh, I love the "the new mag will surely fix my AR-15's problems" cycle. There is always something that is going to make it work. For a while, HK got to sell their mags. Now, PMAG's (no, not the recalled ones, the new gooder ones) are magic.

Whatever.
Greg, could you for once fight the urge to spout off your inexperienced propaganda? Seriously, your all things AR15 related suck philosophy has long gone stale. While you torture test your HK45 by shooting paper at the range, there are people who actually use these tools in combat who have factual opinions that contradict your own.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts